Brewer Fanatic

04/30/2004 - Pittsburgh (Benson) at Milwaukee (Sheets)

squarepusher
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Al, years ago, bemoaned the fact that Sheets was brought up a couple of months early his first year. I can only hope that those extra couple of months helped make him what we see today. Because it did cost us owning Ben in 2007.

But as it stands we have been for 2004, 5, 6. And it is ok to just pay the guy in aribirtration. The plan should be to make being in Milwaukee so much fun by 2006, that Ben will want to reup. Currently, the only deal I would consider would be extending Ben into 2006 or 7.

I am just so happy that it seems we have found the rarest commodity in baseball - a real number one starter.

I would be more concerned with fixing our current holes. Krynzel's D is not great in center, if I believe you guys. So it is sad that Krynzel has broke his foot.

And we should worry about finding a number 2 and 3 starter.

And we need to find another big booper to join up with Jenks. The Sexson trade was great, but he loss with make Jenks struggle.

By the way, isnt Sheets pitching a nice game! Oh no, as I type Sheets has hung his first curve ball of the day. But let's forgive him.

And again the lowly Pittsburgh Pirates take us down.

Ned said after the game that both Keith Ginter and Bill hall were unavailable today because if they were to get more Plate Appearences there might be more pressure to start them.

To be honest, Ben Sheets's back problems scare me quite a bit. They've never grounded him for a serious length of time, but it just seems like the chronic kind of problem that would make a pricy 5 year deal sounds like a bad idea.

I like Sheets a lot, but unless he can continue on the pace he's started at this year, it may be time to think about trading him, depending on how the arms in the minors shake out.

Well, I don't think the arms in the minors are enough to fill out a 5 man rotation. Back problems aside, Sheets has been a workhorse. While I agree a 5 year deal for any pitcher is taking a risk, if it was for a reasonable amount a year (5 mil) part of that risk is negated.

On a side not, Say sheets goes 17-10 with a 3.5 ERA this year. What will he get in arby?

$25 million over 5 years? In a second. $5 million per is a little more than what you would expect to pay for a veteran #3 which is the floor for Sheets. Yes injuries are a concern, but Sheets is close to being a top pitcher, not necesarily of the HOF Prior variety, but instead at the Colon level. Take into account that unless the Brewers are bought buy a baseball loving George Soros type they are never goingto spend 8 figures on any player. So aquiring a true #1 can only happen internally. And to keep one the Brewers are going to have to take on some type of risk.

Yes there is an injury risk, but all pitchers are injury risks. The problem with a pitcher getting injured is hardly ever the money, its the fact that there aren't enough really good pitchers around. No matter the team, if a top pitcehr misses a season they are going to have serious problems. So with Ben, you insure the last three years since you the Brewers can pay an injured sheets earlier when the payroll wouldn't be needed for a push like it maybe latter. (Of course, the current leadership group would insure the first three years thinking that the last two will be someone else's problem.)

Taking this thread in another direction - do the pirates scare any of you guys?

'Cause they sure as heck-fire scare me. This is just about the time when we play a team like Pittsbugh and fall apart, get swept and the season falls apart. We survived the first 22 games vs. very good opponents, now it is time to make our hay against the like of the Pirates, Mets and Expos.

The Pirates have had our number since we arrived in the NL, and Jack Wilson usually hits like Barry Bonds against us, if and Matheny ever are on the same team we are dead.

I think we are much more talented than the Pirates, but we have to go out there and play like it. Remember when we were 38-34 in June of '01 after sweeping the Cubbies? We went into Pitt and they handed our asses to us.

No Let Down!! Go out there are take these guys apart!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
RyDogg, I too worry about a letdown in a series like this. The other problem is all of a sudden based on 2 giveaway wins, everyone seems to think the Brewers are quite a bit more talented than the Pirates, Mets, Expos, and Reds. That's just not the case, and games against these teams should NOT be viewed as "automatic" wins by ANY stretch. Our starting pitching is still terrible, our bullpen has about 3.5 guys who are even close to reliable, and well, there you have it. The offense is scoring more than any would have expected, but this team is not THAT talented that we should look at ANY team and say, "well, we're way better than them, so we should sweep this series" (Except maybe the Expos, they're pretty bad!)

This is when a good manager earns his money. IMHO, one of the most important attributes of a good manager is the ability to motivate his team to play games against lesser opponents, and in situations when the players might not be as jacked up as usual.

I think Ned has this capability, I sure hope he puts it to good use. There's no reason they can't win each of these series'.

Side note, but my problem with Mike Sherman is that he rarely shows any interest in providing this type of motivation. More often than not, his players come out of the tunnel dragging their arses.

I am starting to wonder about Yost. The brewers have a chance for 3 wins in a row but somehow the team HR leader and the hottest hitter in the lineup both dont see any action. Very smooth. This obsession with Helms is really getting ugly. Really ugly. I cant stand watching him any more. This has gone way beyond any sense of reason. Helms flat out sucks. Ginter rakes. Ned, this is about winning games. Helms is killing rallies left and right. I am totally frustrated with this whole damn thing.

I like Ned but he is dead wrong about Helms.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This series worries me because I remember all the times the Brewers would get hot in front of less than stellar crowds, then blow it when 30K showed up. Now that the Bucks are done, Packer mini camp is over, and tickets are half price, I think we're gonna have some decent crowds this weekend.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Carig Wilson and Jack Wilson...

"the Dynamic Duo"

"Mullet Man and Robin"

Whatever...if Craig Wilson gets us, I can understand that, that guy can swing it...it just always drives me crazy when we are protecting a late lead and jack Wilson hits one his is 3 yearly HRs off of us.

I also agree that this could be a letdown series but one thing I like about Ned Yost is that he can get these guys up, and keep them up, I hope. Unlike Lopes.

Also, I think the key to the season is starting pitching. If Hendrickson can come up and have his AAA success translate into effective ML success, He, Sheets and Capuano hopefully could give our bullpens some rest. For tonights game, we need 7 from Ben again, if he can go out and go 7 giving up 2 runs each start, I really like our chances. that way the bullpen is limited to Burba, Vizcaino and Kolb, the three I have come to trust.

I'd like to see Ford and Hernandez given one more chance each, and if they tank....off with their heads..or at least down to AAA to work things out...trade them for Wise and Michalak.

Is Kinney done for if he stinks up the joint in Cincy next week? I hope he pitches well...(I hope every Brewer pitches well) but if we doesn't...he's gotta go.

I don't think any team with an average offense and a team ERA over 5 should be calling any teams "lesser opponents"

One day at a time, boys. Hopefully Sheets wins tonight and we can split the other two.

Quote:
This whole discussion is based on the fact that Sheets would WANT to sign for 5 years for 5 mil per.

Good point. It would be the same reason and athlete signs long term- injury risk. He could go 17-10, but then agian he could also through out his back or shoulder. A check in hand is worth it to sme guys, others take their chances. But 5 yr/$25MM from the Brewers ppoint of view is a no-brainer. A $5MM a year player is pretty run of the mill. And he's what....25? 5 years isn't too long.

This franchise has been burned by too many past players...alas, we can never sign another player to another long term contract. Woe is we.

look at it this way, we can always get Reggie Sanders to play RF next year!

What would it cost to take out an insurance policy on a contract like that? I would imagine it's pretty expensive (as in, too expensive for the Brewers), but I'm sure the Orioles are happy they did that with Albert Belle.

Archived