Brewer Fanatic

05/07/2004 - Milwaukee (Davis) at New York Mets (Glavine)

batman

OK, Overbay is doing better than anyone else could have imagined. While we all heard that he was a "doubles machine" I don't think any of us thought that meant, "he'll lead the world in doubles."

Ginter is um..... good! Man, this lineup:

Pods CF

Ginter 3B

Spivey 2B

Jenks LF

Overbay 1B

Grieve RF

Hall SS

Moeller C

would be SOOOOoooOOooo nice........ Owell, time to put Ginter back on the bench.

Helms had a bloop single AND a REAl single in ONE game! He's golden! Seriously, someone tell me the last time he had a multi-ghit game.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one thing i'll say about Davis,i never feel like the grim reaper is right around the corner when i know he's starting,i cant say that when Kinney/Obie are starting.

As for Lyle,the dude has a funky swing,but many it's productive.He pretty much is all arms and upper body with his swing.It almost looks like he's leaning backwards on one foot when he swings,i dont think i've ever seen a guy hit like that before.Oh well,it works.

Helms had a bloop single AND a REAl single in ONE game! He's golden! Seriously, someone tell me the last time he had a multi-ghit game.

May 4, 2004.

Regarding Davis, I know he's not as good as this guy at his best, but he reminds me a little of Mike Caldwell. Puts guys on , ton of ground balls, working out of trouble. He does have a cleaner hat, though. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Doug Davis' cutter is sweet... very Al Leiter-esque. I've been saying this since we acquired him, but I'll say it again: Davis is a league average pitcher. He's not flashy, and he gives up a lot of base runners, but he doesn't suck. If we had five league average pitchers, we'd have a... well... average rotation. And compared to what we have now, that would be like trading in our Tonka for a Cadillac Escalade.

And what can I say about Keith Ginter that I haven't already said? He's a very good player, and he should be playing everyday.

~Bill

"Is it time to point out that Grieve now has a higher BA, OBP, and SLG than Brady Clark?

By 100 or so points. The gap is even larger if you take out Brady's 1 huge game against St. Louis the first week of the season."

After Clark's 0-for-5, he's now down to .216, ending 3 different innings, and stranding 7 runners.

He's one of those flawed hacks our GMs seem to bring in all the time, for the league minimum, who can't handle playing too often. As part-timers, guys like Clark, Echevarria, put up occasionally decent OPS's (in limited samplings of course), and fans extrapolate those numbers onto a full season, and get excited.

But he's a 5th outfielder...TOPS.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

OK, Overbay is doing better than anyone else could have imagined. While we all heard that he was a "doubles machine" I don't think any of us thought that meant, "he'll lead the world in doubles."

If you give Overbay 500 AB's, with half of them in Miller Park, I see him hitting 40-50 doubles.---Ramblings, 11/26/03

LINK, if you care to check it out

If you give Overbay 500 AB's, with half of them in Miller Park, I see him hitting 40-50 doubles.---Ramblings, 11/26/03

maybe so, but don't I recall you liking Clark quite a bit? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

plus, 40 doesn't usually lead the league, does it?

May 4, 2004.

I said that wrong. I meant when he had a mult-base hit. Like not a single. The answer.... April 11th!

I'm more impressed by Overbay's home run power than his doubles.Prior to the year starting i expected him to hit for a fairly high average and lots of doubles,that was his MO every year in the minors.I like the fact he's hit some really nice home runs,his 4 haven't been wallscrapers that only went out with a short porch.He's never going to be a masher,but 20-25 HR's dont seem out of the question,even if 25ish might be stretching it.

I was glad he was included in the trade,i just thought he'd be this kind of hitter later in the year.I expected him to stuggle a bit more early on and then find his groove as the at bats racked up.You dont fluke your way to a .350 BA every year in the minors,even if its a hitters league.

So far the comparison to Mark Grace looks pretty fair,he just needs to walk a little more.

Davis' Last 2 starts:

5/2/4 vs PIT (L 4-3, 11innings)

7 IP, 11H, 3ER, 1BB, 2K.... all the hits were singles.

Tonight

6IP, 6H, 2ER, 1BB, 5K..... all the hits were singles.

he hasn't given up an extra base hit in at least 2 starts... and he doesn't walk guys, so you really can't complain about that.

Prior to those two starts he had walked 15 in 28 innings. I think the jury is still out on whether he has really turned a corner or has just had a couple of good starts against bad teams. Good point about the lack of extra-base hits -- I hadn't noticed that, and it is an encouraging fact. The thing I really like about his line last night is the strikeouts. Time will tell, but there's hope.

Greg.

Archived