Brewer Fanatic

05/02/2004 - Pittsburgh (Vogelsong) at Milwaukee (Davis)

batman
 PITTSBURGH MILWAUKEE AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Tike Redman CF .216 0 6 Scott Podsednik CF .304 3 8 Jack Wilson SS .371 2 10 Craig Counsell SS .206 1 5 Jason Kendall C .314 0 12 Junior Spivey 2B .276 3 16 Raul Mondesi RF .321 2 14 Geoff Jenkins LF .283 3 16 Craig Wilson 1B .358 5 15 Lyle Overbay 1B .311 2 19 J.J. Davis LF .071 0 2 Keith Ginter 3B .279 4 9 Chris Stynes 3B .185 0 4 Ben Grieve RF .255 2 6 Jose Castillo 2B .277 2 6 Chad Moeller C .240 2 9 Ryan Vogelsong RHP .250 0 0 Doug Davis LHP .000 0 0 (1-3, 9.00) (1-2, 5.46)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The game is on Telemundo, but it's not sychronized with the radio. The video feed is about 2 seconds behind. Annoying, but at least we get to see the pictures.

~Bill

Anybody watching on Telmundo... or listening on the radio

It looks like they are hitting Davis pretty well (9 hits and 1 BB in 4 innings) how is he getting out of all the jams? good d or pitching his way out? are his pitches just getting too much of the plate or what?

I don't have access to either. If anybody can update us on major developments that would be awesome!

Davis seems to be a high WHIP pitcher that still manages mediocre outings, which of course is excellent for a brewers pitcher.

They are loading the bases with zero outs to face Overbay, our hottest hitter. Risky maneuver.

Bases loaded, zero outs and we only get one run. Disappointing.

Verified Member

This team is beginning to remind me of talented, but no heart racehorse.

If we play a really, really good team, we turn it up a notch and make the game close. If we play a not so good team, we really turn it down. That way the game will be close and exciting. And, really, it does not matter if we win or lose.

And the few times we jump to a big lead we simply go completely quiet at the plate.

Today's bases loaded debacle 'we refuse to take the lead' and yesterdays late innings 'we refuse to win' efforts will drive fans away.

Wow, Moeller sure is slow!

Edit: Also, how is this possible. I see Davis threw 109 pitches, 71 for strikes. Yet it seemed he fell behind every batter, walked one, and went to a lot of two ball counts. Yet somehow he only threw 38 balls?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Craig Wilson does it to us again.

I guess there IS going to be a sweep in this series after all.

Are we playing down to the Pirates level?

Or are we just not that good a team that we should look at a team like the Pirates and off-handedly say "oh, we should sweep those guys"?

Y'know, at the start of the season I think the reasonable bet would have been that we're about as good/bad as the Pirates. So over a three game span, they just outscored us by four runs. That means three losses as a bottom line, but as predictive or evaluative information it's about as useless as information can be. The claims that the Brewers "lacked heart" because they "failed to perform in the clutch" frustrate me, because -- well, what about all the other times they don't perform, or do perform? Are they supposed to grow extra talent when the game is on the line? They have plenty of heart. They just don't have a whole lot of talent.

Greg.

Too bad we have to play the games! Coming into this series so many here thought the Brewers were much better than the Pirates, Reds, Astros, Cardinals, and Cubs. If we didn't have to play the games that would be true.

0-3 for the weekend sucks, but they were in each game to the end, battled like a Yost-bot will battle and were at least entertaining. Unfortunately the luck we had earlier in the season seems to be evening out and we're gonna have to rely on talent for the rest of the year. Still, it's been a long time since I didn't know the outcome when the Brewers went down by 3 and with this team you never know if they'll come back. The results aren't always the best, but at least they're exciting.

they lost the series do to lack of quality Pitching and also

making bad pitches to the the Pirates hot Hitters.

also the hitters who came back all series could not come up with Clutch Hits late in the Games ( Grieve And Moller and helms today

Verified Member

I just got home from the game today. I was there yesterday too. Both games were very similar. Falling behind early, catching up, failing to grab a lead despite so many chances, and then having Craig Wilson beat us in extra innings. It reminded me of that movie Groundhog Day.

Three losses by a total of four runs is really a shame. No offense to Pittsburgh, but it is a huge letdown getting swept at home to a mediocre team after all that excitement of the Reds series. I suppose in a long season, stuff like this happens to everyone.

Anyway, Pittsburgh seems to also be a "gritty battling" type of team this year. It's funny how both teams seem to benefit from cutting pork and having guys who put together quality at-bats.

So is Craig Wilson officially inducted into the "Brewers killer" club after that series?

The Brewers were a bit unlucky in the Pirates series. That sort of offsets the Reds series where they were very lucky to win both those games while allowing 17 runs in the process.

There's no series that will be easy for the Brewers, considering the pitching staff. This series was a good reminder of that. The good thing about this year is that there are few truly outstanding teams in the NL and a lot of parity. The Cubs, Astros, Marlins, Dodgers and Padres are the only teams that are really ahead of the pack, so far.

Robert

Archived