Brewer Fanatic

05/06/2004 - Milwaukee (Obermueller) at Cincinnati (Harang)

batman
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

WHY?!?! WHY IS OBERMUELLER BATTING IN THE 7TH WITH THE BASES LOADED?

Jesus, I TRY to like Ned, I really do, but this baffles the hell out of me. He gave up 2 runs last inning, he's obviously running out of gas, and with a GREAT chance to add 2-3 more runs...........

Yeesh.

top of the 7th, bases loaded for the Brewers, 2 outs and the pitching spot up.

What do you do as the manager? Well, if you are Yost it's obvious, let your starting pitcher bat!!!

Yost does stupid things. When Wes coughs up the lead you will agree with me. That's Ok though, since Yost will say it was a learning experience.

Obermueller with only 86 pitches and he's a decent hitter. I guess he's done a fine job with this lineup, so Ned wants to push him a bit farther. I would have been tempted to go to Brooks for the AB and the 7th, possibly 8th

that move even stunned the reds manager. Do you think he would have made a pitching change if he thought obie was going to hit?

Whens the last time a manager switched pitchers when the pitcher was next up??

Dumb move Ned. Real Dumb.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

2 men on, no one out. I don't care if our pen is THREE guys short, sending him out for the 6th was just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Ned can motivate, but he sure doesn't know how to handle a pitching staff.

I find that ironic, considering he sat on a bench next to Bobby Cox and Leo Mazzone for what, 8 years?

****THIS JUST IN**** You will not see a DUMBER move by a manager this year than what Yost just did.

My God, everyone and their cousin knew that Obie was out of gas and with the f#$@ing bases loaded how could you not pinch hit for him?!?! I would have bet anything that Obie would not have made it through the next inning and guess what, he doesn't retire a guy.

WHAT THE HELL WAS NED THINKING?!?! THAT WAS A NO BRAINER.

If we lose this one, it's definitely on Yost.

Quote:
That was an absolute bomb, but I'm more impressed with his defense. I was one of the first to praise Hall's swing back in 2002, but the two areas of improvement that have most impressed me have been his eye at the plate (laying off of some tempting pitches lately) and his improved defense. Keep it up Billy!

You do realize that his defense has actually been worse so far this year, right?

Hall's Fielding Stats

Entering play tonight, Hall had 3 errors in just over 7 games (64.2 inn) at short. I was concerned when it looked like he'd put up an error every 5 games! For the record, Counsell has 1 error in nearly triple the time on the field (179 inn)....and he's getting to more balls (higher RF)!

Don't get me wrong, Hall's earned the increased time in the lineup, as he's swinging a hot bat right now. I just think that sometimes people tend to see what they want to see with Hall, instead of looking at the total picture.

Absolutely inexcusable to let you pitcher end an inning with the bases loaded and then pull him with no outs, leaving two runners. I was shocked when Obermueller was announced; seemed like a no-brainer.

Furthermore, Yost seems to be developing a Helms-like obsession with Jeff Bennett. What happened to Burba, Vizcaino, etc.?

MJC

soriano was never 40-40. He came close once.

Ok i should have said a 39/41 guy,big mistake by me.Or a 38/35 guy he was last year.

Hall is a poor mans Soriano whether he has DONE it or not. He IS and will be.

Just how poor of a version are we talking about??Last year Hall between AAA and in the bigs had 11 SB's and 13 CS.Will Hall EVER be remotely close to the basestealer Soriano is??Soriano had nearly back to back 40 HR seasons in a park brutal to righthanded power hitters.You think Hall could hit 30 HR's playing in Yankee stadium,much less 39/38??

The only comparisons i see between Hall/Soriano is both avoid walks like they are anthrax and both have great bat speed.I could see Hall hit 20-25 HR's with 500 AB's,damn good for a middle infielder if he does ever do it.I just think your really reaching in comparing the two since Hall isnt nearly as fast or doubtfull he'll ever have 30+ HR power.

Why Bennett and not Burba??

from the Reds' TV announcers. Kolb unavailable till the weekend, Burba (left shoulder, cortisone shot today) unavailable till the weekend, and Vizcaino only available for a short outing after last night. Kinney should also be unavailable after Tues, so that leaves Hernandez (starting Sat), Bennett (in there), Kieschnick. I think that covers everyone.

YOST IS SO FRIGGING OBSESSED WITH MAKING PLAYERS FEEL HAPPY HE CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGHT.

According to the radio broadcast, Burba isn't 100% tonight, either. Vizcy has pitched two days in a row, Kolb is unavailable, Ben Ford is probably unavailable after last night...it looks like the only available bullpen guys, except in emergency, are Kieschnick and Jeff Bennett, who just came in. Wes was only at 86 pitches before the inning, so you can't fault Yost for going back to him to start the 7th.

Great, just great. Two errors lead to a run and the bases are still loaded with no one out.

Maybe our guys are too distracted to make a play because they are still trying to figure out WHAT THE HELL YOST WAS THINKING!!!!

Archived