Brewer Fanatic

04/20/2004 - Arizona (Dessens) @ Milwaukee (Sheets)

squarepusher

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mari-wanna beat the Diamondbacks...sorry!

(Still, I can't wait to hear the ovation for Richie. I wish I could be there in person to salute him properly, and it's the only way Brewer fans get to see a perennial All-Star...)

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

The Crew is gonna have to bust ass to have a winning or .500 record at the end of April, but it is do-able. How nice would that be!?!?! It sure sould start to generate some casual fan interest if they can hover near .500 and win some at home near the end of April here...

It's nice for them to be able to have a few short home series with a few days off scattered in there to end the month...started off with a long 14-game stratch against some pretty good teams.

Can't say as I'm displeased with the 6-8 record so far...just the sometimes shoddy pitching which I expected anyway.

I really want the Brewers to beat up on Arizona and finish the season with a a better record than the Diamondbacks. Anytime a player gets traded out of Milwaukee and seems very happy and excited to be leaving, it makes me feel sick. I take it very personally.

I am not going to lie. I would honestly feel better if the Diamondbacks sank down the toilet this season.

There's a chance the Crew could get 6 players for nothing, if the D-Backs continue to play this terribly and have to deal Richie at the deadline to a contender. Beating Dessens is crucial, he has been pretty successful against the Brewers in the past so that may be tough. I'm not sure what the D-Backs are sending out on the hill on Wed and Thurs (Unit and Webb?), but hopefully they can take two out of three and get back on track. StL coming to town on the weekend isn't that great and is definitely beatable as we saw in the opening series, then they play the likes of Cincy, Pittsburgh, Mets, and Montreal - the Crew has a good shot at sticking around and being a bit of a pest.

"really want the Brewers to beat up on Arizona and finish the season with a a better record than the Diamondbacks. "

Amen to that.

btw look at the yankees record than look at us. Oh ya and might as well peek at the salary cap.

The next two weeks are definitely crucial to the Brewers' chances of making a run a the .500 mark. They currently sit in the same position they do every year, on the brink of tanking or making something of the season...the question is, what will it be this year?

Tuesday's game is HUGE for several reasons. For one, they are already two games under .500 and don't want to fall any lower than that. Secondly, the pitching matchup is in favor of the Brewers whereas the next couple of games it won't be. Third, I think most casual fans are waiting for the Brewers to go on one of their patented losing streaks. A bad homestand will not only kill their record, but will kill A LOT of what little fan interest there already is.

The Brewers have weathered the storm against the contenders and now have a legitimate chance to improve their record in a big way over the course of the next few weeks and it all starts with tomorrow's game. Gotta get off to a good start.

420 is just an underground term for smoking pot. No one really knows how it started, although their are plenty of rumors. So anything having to do with 420, 4:20, or 4/20 is just considered a veiled drug reference.

And now you know.

I spent 90 percent of my teen years in a drug induced fog,so 420 was a very common part of our crowds vernacular.Thinking back at it now,it's funny all the different terms those in the drug crowd came up with for a variety of things,kind of like our own language.I could hold conversations about partying and drugs over the phone right in front of my dad and he'd be clueless to what i was talking about.

I believe that the date 4/20 was when pot was made illegal in the United States by some sort of legislation. Not sure what year, but I think that is where it came from.

EDIT - I was way off. Marijuana was made illegal on 8/20/1937. I did however stumble onto this bit of information....

THE ORIGIN OF "420"

A recent discussion on our Parenting Advice and Support Forum, had this Guide in puzzlement. I had reported years ago that the term 420(pronounced four twenty, not four hundred and twenty), was police code for smoking marijuana in a feature on pager codes that teenagers use to "talk" to each other. I began researching the number again and it seems I was wrong. Read on to learn the myths, the truth about the origin and what this term means for parents.

Known Myths

Police dispatch code for smoking pot is 420.

The number 420 is not police radio code for anything, anywhere. Checks of criminal codes suggest that the origin is neither Californian nor federal. For instance, California Penal Code 420 defines as a misdemeanor the hindrance of use of public lands.

There are approximately 420 active chemicals in marijuana.

Actually, there are approximately 315 active chemicals in marijuana. This number goes up and down depending on which plant is used.

April 20th is National Pot Smokers Day.

Well, it is now; but that wasn't the origin.

April 20th is Hitler's birthday.

Yes, it is his birthday. But, as 420 started out as a time, not a date, his birthday had nothing to do with it.

The date of the Columbine school shootings.

This happened after the term was already in use.

4:20 is tea time for pot-smokers in Holland.

Tea time in Holland is at 5:30 pm, or is it 2:30 pm? Seems no one is quite sure when the wonderful people of Holland drink their tea.

The Origin Revealed

According to Steven Hager, editor of High Times, the term 420 originated at San Rafael High School, in 1971, among a group of about a dozen pot-smoking wiseacres who called themselves the Waldos, who are now pushing 50. The term was shorthand for the time of day the group would meet, at the campus statue of Louis Pasteur, to smoke pot. Intent on developing their own discreet language, they made 420 code for a time to get high, and its use spread among members of an entire generation. While our teens feel that they know something we don't, you can let them in on the fact that it was your generation that came up with the numbers.

A quote from one of the Waldos in the High Times article states, "We did discover we could talk about getting high in front of our parents without them knowing by using the phrase 420." Fortunately, your teenagers will not have that same option.

Whatever!

Simply put, 420 is a symbol of cannabis and its culture. Today, April 20th events are international, and 4:20 pm has become sort of a world wide "burn time". It certainly doesn't matter too much where the term came from because for us parents, it's a flag, a warning sign that our teenagers may be into something that could harm their future. When you see the symbol 420, be aware of what it represents

Archived