Brewer Fanatic

04/25/2004 - St Louis (Suppan) at Milwaukee (Sheets)

batman

I don't have sticky-ing ability, so if one of the moderators could pin this to the top that would be great.

Sheets looks for win number four in the month of April today against the scuffling Redbirds. Chris Bosio was the last Brewer to win four April contests, and that was back in 1989; the other two pitchers to do so were Teddy Higuera (1987) and Mike Caldwell (1979, 1984). Sheets is 3-5 with a 4.92 ERA in 11 career games versus the Cardinals.

The last time the Brewers were over .500 this late in the season was June 29, 2001 when they were 39-38.

Lots of BrewerFan faithful will be enjoying the action in Beloit, but for those who (like me) were unable to make it, let's hope for an exciting sweep!

Here are today's lineups:

ST LOUIS MILWAUKEE AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Marlon Anderson 2B .317 4 8 Scott Podsednik CF .309 3 8 Ray Lankford LF .333 3 3 Craig Counsell SS .232 1 5 Albert Pujols 1B .288 6 15 Junior Spivey 2B .290 2 14 Jim Edmonds CF .254 3 13 Geoff Jenkins LF .254 3 12 Scott Rolen 3B .342 8 24 Lyle Overbay 1B .288 2 14 Edgar Renteria SS .306 1 5 Wes Helms 3B .226 1 5 Reggie Sanders RF .308 6 17 Brady Clark RF .258 3 7 Cody Mckay C .071 0 0 Chad Moeller C .211 1 5 Jeff Suppan RHP .000 0 0 Ben Sheets RHP .000 0 0 (1-2, 4.76) (3-0, 3.10) 

Everything as per usual except for Brady Clark, who gets the start in right instead of Ben Grieve. Marlon Anderson will start at second for the Redbirds in place of the injured Tony Womack, and Mike Matheny gets the day off in favor of knuckeballer (and apparently catcher) Cody McKay. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

~Bill

Why was Ben Sheets even allowed to swing away with the bases loaded and Podsednik on deck? That double play killed the inning. Take your three strikes and sit down.

Ned should have given him the take sign, especially knowing that Sheets is a terrible hitter.

Bad baseball there.

So 89 pitches through 6 for Ben, but I believe he threw 29 in the first. 60 pitches in the last 4 innings is amazing, and it's the second straight outing he's done that.

Also, Ben's showing something rare today. It's something that Ueck and Powell touched on yesterday when they said few pitchers these days get stronger as the game goes on. I think today Ben has been much stronger....locating better, mixing pitches better, and throwing harder. I think it almost appears he's mixing the 2 seamer back in, because I've seen 3 distinct different speeds today....83 mph (curve and change...would be nice if they were a bit different), 91-93, and 96-97. Pretty good for someone who typically goes 4 seamer or 2 seamer, but not both. I like what I see

I finally get to see the Brewers playhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif First time this year thanks to the local station in Kentucky. Why is Sheets swinging with bases loaded and 1 out. Ned, you can't do that!

An absolutely pathetic game so far for the Brewers. Ben Sheets pitching a solid game (especially after the first), and the Crew can only scrape out 2 hits vs. Suppan.

The offense has looked horrid throughout this entire series, and against a mediocre Cardinals pitching staff.

What was that Wynegar said about 800 runs? Looking more like 2002 to me.

MJC

I think I would have had Ben bunt. We had some trucks on 2nd and 3rd, so the run probably wouldn't have scored, but with the bunt it would have been nearly impossible to get the DP.

Still, Sheets looks far more comfortable at the plate than he has in past years. Some day he might actually develop into a .200 hitter.

What does Ginter have to do to start? Geez. Nice knock, Keith.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

It sure is frustrating the way Edmonds goes after balls. Here I think Clark tags one (and Jenkins earlier), then we see the ball flying out towards the fence, but it's kind of frustrating to see Edmonds trotting after it. Almost demoralizing, because the excitement instantly goes away.

Good to see Ginter hitting another HR...should get him about 2 more weeks on the bench.

We can't afford to start our best pinch hitter.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived