Brewer Fanatic

04/28/2004 - Cincinnati (Wilson) at Milwaukee (Kinney)

squarepusher

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is absolutely ridiculous that Kinney is still on our major league roster. He is Glendon Rusch all over again. A guy like Saenz comes up and pitches his rear off and gets sent down instead of releasing a chump like this?!?! Unbelievable.

We need to get Burba out there before Kinney hands them any more runs. Give the offense a chance to play catch-up.

Kinney reminds me of Jamey Wright all the time. Teases you with an excellent start and then sucks for extended periods of time.

MILWAUKEE, WI (BF) -- Following a ruling by the 2nd base umpire, players are no longer required to catch to ball in order to make a force out.

In other news, batters are no longer required to stand in the batter's box either.

You know, it pisses me off to no end that once this team does something good that'll bring fans to the ballpark, they go and screw it up and get their butts kicked the next day. Kinney needs to go... Hernandez needs to go... spend some money Doug. We have to if this is a "rising" organization.

To be brutally honest, Matt Kinney didn't pitch that much more poorly tonight than Doug Davis did last night. Likewise, the Brewers have hit more than a few balls quite hard this evening off Wilson, but yet have nothing to show for it. It shows the fine line between a successful start and a complete disaster.

Getting rid of Matt Kinney now does no good. The reason? We're gonna see this kind of inconsistent pitching all season, because the entire Brewers starting staff, with the exception of Sheets, are all fifth-starter types. The same could be said for anyone we would call up from the minors. An example: for as much props as Chris Saenz deserves for his good outing the other night, he was 10 more feet farther on a fly ball from being down 4-0 in the first inning.

To me, there looks to be an overall "confidence" problem with the staff. As far as Im concerned, that goes right up to the coaching staff, and more specifically, Mike Maddux. We hear all the time that these coaches preach getting ahead in the count and throwing strikes, but yet just about all our pitchers, with the exception of Sheets, throw first-pitch breaking stuff all the time. No confidence at all in the fastball. Matt Kinney's fastball tonight was consistently in the low 90's, and most of the fastballs he threw were strikes. What's wrong with that?

Half the battle on the mound is being mentally strong. If you go to the mound with a "defeatist" attitude and have no confidence in your fastball, you are gonna get rocked every time.

I kept track of Adrian Hernandez when he first came into the game, and the first pitch to the first three batters he faced, one of which was P Paul Wilson, were sliders. It makes no sense.

Brewers pitchers just aren't good enough to nibble around the corners all the time, and they certainly aren't good enough to fall behind 2-0, 2-1, and 3-1 each and every time. If the opponent wants to swing at all the first pitches in every AB, more power to them. I would rather the opponent do that than throw two breaking balls to start the AB.

While watching the late innings, I am once again reminded of a thought I've had before...why not let Kieschnick have a few starts to try to be a 5 inning starter. He has the kind of movement where he might get more sink as the game goes on and his velocity dips a bit. It would also be nice to see him get 2-3 at bats in some games. I don't know how good he'd be, but I'm getting sick of seeing Kinney's starts wear down our bullpen (also, Davis' haven't been that good, too). Thank goodness for the days off. I just hope Ben Hendrickson is at 100%, because he'll probably be needed by mid-May rather than the allstar break like I'd thought all along.

To me, there looks to be an overall "confidence" problem with the staff

I'd call it a talent problem,Kinney is a scrub,he just pulls a J.Wright/Quevedo once i awhile with a nice start to make people think the "talent" is there to be some sort of success.

Yea maybe it's true these guys like Kinney/Hernandez nibble to much,but it's because they don't trust their stuff,it's not hard to see how hittable all these fringe pitchers are.

Kinney to me is a Jimmy Haynes clone,both throw in the 90-92 range and it's straight as an arrow.Since both lack command,they either get behind in the count to much or throw it right down the middle.Both only have/had jobs because we have 30 teams and have to fill out those rosters.They are pretty much garbage,but as long as there are broke teams that are short on young pitchers,fans of those teams will have to suffer through watching them stink up the joint.

Archived