Brewer Fanatic

04/24/2004 - St Louis (Williams) @ Milwaukee (Saenz)

squarepusher

As a special treat for Fanfest, we get to watch rookie Chris Saenz make his major league debut in a starting role, as the Brewers try to add on to yesterday's win.

Brewerfan.net / Statfox matchup info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

MLB.com game preview:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mil/news/mil_news.jsp?ymd=20040424&content_id=728147&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp

ESPN game preview:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=240424108

Fox Sports game preview:

www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2347394

Fox Sports gametrax:

www.foxsports.com/named/FS/MLB/gameTrax?gameId=240424108

Yahoo game preview:

sports.yahoo.com/mlb/preview?gid=240424108

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am watching the Cardinal TV feed (while listening to Ueck and Jim P. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ) via the mlb.com package, and Saenz' stuff looks filthy -- that's a good thing!

Fun so far!

I'm with Mass...please tell us what you see. It's not on MLB Extra Innings unfortunately, and with the minor leaguers we often hear varying reports as to what pitches they throw (like we heard Neugy had a slider, a curve, and a slurve from various sources). Does he show a changeup?

Lately Saernz has been pounding the strike zone, and Cardnials hitters are bailing hardcore on his breaking ball. He is also missing bats very well, hitters are swing and missing a lot. If my scoring is correct, here is Saenz line so far

4 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 6 K, 0 R, 58 pitches, 37 for strikes

Both walks were in the 1st inning, 4th innin he threw 13 pitches, 11 for strikes

Consistently at 92-94 MPH with the fastball and spotting it very well, hitting Moeller's glove in nearly every case; getting in front of batters one after the other, with several 0-2 counts. The curveball is death to RH batters, and as noted above, has them bailing out of the box -- we're talking veterans like Rolen and Renteria here. Jim Powell described it as a "2-to-8" curveball as opposed to a "12-to-6" pitch, and I agree. Most importantly, he's getting it over for strikes. Even though the home plate ump has a liberal zone today, it's my opinion it's benefited Woody Williams much more than the youngster.

22 years old, I probably have T-shirts that are older http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

It'd be interesting to see Chris face a more LH line-up, but against the Cards, this is sweet.

Looks incredibly composed, and a ball hasn't been hit hard since the first.

Don't punch that ticket back to Huntsville quite yet...

So Mass, I hate to bring this up with all of the "small sample" talk, but with the kid pitching as well as he is, and with Kinney's performance last night, what happens? I thinks that Kinney's performance last night earned him another start, even if it is just to prove that it was a fluke. But, assuming Saenz keeps this up, how can you send him back down? it isn't like he is taking as uperstars place; pretty much anyone ont he staff is replacable. Given the schedule, he can't just take Capuano's place either. Do we push back the pitchers until one of them shows they can'ty hack it (Kinney), do we put him in the bullpen, or do we send him back down?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Well, I don't think it would hurt to keep him around until Capuano is ready to go (assuming Caps isn't hurt TOO seriously)

If we needed a long term starter in Caps place, I don't think it'd be wise for Saenz to fill that role. I was thinking more SHORT TERM when I thought of keeping him on the big league club.

Calm down guys....for clancy's sake.

It's only through five innings, but this performance will hopefully rank a close second only to the Steve Woodard vs Roger Clemens debut as far as Brewer pitching debuts go.

I know what you're saying, but as a Brewer fan, you learn to enjoy the morsels as you can get them...

And Cyanogen5, who's to say Wes Obermueller shouldn't be a tad worried about his spot right now?

I think the general idea with Saenz was that he's on the 40 man, is comfortable relieving and starting, throws hard (missing lots of bats in AA), and probably would understand being called up for only a few days and not be too disappointed when sent back down. But he could really take off after returning to AA. Great to see kids seizing their opportunities, just gotta hope that Davis, Obermueller, and Kinney can build on recent solid/good outings and turn the corner too.

It's only through five innings, but this performance will hopefully rank a close second only to the Steve Woodard vs Roger Clemens debut as far as Brewer pitching debuts go.

Well, if that isn't reason enough to avoid overexcitement, I'm not sure what is. Good ole Steve Woodard...curses to Otis Nixon for preventing the no-no.

I guess all that is saying that Obermueller's position is safe is my own personal bias! I do think that Wes has pitched better than Kinney this year, barring his one relief appearance when he wasn't really ready to pitch. I would be very happy, however, to see Kinney repeat his performance of last night, and boot Wes to the bullpen http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Nice play Bill Hall...double play to end the 7th, and prevent any runs from scoring. Shutout intact through 6 1/2, Saenz final line:

6+ IP, 2 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 7 K, 1 HB

Both hits were singles, 2 hard hit balls to the wall, but each came up a bit short.

People should be careful, you essentially have a pitcher who is unscouted by the big league teams, and hasn't been seen yet by these hitters. A darn good outing today, no doubt about it, but I think his anonymity was working for him as well. I think he earned himself a second look, but I look at this as a promising sign of his future performance. 93 pitches, 58 for strikes, very good, but that's not going to get you 0 runs every day.

Did anyone really trust him?

Way to blow a fantastic major league debut, Luis. @ singles, 2 BB, a WP to let a run score...Kolb better bail you out on this one.

MJC

Edit: Scratch Kolb. Yost goes to BUrba with pitcher's spot due up next inning.

Edit: Burba pitches out of it! Vizcaino saved again!

Archived