Brewer Fanatic

05/05/2004 - Milwaukee (Sheets) at Cincinnati (Acevedo)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way Ned Yost and this coaching staff abuses Ben Sheets, he will undoubtedly hit the DL before the season ends.

Count on it.

Just foolish planning and coaching, especially since the only bullpen guys to have seen action since Sunday's game are Kinney and Vizcaino.

Community Moderator

Just foolish planning and coaching, especially since the only bullpen guys to have seen action since Sunday's game are Kinney and Vizcaino.

You do realize that our bullpen consists of 4 guys right now?

Strongly disagree with you.... he has an extra day of rest to work with, so I have no problem with letting him throw the extra 15 or so pitches.

Granted the 125 pitch mark is substantial, but this has been an abberation from previous starts, if my memory serves me correctly. If Ben throws more than 110 pitches on a regular basis I'd begin to be worried, but one 125 pitch performance SHOULD be ok. (emphasis on SHOULD). Like Peavey said, with the Bullpen as bad as it is these days we need every out we can muster in a one out game.

Not condoning the 125 pitches, but not condeming either.

Community Moderator

Even after this start, he'll have about an average of a 100 pitches per start or so...

An average of just over 98, actually, with only 4 of 7 starts even going REACHING 100 pitches.

But yeah, he's being abused [/sarcasm]

You do realize that our bullpen consists of 4 guys right now?

Yes, I do realize that. Still, the only guys to have pitched since Sunday are Kinney and Vizcy. And while Hernandez is slated to start this weekend, he hasn't pitched in a week...he could go an inning, like Obermueller did last week.

Jeff Bennett hasnt pitched since Sunday, and can go an inning. Same with Ben Ford, and he could probably easily go two. Dave Burba hasn't pitched since Saturday. Brooks Kieschnick hasnt pitched since Saturday. While Vizcy pitched yesterday, he could also go an inning if he had to. Even with Kolb out until this weekend, the bullpen is hardly depleted.

Even after this start, he'll have about an average of a 100 pitches per start or so...I would hardly call that abuse.

Its the first week of May, and if you take away the start that Ben got back stiffness in, which he certainly would have gone longer, Ben has averaged 104 pitches per start -with two of those starts Ben throwing MORE than 120 pitches. Im sorry, but that's abuse.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ben Ford rules. Hall sucks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Actually its not.

Peavey, letting your 25-year old ace - who has already had back trouble this year, by the way - throw more than 120 pitches TWICE this already year is abuse.

We're in the first week of May. There is no need for it, especially with a pretty fresh bullpen.

Just put this in perspective...despite having two short starts, one from injury and one from being hit hard, Ben will likely end tonight leading the NL in total pitches thrown this season.

R.Halladay 109 ppg

Hudson 100 ppg

Clemens 104 ppg

Vazquez 102 ppg

Penny 104 ppg

Oswalt 104 ppg

Redman 100 ppg

O.Perez 102 ppg

W.Miller 103 ppg

Schilling 113 ppg

Wood 110 ppg

K.Wells 107 ppg

Ben has averaged 104 pitches per start -with two of those starts Ben throwing MORE than 120 pitches. Im sorry, but that's abuse.

According to your view,nearly every manager in baseball abuses there pitchers.

Community Moderator

We're in the first week of May. There is no need for it, especially with a pretty fresh bullpen.

Still strongly disagree.... If sheets is out in the 5th as you would have had it, Ford goes 2 innings, Bennett goes 1, and Viz goes 1.... you're leaving just Burba and Keish to work tomorrow? Talk about poor planning...

Peavey, letting your 25-year old ace - who has already had back trouble this year, by the way - throw more than 120 pitches TWICE this already year is abuse.

That's not the point that I was responding to.... my post was in response to your original post before you subsequently edited it and completely changed the point you had made.

Still, he's averaged 104 pitches this year.... still wondering how many pitches you think it's appropriate for him to be averaging?

Looks like we may need some 9th inning heroics to win this one. Another game Sheets pitched well enough to win, but won't.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Ken, there's the bench. Take a seat. Nice pitch Brooks. You too Mr. Freel. Wow.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived