Brewer Fanatic

05/05/2004 - Milwaukee (Sheets) at Cincinnati (Acevedo)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll eat my words on this one and Give Brooks his props.

Earlier in the year I called him out and said that if he was to stay on the team he was going to have to be as good as he was at the plate last year and better on the mound. Well, after a rough start early in April Brooks has been a stud at both the plate and the mound.

Now let's not let his effort go to waste. Get some runs fellas!!

Why does Yost hit Clark for Grieve with a RHP on the mound? Grieve has been hot lately and has a 2-3 day going/

Yost is exapserating sometimes.

Edit: I'll take it back. Good result with the single, but I still don't understand the move. Another Yost "hunch?"

MJC

you're leaving just Burba and Keish to work tomorrow? Talk about poor planning...

Its even worse planning to pin your hopes on having Ben Sheets throw a complete, or near-complete game, against a team that takes a ton of pitches and walks a lot. Its also poor planning to only have those available pitchers to go to. If you know you have to dip into the pen to put both Santos and Hernandez into the rotation for spot starts, you need to have more bullpen guys available - which falls on Doug Melvin. After all, I thought this bullpen was supposed to be full of guys who "can go more than one inning", wasn't it?

Likewise, you tell Ben Sheets not too mess around so much. There were numerous occasions that Ben put Reds hitters behind 0-2 tonight, only to end up pushing the count to 2-2 or 3-2 by fooling around and nibblling before taking care of them.

Dan Kolb, if he can't pitch, should be on the DL. They're still not sure if he is even going to be available to go this weekend. If that's the case, he should be on the DL, and a fresh arm should be up with the team. Its wasting a spot in the bullpen that is needed, especially with the changes in the rotation of late.

I hate to say "I told you so", but having a guy like Wayne Franklin in AAA wouldn't look so bad right now.

Still, he's averaged 104 pitches this year.... still wondering how many pitches you think it's appropriate for him to be averaging?

He has averaged only 98 pitches per start in his career, which is probably about where he should be. While six pitches doesn't sound like a lot, over 35 starts, that's 210 pitches, or two full games. Suddenly, its not so trivial a number.

Ben should have been out of this game after the fifth, when he was at 98 pitches I believe.

According to your view,nearly every manager in baseball abuses there pitchers.

Thanks Danzig...great informative post. Shocking to say the least. To think that guys with major arm injuries in their pasts (Schilling, Wood), youngsters (Vasquez, Miller, and Penny), and old guys (Clemens, Schilling...again) are throwing that many pitches shows that nobody has any idea what is best for pitchers. I still stand by the idea that in some games, some pitchers have more in their tanks, too. So Sheets threw a few more pitches....so what? He's got plenty of chances to go on extra rest soon. Some nights 120 is a reasonable, some nights 85 is reasonable. There is no magic number.

Community Moderator

Its even worse planning to pin your hopes on having Ben Sheets throw a complete, or near-complete game, against a team that takes a ton of pitches and walks a lot.

Who, exactly, was asking Ben to throw a CG or near CG? We're talking about 1 inning tonight, and since we might be headed for extra innings tonight, that inning could be huge for the pen.

Dan Kolb, if he can't pitch, should be on the DL.

So if he only needs to miss 6-7 days as they expect, you'd put him on the DL for an EXTRA 8-9? That's just dumb.

I hate to say "I told you so", but having a guy like Wayne Franklin in AAA wouldn't look so bad right now.

So he could start a game and put us down 6 runs by the 4th inning? Yeah, that'd be useful.

He has averaged only 98 pitches per start in his career, which is probably about where he should be. While six pitches doesn't sound like a lot, over 35 starts, that's 210 pitches, or two full games. Suddenly, its not so trivial a number.

But you said he's going to be on the DL GUARANTEED this year.... how's he going to get 35 starts?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/roll.gif

Bill Schroeder telling Jr how to bat. Schroeder says you have to hack with 2 strikes!

Let me explain something to you. Whatever philosophy you had as a batter, it was HORRIBLE!

.240 / .281 / .426

You were pathetic, shutup!

Brady clark is now 1 for 4 trying to steal.

He's a scrappy guy and really tried hard, though, so he will probably start tomorrow.

Hit-and-run or not, running in that situation with Clark being the lead run was about as foolish as you can get. You can't make the first out of the inning at second.

If a guy looks gassed, and his mechanics are going to hell at 90 pitches, you take him out because any more work while being tired and the mechanics can break down, and I think that leads to injury as much as being overworked. conversely, if you are at 110 pitches, and cruising and your motion is fluid you can probably go another 15-20 if need be. I think Ben started to show fatigue during the last batter he faced and it is my belief that if that Yost recognozed that, and if that Batter had made it on base Sheets was finished.

Would anyone here vote for a Kieschnick/Vizcaino ticket in '04? Man that was sweet. Not Viz haters in '04. Whatever ailed him in '03 it is obviously better now.

(I'm not going to say "let's get some runs" because I think it might be bad luck)

So if he only needs to miss 6-7 days as they expect, you'd put him on the DL for an EXTRA 8-9? That's just dumb.

How is that dumb? If you need to dig TWO pitchers out of your pen to make spot starts, absolutely. You are already wasting a roster spot for one week. I know I would like to have an extra arm (or two) in the bullpen, with Obermueller going tomorrow, Hernandez on Saturday and Santos and Sunday.

But you said he's going to be on the DL GUARANTEED this year.... how's he going to get 35 starts?

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Yeah! That was funny alright! Certainly shows the depth of your thoughts...

Archived