Brewer Fanatic

5/9/2004 - Brewers (Santos) @ New York Mets (Trachsel)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way our hitters are shaping up, I really think Ned needs to rethink this lineup. Pods is set at number one, sure, but assuming a healthy Junior Spivey, I would think that the best lineup might be.

Podsednik

Spivey

Overbay

Jenkins

Ginter

Grieve

Hall/Counsell

Moeller/Bennett

Otherwise, Overbay is going to get pitched around A LOT with Wes Helms hitting behind him. This also keeps the lefties broken up as best as possible. Overbay, who is such a good hitter, will get alot more to hit with Jenks and Ginter hitting behind him.

Quote:
He hit a ball that the RFer made a great sliding catch on... if that's your definition of crappy, ok.

Can we please stop defending Helm's broken bat bloopers? Helms could go 4-4 with two bloop singles and two dribblers that turned into infield singles and he still wouldn't be breaking out of his slump. The guy just doesn't hit anything hard.

Community Moderator

I wonder if Peavey had the misfortune of the State of Georgia's Educational System....

So yet again, I make valid points and end up getting personally attacked..... how dare I question people's opinions? What do I think this message board is, a place for the free exchange of ideas?

I guess I should stick to slamming Helms for striking out with runners in scoring position, even though he hasn't done it yet this series....

Helms hasnt done squat all year and there are better options than him.It seems like its been weeks since he hit a single ball hard.

Also while is Hall sitting so much.I realize Craig takes some walks,but hes hitting around .200 and my 11 year old has more power than Craig does.

Verified Member

AJAY......Yost blew it again. There is no way Councell should have had that AB with Hall on the bench. Yost is really begining to bother me.

I miss Davey Lopes right now.

Peavey

Some people while defending their opinion, feel the need to demean people with a disenting opinion. It is their problem not yours.

Ry Dogg

I agree with the line-up. A change is needed for many reasons.

Also . . . . I believe (not 100% sure) Counsell was a regular SS in the minors. While it is different, it's innings in the pro game, and it helps.

The best reason to get Hall some playing time is that he is a young player who has a chance to be useful for several years. With Counsell, what you see is what you get, and you won't have to see it after this year. That's the best reason. Then we can start talking about the fact that Hall is a better ballplayer right now. True, he's worse than Counsell at the single most important thing hitters do -- getting on base. But he's better at everything else hitters do, and he's a better (even if more erratic) shortstop. Plus, Counsell's versatility makes him a perfect utility IF, and then we could swap out the hopeless Trent Durrington for another hitter from AAA. This is one of the easiest, most obvious decisions I've seen in a while, and Yost is blowing it every day.

Helms, meanwhile, is absolutely killing the team. His play is indefensible. He has been nothing but a drag in the field, at the plate, and in his rare appearances on the basepaths. Of course he's better than this, but I think people are finally realizing that he was playing at his peak, if not over his head, last season. Yost should spot him in situations where he has a chance to work out of his slump -- favorable pitching matchups at home. But the question which two players of Ginter, Spivey, and Helms should be in the lineup once Spivey comes back is almost as easy as the question whether Hall should get most of the time at short.

Greg.

Archived