Brewer Fanatic

04/18/2004 - Milwaukee (Capuano) @ Houston (Clemens)

MassBrew

squarepusher will likely get you your pre-game links, but kicking off the game thread with this from the Springfield (Mass.) Republican:

Living a dream

By RON CHIMELIS

rchimelis@repub.com

Pitching against Barry Bonds didn't awe Chris Capuano, but going head-to-head against Roger Clemens ... well, that's another story.

Capuano believes he's up to the task he faces today, when the Milwaukee Brewers' left-hander from West Springfield gets the start at Houston. He doesn't deny, however, that today's matchup against Clemens is a thrill, and a dream come true.

"This is one of those times you pinch yourself, and say you're really in the big leagues," said Capuano, a Cathedral High School graduate who was traded from Arizona to Milwaukee in the off-season.

"Times like this are so exciting," Capuano said. "I kind of idolized Roger as a kid. Facing him is sort of surreal."

In his last start, Capuano showed he does not flinch from a challenge. Pitching in San Francisco, he kept Barry Bonds in the ballpark three times, denying Bonds his historic 661st career home run.

Bonds singled, walked and popped up against Capuano, who left after five innings. In the seventh, Bonds homered off reliever Ben Ford, breaking a third-place tie with Willie Mays on baseball's all-time home run list.

"He's not superhuman," said Capuano, who challenged Bonds, rather than pitching around him. "I know if I make my best pitches against him, I can get him out. If you make your pitches, he's just like any other hitter."

Well, maybe not quite.

"Bonds has a knack for laying off the borderline pitches, and he waits until the pitcher has to throw a strike," said Capuano (1-1, 3.27 ERA), who faced Bonds as a rookie last year. "And most of the balls he hits out are up in the zone."

Capuano said he understood the historic significance of the night, but didn't get preoccupied by it. He took the 4-2 loss not because of Bonds, but because of Marquis Grissom, who hit two home runs.

Now comes Clemens (2-0), a 21-year veteran who retired last fall, changed his mind, and is in the National League for the first time. He brings a 0.66 ERA into today's game.

Growing up, Capuano didn't pattern himself after Clemens, and not just because Clemens is a righty and he's not.

"I could throw heat by 'em in Little League, but my fastball is just average now," said Capuano, 25, whose repertoire includes an effective changeup. "What I always liked about Clemens, though, was his work ethic. You hear that younger guys have trouble keeping up with his running and his workout schedule, and I admire that."

Capuano says he's almost as excited to hit against Clemens as to pitch against him. Against St. Louis' Jeff Suppan on April 8, Capuano singled for his first major league hit.

"That would be something, if I could get a knock (hit) off Roger," he said. If he did, though, would the Rocket send him sprawling the next time up?

"I think the only way Roger would do that is if I took him yard," said Capuano, laughing at the thought of hitting a home run off Clemens.

Today's game, though, is serious business for Capuano and the Brewers, whose 6-7 start has come mostly on the road and against tough opposition.

Capuano likes Brewers manager Ned Yost and pitching coach Mike Maddux, who have shown patience with younger players. He's savoring the experience, but he's not daunted by the challenge.

"Last year was good for me, coming up with Arizona and getting into some pressure situations," Capuano said. "My first game, I came into an extra-inning situation, and the first two guys I faced were Chipper Jones and Andruw Jones.

"Against Los Angeles, I faced Shawn Green and Jeromy Burnitz," Capuano said. "I faced Bonds last year."

Today, he faces Clemens, a special moment - and a tremendous test - for a ballplayer from Western Massachusetts who made it to the big leagues.

"I love it," Capuano said. "That's the goal that drives you, to face the best. It's the greatest test of your skill and craft."

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Capuano has a much better shot at taming the Astros line-up than Davis had. He actually has a change-up, unlike Davis who basically throws 80 cutters and 20 straight fastballs. I've got a feeling this will be a low scoring affair.

I am no pitching coach, but it seemed that Capuano did not have good velocity in the early part of the game during his last start. But after a few innings, his fastball showed more life and he was very effective.

I am wondering if he needs to warm up a little more before the start of the game. Let's see what happens today.

I am no pitching coach, but it seemed that Capuano did not have good velocity in the early part of the game during his last start. But after a few innings, his fastball showed more life and he was very effective.

Thats also a sign of injury. I don't want to speculate though.

Obviously this team could use a victory against Clemons today. It would be good for moral after the Kinney incident.

Thats also a sign of injury. I don't want to speculate though.

I doubt it. He threw in the mid 90s and got hurt. He's been pitching with the new ligament for just over a year now. I think what Cappy does is that he likes to change speeds. As he gets the old velocity back, he'll probably dial it up more, but until then his 89 mph heater won't fool too many.

Is there anything that pisses you off more than serving up a home run to the guy hitting in the 8 hole, with no one on base, and a below-average hitting pitcher on deck?!?!

The way Clemons is pitching it looks like that will be the game winner.

with the lineup we are throwing out there today, we might as well call it a loss and get on the plane early..why even waste our time? I'm sure the guys would appreciate getting back to Milwaukee a bit earlier today. My guess, Astros 4 Brewers 0. We scrape out a hit in the 5th, and thats about it.

this is just great...looks like Capuano is hurt. Wes Obermueller is in, so we don't lose to much on the short term...but if Capuano is really hurt it could be disastorous ini the long term...don't forget Sheets is hurt too.

Now that Obermueller is in the game, Matt Kinney is virtually a lock to start on Thursday against Brandon Webb and the Diamondbacks.

That's entirely dependent on how many pitches Wes throws today. If they bring in Burba after ~ 50 pitches for Wes, he could easily start on 3 days rest on Thursday.

So when are we going to hear the calls to replace Obemueller in the rotation?

You can blame Obie for the hit given up to Clemens (that seems to be the M.O. of this team - giving up big hits to the opposing teams pitchers). But you can't blame Obie for the two balls that went over the head of Pods. Berkman can crush it - there's no excuse for playing so shallow that a ball hit by Berkman lands over your head but before the warning track (yes, it it deep in CF there, but the warning track is well ahead of the hill at ~ 400' where most CF fences are).

Nifty catch by Berkman robs Helms.

Things just haven't gone the Crew's way against the Astros so far this year. Houston really does have a good team this year -- let's hope they can take the division away from the Cubs.

MJC

Archived