Brewer Fanatic

04/28/2004 - Cincinnati (Wilson) at Milwaukee (Kinney)

squarepusher

2 incredible games in a row!! Fun to be out there. The small crowd was in to thegame, enthusiastic and had a great time.

A lot of posters on here all winter have been demeaning the "battler", "gritty" mentality that Yost, Melvin seek but here it's paying off. This team has HEART, a non-measurable attribute that has helped them to stay in and pull out these games. There is NO WAY Sanchez, Hernandez, et al could ever pull this stuff off b/c they had no heart . .talent or not, those guys quit!

This is not a miracle team going to the WS. The pitching is far too shaky. But I think what is happening now is important, especially to the young players.

Hopefully more people get out there.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers even managed to slip into the first half hour of Sportscenter, as opposed to getting 12 seconds in the final minute of the show. I know this means nothing, but it means somethin'.

It'll be interesting to see how Yost handles the budding Counsell/Hall situation. You can't sit Hall after two game-winning RBIs in a row, but you also can't make it look like Counsell is out of a regular job after a few good performances by an understudy.

Something has to be done about the pitching. This rotation may well be worse than last year's, and although Burba Time and Bennett have been nice surprises, the bullpen needs some work. Hernandez and Ford aren't getting it done, so why not try some different AAA relievers? Matt Wise and Chris Michalek would work.

I was there and my heart is still pounding.... GOD...what a game....

I know the feeling. I was there two days ago when Hall hit the walkoff game winner. I screamed so much that I lost my voice. I was also hyperventilating and I don't even remember the drive home.

Of course, I couldn't sleep at night either. I was too wired.

the bullpen needs some work. Hernandez and Ford aren't getting it done, so why not try some different AAA relievers? Matt Wise and Chris Michalek would work.

I also would add the Childers' boys and Adams to the list. I know Jason hasn't gotten much--if any hype--but I'm pretty sure Doug Jones didn't either. I would assume that the soft-tosser succeeds on pounding the zone and making hitters put HIS pitches into play. I believe Adams is on the 40-man roster, so I'd probably try him and Michalek, with Adrian Hernandez and Ford being optioned (if they have any left). The real problem is Kinney. I guess we need to get Capuano out there ASAP. Then we can demote Kinney to the pen (with Kinney, Kieschnick, or Burba getting the 5th starter duties when needed). If nothing is working, then by late May/early June we can call up Ben Hendrickson and his sub-1.00 WHIP where he probably will instantly be our number 3 starter, possibly #2. The real problem would be if Davis and Obermueller also continue struggling.

Hey Harold:

Let's see...

The Brewers record just improved in a game when Kinney started!

Man, he's great! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

After this latest outing by our leading candidate for Designated Rotation Stooge, I wonder how that voting would go if we re-polled today?

What was it? Kinney over Franklin: 60-2?

Oh...and for the record, here are their numbers so far this year:

Kinney: 0-2, 8.61 ERA, 2.00 WHIP

Franklin: 0-0, 0.90 ERA, 1.40 WHIP

OK, samplesize me all you like, but given their past performances, there's no way Kinney should have been preferred by such a wide margin over Franklin...

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

The real problem is Kinney.

I think the whole real problem are starters #2-5 http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Davis is slipping back towards being what he is, Oby is doing more or less what everyone expected, Capuano may or may not be anything, and Kinney, well, Kinney... While the bullpen is fixable, the rotation might be a losing battle. With the only help at this moment in AAA for the rotation in the form of Ben Hendrickson, the Brewers may have to just grin and bear it because Hendrickson shouldn't be called up until he has at least 10 AAA starts, IMO. De la Rosa needs another 10 starts just to get back on track.

I suggested calling up Wise over Adams because Wise might be a person the Brewers could look at as a starter if he experiences success in the bigs. I think Ford still has an option left, so he could go down without a problem.

but you also can't make it look like Counsell is out of a regular job after a few good performances by an understudy.

Sure you can if the understudy is going to be Brewers property for more than 5 months, is younger, has a hell of a lot more upside, and has outhit the gritty vet.

Awesome Game!

Watched it with a Reds fan who talked *%^$ the first half of the game.

They need to win all of the close ones until we can call Ben and Jorge up in the 2nd half. Great April, I thought that we could be burried already with our tough schedule.

Now lets take care of our peers and open a up a buffer on .500

Archived