Brewer Fanatic

04/30/2004 - Pittsburgh (Benson) at Milwaukee (Sheets)

squarepusher

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the trade rumors people are right, and Benson and Sheets are both hot properties, it's likely that scouts from contending teams will outnumber actual fans.

Note to anyone who can't tell....this is not an actual prediction, but a smart-aleck remark. It might even be hyperbole.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think they should have a decent turnout this weekend. Every ticket under $20 is half price and hot dogs are a buck. Combine that with the exciting Reds series and we should have some decent numbers.

EDIT: Corrected ticket info.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Looking over this Reds series, I think something's happened.

I think that the corner's been turned in a sense. This club got a confidence boost.

Furthermore, I think that Doug Melvin should tell Cashman to "forget it" if the Yankees inquire about Sheets. In fact, if Sheets is truly a #1 starter, sign him to a multi-year deal. A long one.

Five years, minimum.

I agree, if Sheets is our #1, and continues to grow like he's shown the last 4 starts and continues it for 8 of the next 10, we need to sign him up and has proven a buttload of us wrong saying he's not a #1. Lately he's been making people look silly and the fastball has more movement and better placement than I can remember.

On a similar note, does anybody think Sheet's performance has been at least partly due to Moeller. It seems that he can call good games, but the lack of talent in SP's have caused a bit of underrecognition? Guys like Kinney, Franklin, Ford, Hernandez, ect just don't hit the spots where Chad sets up and hitters don't miss meatballs. On the other hand Sheets has hit those spots and not shaken off the call too many times.

HELL NO! I'm 18, and Sheets is one of the reasons i fell in love with the Brewers. I mean, he's a bulldog, a fast worker, and an olympic gold winner. Now that doesn't mean jack crap in the majors, but look at how he's started the year: 3-1, with great numbers, and finally the offense putting some runs up to support him. Sheets should get a multi year contract extension.

and i agree, kinney should be hidtory. No doubt, I'm gonna miss the guy, 'cause he performed well last year and in the one start this year when the pressure was really on. But, I mean, if they didn't tolerate crap from Wayne Franklin, why should they take it ffrom Kinney? Call up a AAA guy, or maybe even Cris Saenz (ok, so maybe not him, but you get the idea).

If Sheets delivers for us we will have our 1st 3-game uptick of the year.

Middle game of the series scares me with Obie against O. Perez (1.74 ERA). Hope Wes can get us thru 5-6 innings and Yost knows the proper time to make the switch...

I think the Brewers could undo alot of their mistakes by signing a long term deal with Sheets. He seems to be a VERY popular guy and because of his olympic medal, everyone knows who he is. The guy just doesn't get hurt, so a long term deal isn't as much of a risk.

Is he worth a 5 year 25 million deal?

Is he worth a 5 year 25 million deal?

Yes, but why would he take that unless there's tons of incentives? Gotta figure with Ben's stuff, workhorse history, and age, he'll be worth around $6-8 million a year. I'd love a 5 year deal w/incentives though, much like Jenkins'

We could just option the fourth and fifth years, club for fourth and maybe just give him a break and give him the option for the fifth. If he gives us four years of great, quality starts, I believe in giving the guy his due. I don't think 4 years with our hopefuls is asking too much for a possible bad year from him.

Then again, the 4th year would be bad, and the 5th would be the contract year?

Quote:
Remember when we were 38-34 in June of '01 after sweeping the Cubbies?
- Who could forget the classic "sweep suits" article in the MJS - www.jsonline.com/sports/b...w62401.asp

"Jamey Wright was wearing a bright red, pin-stripe suit, black shirt and rose-colored glasses. David Weathers sported a shiny silver zoot suit right out of the Roaring '20s. Chad Fox stepped out wearing a colorful plaid outfit that could have been made from the curtains of a seedy motel.

Allen Levrault wore an electric aqua-color outfit that came without batteries included. Curtis Leskanic opted for a canary yellow suit with matching shirt. And, last but not least, Jeromy Burnitz donned a leopard-print model that would have stood out even in the San Diego Zoo."

I thought I read that insurance companies are requiring too expensive a premium for pitchers, especially contracts over 3 years. Hence why supposedly there are fewer free agents getting contracts that long (although I think it's more talent based)

PITTSBURGH MILWAUKEE AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Tike Redman CF .225 0 6 Scott Podsednik CF .309 3 8 Jack Wilson SS .375 2 8 Craig Counsell SS .203 1 5 Jason Kendall C .328 0 11 Junior Spivey 2B .295 3 15 Raul Mondesi RF .316 2 13 Geoff Jenkins LF .277 3 14 Rob Mackowiak 3B .245 3 6 Lyle Overbay 1B .294 2 18 Craig Wilson LF .365 5 11 Wes Helms 3B .227 1 5 Abraham Nunez 2B .273 0 2 Ben Grieve RF .227 2 5 Carlos Rivera 1B .000 0 0 Chad Moeller C .267 2 9 Kris Benson RHP .667 0 1 Ben Sheets RHP .000 0 0 (2-1, 3.91) (3-1, 3.21)

Mondesi was safe by a mile... Helms was slow to the ball and took his time with the release, and Moeller's tag was up near Mondesi's chest. It wasn't close at all - he was safe by more than the width of the plate.

~Bill

Archived