Brewer Fanatic

05/04/2004 - Milwaukee (Santos) at Cincinnati (Haynes)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't wait for the posts that have Santos listed as out #4 starter for the next 3-4 years. You know what I am talking about...the one that says the rotation should be....

Sheets

Capuano

Saenz

Santos

Hendrickson

for the rest of the year. If we could hold off on those, I'd be thrilled.

If anybody wants to have a few minutes of fun, browse on over to RedsZone.com, a Reds' fan site. The quality of discourse there is, shall we say, not quite as dignified as it is here on BrewerFan. Reading some of their diatribes is good fun... highly recommended!

~Bill

PS: Before somebody from RedsZone flames me, there are certainly some good contributors there. They've got a larger fan base, it appears, and so it's only natural that the quality of their forums would degrade a bit. So chill! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It was only one outing people. Alot of people have a good outing or Two. Lets have him get some quality starts under his belt. Then we can go Hog Wild. And talk about where he should be in our rotation. But if he keeps it up then we can have himas our #2.

192 posts for their game thread. We got some work to do, boys!

So, when was the last time Helms has gotton an extra base hit?

Overbay is the real deal. SO much fun to watch. Maybe HE can play 3B..... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't think anyone thinks Santos should be the number two starter, but what is wrong with getting excited with a great start by the guy. I'm not saying the guy is going to be good or even average, but I'm saying he pitched well enough tonight to deserve another start, just like Saenz did a few weeks ago.

Sheesh, I swear any time anything good happens to this team there are a bunch of posts like "even though we hit four home runs, came back from a ten run deficit, and pitched a no hitter, I don't want to see anyone optimistic posts around here because we still suck." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

I think some of us just get a little warn out by crazy, illogical optimism.

Santos pitched very well and CERTAINLY deserves anotehr start. That said, almost never goes a good player come from nowhere (diverts eyes from Pods). It's just important to temper your enthusiasm so you don't inevitably get disappointed.

The way I see it...

Stick Santos in the rotation as the 5 starter and call up Saenz. Skip Santos as often as possible, and hope Capuano can get back soon.

That should be a good enough band-aid for the year. Next year, Hendrickson can take over.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I knew it wouldn't take long, and I was right.

As far as enthusiasm goes, heck yeah I'm stoked by Santos' fine outing! Great! And I agree, let him start again.

And I wasn't trying to be a downer, the whole point is there seems to be a VERY bad case of "small sample-itis" going on around here this spring, and everytime one of our players has a good game, people are extrapolating it out for the entire season, as if that should be expected every time out (see: Saenz, Chris). People thinks a few magical tweaks to our rotation with guys like Santos and Saenz are the cure-all, and that's just not the case. I'd say the same for Capuano. Yes, his ERA in a small sample is below 3.5, but he's given up 5 homers in 13 innings and has a WHIP of 1.5. Those are pretty rotten peripherals, and if those ratios hold up at all, his ERA will skyrocket pretty fast.

For every "downer" around here like me, there's another guy who looks at everything with rose colored glasses, and refuses to see reality.

Overbay is the real deal. SO much fun to watch. Maybe HE can play 3B..... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .......

You actually made me check his throwing hand, too bad it's an L.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

However, doesn't he have to at least try out an outfielder's glove for a few September games this year, just in case Prince is the real deal.

Am I the only one who sees the irony in how a reliever is said to ALWAYS be overworked or underworked? Great example was after the extra inning game vs. Diamond Backs. Just silly.

I don't know about you guys, but I've really enjoyed this year so far http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif erhaps I have the bar set low, but being average with a bunch of young guys making 27 mil is a HELL of alot better than being average with a 50 million dollar payroll filled with aging vets.

I don't know about you guys, but I've really enjoyed this year so far erhaps I have the bar set low, but being average with a bunch of young guys making 27 mil is a HELL of alot better than being average with a 50 million dollar payroll filled with aging vets.

Statement of the week. It has been fun all season long... lots of nice surprises, a couple of good stories, more hope on the near horizon. I don't expect it to last much longer, but damn! It sure is kind of fun to watch decent ball for the first time in a long time.

Statement of the week. It has been fun all season long... lots of nice surprises, a couple of good stories, more hope on the near horizon. I don't expect it to last much longer, but damn! It sure is kind of fun to watch decent ball for the first time in a long time.

What I love is that each time we fall below .500, we rebound and jump a few games above. It's like golf...it's sure a lot easier to golf while below par, because you know you can afford to screw up.

Archived