Brewer Fanatic

5/12/2004 - Brewers (Obermueller) vs. Expos (Day)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd rather use Hall instead of Durrington.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

17-16 is nice but not unexpected. The fact that these players happened to all be wearing Brewer uniforms this year led people to believe that they would suck. I dont think anyone (outside of Overbay) is playing significantly better than projected. In fact Helms and Ginter are underacheiving. Moeller is not exactly playing up to the level I thought he would. Councell isnt doing much. Grieve has been up and down.

I said since March that this is a pretty solid team who could hang around .500 and make be in the Wild Card hunt after 145 games.

I went on to say that they would be 26-24 on June 1st.

I just didnt see any gaping holes on this roster that would lead me to believe they couldnt play with the rest of the league. There arent a lot of teams who can say they have it all.

The only 'gaping' holes are in the starting pitching. That is what will keep this team from 90 wins (not that it is some small issue). At least we don't have any huge contracts with crappy pitchers (Rusch) that we are forced to tread out there every 5 days because they make $5 mill per year. Besides Overbay and Spivey, this team has largely gotten better by Addition by Subtraction.

Can someone please fill me in on what has happened to that guy who used to play in the infield for us. It's been a while so I can't recall his name but he played some shortstop in early 2004, and I remember him having a lot of success in the spring. The last thing I remember is a hot streak towards the end of April in '04 when he won a few games for us but he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth, he doesn't evem pinch hit for us. I'd remember his name if I heard it, and I checked all other 29 rosters for him but I cannot find him. Anyone?

17-16 is nice but not unexpected.

Scoop, I'm a pretty big optimist, but I figured we'd be hard pressed to be at .500 all season. With that April schedule, I figured we'd be enough under that we'd be needing a great May to get back to .500.

I dont think anyone (outside of Overbay) is playing significantly better than projected

I guess Overbay is doing a bit better than expected, but for me I was expecting .320 with 45+ doubles. For me the real pleasant surprises have been Jenkins and Pods. I know Jenks' numbers aren't great, but what has impressed me most is that he's been staying on pitches with his front shoulder and driving them the other way for singles and doubles. His strikeout rate is way down, and his walk rate is much improved. As for Pods, his success has put to rest any concerns we had.

I for one am sure excited by this team. We fall below .500 then battle back each time. I think most fans are even feeling the energy of this team, and with a win tomorrow, huge crowds should be in the near future. Also, It'll be great having Capuano back. With him and our days off (thank you schedule-makers), we will be seeing solid-to-good starts 4 of 6 games each week (that's Cappy, Sheets, and Davis). Once Hendrickson joins the team (sometime after June 1st), we'll have a very solid 1-4 in our rotation.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
Can someone please fill me in on what has happened to that guy who used to play in the infield for us. It's been a while so I can't recall his name but he played some shortstop in early 2004, and I remember him having a lot of success in the spring. The last thing I remember is a hot streak towards the end of April in '04 when he won a few games for us but he seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth, he doesn't evem pinch hit for us. I'd remember his name if I heard it, and I checked all other 29 rosters for him but I cannot find him. Anyone?

Jeez, the Crew just had their second come from behind victory in a row. Enjoy the moment!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Oh, I am enjoying the moment, believe me, I just finished finals and am going to the game tomorrow. I just was wondering why Trent Durrington gets all the PT now and Bill Hall sits on his hands in the dugout. It bothers me, but it was a great win and I hope we sweep tomorrow!

Archived