Brewer Fanatic

04/24/2004 - St Louis (Williams) @ Milwaukee (Saenz)

squarepusher
Wow. I'm not sure which is more surprising: Matheny letting a ball past him for a wild pitch or both teams scoring via the wild pitch in the same inning.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've got to love the wins, but you also have to be a little worried with the run production. Five runs in two games against the Cardinals + the blanking in extra innings against the D-Backs you have to be little worried with the run production as of late (I am). Let's hope this is a fluke, rather than a harbinger of offensive performance in previous years.

But, great win! Saenz pitched great!

MJC

What on earth is going through Ben Hendrickson's mind right now? Saenz gets promoted right by him, and makes an impressive first impression on the Major League level despite Hendrickson's seniority on the food chain and equivocal success at AAA. It can't be anything about the 40-man roster spot, either, because Ben's there too. I guess Hendrickson just has to keep his head up and show that he belongs in the show, too.

I wonder if this will have any influence on Chris' power 50 slot?

He had already moved up a number of spaces before this start, and he's probably going to move up a few more now. We'll all know in about 5 hours.

I wonder if this will have any influence on Chris' power 50 slot?

Are there any precedents where a player's major league performance has influenced his Power 50 standing? I ask, seeing as it is mainly prospects on it.

Are there any precedents where a player's major league performance has influenced his Power 50 standing?

Not really. Most of the guys that have made it in the past were either already #1 (Sheets, Neugy), or tweeners with limited MLB success after promotion (Hall, Oby).

Was bound to happen, though, and I hope it happens some more.

Very impressive performance by Saenz. It will be interesting to see if he stays up for a few days or if they demote him and recall a reliever from Indianapolis. Regardless of what happens, I'm sure this will be a very memorable day for Chris and hopefully this will be a catalyst for a breakout year at Huntsville. MassBrew's been pimping Chris for a while now - looks like he mined himself a nice nugget! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/images/2004/04/24/GPFEGQEd.jpg

~Bill

What on earth is going through Ben Hendrickson's mind right now? Saenz gets promoted right by him, and makes an impressive first impression on the Major League level despite Hendrickson's seniority on the food chain and equivocal success at AAA. It can't be anything about the 40-man roster spot, either, because Ben's there too. I guess Hendrickson just has to keep his head up and show that he belongs in the show, too.

Toby, fate really stepped in Ben's way in this instance. Saenz was rested, Ben was not. Little doubt Hendrickson would have received the call otherwise.

Toby, fate really stepped in Ben's way in this instance. Saenz was rested, Ben was not. Little doubt Hendrickson would have received the call otherwise.

Also, I think Saenz was the short-term idea. Had they felt a starter was needed for several games, then it would have been Ben. But this time the need was for someone who could soak up innings as a starter or reliever (had Kinney been shelled). Add to that the fact that Hendrickson should be up by July to stay, I would think they felt he'd benefit more from the time in AAA while Saenz would come up for 1 or two starts and be sent right back to further his development.

I also read that the minor league rotation fell so that Saenz would be the gut to get this start. Just timing . . .nothing more.

But when you ask how Hendrickson feels, I hope the answer is motivated. Motivated to pitch well, prove himself further, and be ready when his number is called.

Nothing brings out the best in a preformer like competition.

WOW! WOW! WOW! Saenz was amazing!!! I am still in awe! Maybe next year we can get rid of Kinney and the other mediocre pitchers and have a real pitching staff. And to think, Saenz is not even as highly regarded of a prospect as Jones, Hendrickson, Ford, DLR and Sarfate. Can't wait to see what this talented group of pitchers produces in the next few years. Add in Fielder and Weeks...

Mass help me out. How do i get both to play. I can only get the TV feed or the Radio.

Start the audio feed first, and when it opens in the MLB Media Player, select preferences, and choose "Play in Real Player".

Then open the video in the MLB player.

Sometimes you have to pause one or the other to sync up the timing initially, but once you do, you're golden!

Right now I'm only pulling up the Brewer audio when it's the opponent's video feed, but I'm tempted to do so as well for the Brewer TV feeds -- I'm just very comfortable with Bob and Jim from years' past.

Quotes from the Brewers' site:

"I'm in awe right now," Dave Burba said. "I think it's unbelievable."

"I was impressed from the first pitch of the game," Dan Kolb said of Saenz. "I don't think I've ever seen a rookie throw a first-pitch breaking ball. He showed some poise and composure."

"He wasn't [pitching from] the stretch very much," manager Ned Yost said. "He was in the wind-up the majority of the day. He was moving his fastball in and out and he had a nasty slider which was buckling them. What he did out there today ... that's phenomenal."

"He was awesome," Jeff Bennett said. "He has unbelievable stuff and he has a real good head on his shoulders."

What was Saenz throwing well? "Everything," catcher Chad Moeller said. "A fastball that he had pretty good command of. A lot of breaking balls for strikes that really had a lot of the guys buckling. And he was able to use his changeup effectively, too. "You've got to dream it like that," Moeller said, "but it doesn't always happen that way."

"He needs to stick around," Geoff Jenkins said. "Against that lineup, what he did? That's incredible."

Saenz struck out eight in each of his two starts for Huntsville this season. Last Sunday, he held Montgomery scoreless on one hit for six innings and allowed only three fair balls out of the infield. He retired the first 13 batters he faced and did not issue a walk.

Full article:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...;fext=.jsp

With such a dominant performance, you would think he would get another start. Possibly (hopefully) Kinney or Obermueller will get moved to the pen, and Saenz will take their place until Capuano is eligible to return from the DL.

WOW! WOW! WOW! Saenz was amazing!!!

Yes, Saenz pitched wonderfully today, but it was only one start, Kinney pitched like this early last season(he pitched this way for about a full month), so don't get too excited. I say if he makes a few more starts (not likely more than one more) then judge, till then, just wait.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived