Brewer Fanatic

5/8/2004 - Brewers (Hernandez) @ New York Mets (Yates)

cut him now... that guy BLOWS! perfect throw and our idiot catcher misses the throw... if we lose by a run its ALL BENNETT's FAULT and he should be cut....

Have you ever played or even played catch? Those in-between hops are the toughest for any fielder at any position.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was a catcher for 8 years,those are very very tough to handle.The ball really skips when it hits the dirt since its usually coming on a line from the outfield.Plus with all the equiptment on you just arent as flexible and a catchers glove isnt designed for catching quick shorthops.Last you have a runner bearing down on you that you can't really see usually,but you can just sense is getting close.Your supposed to focus on the ball and not the runner,that's easier said that done.I got bowled over so hard once when i wasn't looking at the runner while waiting for the ball,it felt like it took 5 minutes to take in my next breath.Once that happens,it's not easy to avoid peaking out of the corner of your eye to see how close the runner is.

Maybe.... but the throw was there... a difficult play yes, but GOOD CATCHERS make that play. The throw was there... A high school catcher maybe doesn't make that play, but a guy making millions of dollars better...

IMHO< Bennett is a wimp and afraid to get hit

That said, good win by the crew today. Ugly game, but we WON!

Maybe.... but the throw was there... a difficult play yes, but GOOD CATCHERS make that play. The throw was there... A high school catcher maybe doesn't make that play, but a guy making millions of dollars better...

That play is 50/50 at best. I admit, when I saw the play at live speed I thought he blew it but when I saw the replay from the CF camera I have to say that that's a though play for any catcher. That bounce in the dirt is never predictable.

but a guy making millions of dollars better...

I've seen balls like that get past guys like IRod and Johnson. I'm pretty sure if that sort of throw eats up good catchers who do make millions we can excuse Bennett.

And speaking of players getting millions, any chance that Helms will revolutionize the game? I mean, could we see players being signed to large contracts based upon their ability to hit texas-leaguers to the opposite field?

I was at the game at Shea today and had a great time! I don't know how it looked on tv, but those 4 drives to Jenkins in LF all looked like they were going out. Every one. And I couldn't stop laughing when Geoff brought 'em all down.

Bernie

It's funny how all of the Yost second-guessers will criticize nearly every move that goes wrong, but never give him credit for making a decision that doesn't backfire horribly.

He gave Adrian Hernandez every chance to get his first major league win (he was 0-3 with the Yankees, if I saw the graphic correctly), up by 4 runs, and lifted him in before he'd be on the hook for the loss. In a closer game, maybe less wiggle room would've been called for, but I believe that Yost pulled Duquecito at just the right time.

For the record, I also love hearing that Helms is a butcher in the field, yet should be replaced in the lineup with a player with as many errors in ~ 20 fewer chances.

Is it just me, or is Bill Hall starting to remind anyone else of Jose Valentin more & more? (For the record, when JosE-6 was Hall's age, he committed 20 errors in 83 games played.) Then again, at least Jose knew how to draw walks.

For the record, I also love hearing that Helms is a butcher in the field, yet should be replaced in the lineup with a player with as many errors in ~ 20 fewer chances.

are you talking about Hall or Ginter? Either way, errors don't tell the whole story. (we saw that on Wes' 2nd hit on Sat., when the 3rd baseman muffed it and they gave Wes a hit.) Wes has very little range and isn't hitting well. Hall would likely be a better hitter and would have more range, tho he may make more errors, that would be offset by the extra balls he got to, imo.

Yeah good job Yost did of trying to give Adrian the win while coming close to costing the team the game. That's smart managing!

Well to be fair, there aren't many good options in the bullpen either to bring in, in the fifth. I think Yost was fairly confident that we would put a couple more runs on the board before it was all said and done.

Jenkins with the very impressive defensive game in LF. If this guy stays healthy, he better win a Gold Glove. I truly think he is one of the top 10 defensive OF'ers in the game.

Archived