Brewer Fanatic

5/13/2004 - Brewers (Davis) vs. Expos (Kim)

MassBrew

so far had done what was necessary when a pitches Struggles.

He Moved Franklin

They demoted Kinney to the Pen

The Sent Down MR WALKS

and now fully have to expect that Ben Ford will be heading out and they will call someone up who can pitch in long like Adams who have been used as a starter lately or Reichert.

can"t wait for the transaction page tomorrow

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work by the Crew. In all 3 victories, we spotted Montreal at least 3 before making our run. I remember how dejected I'd get in the past whenever we'd get down more than a run or so. Not any more!

Anyway. I agree Ben Ford just cannot get the job done. The dude always seems to come in and walk the 1st batter he faces. That only drives your defense and especially your manager crazy. My guess is that his days or hours are numbered. I say bring up Reichert. The dude has a past as a starter so he can give us innings if need be.

Enough Ford talk, I'm going to enjoy the victory and get ready for Ramierez vs. Santos. Since Davis gave us 8 solid looks like we'll be going with a Wise-Kinney-Kiesh combo on Sat. heck if Reichert is up by then have him pitch an inning or so!

SBS

so far this season they didn"t waste time with pitchers.

They Traded Franklin

The moved kinney to the Pen

Then They Demoted Mr walks

Now they must demote Ford he has not stepped up

and now it has to be someone else chance.

Did I miss something? Isn't Kinney penciled in to start Saturday unless he's needed early in Friday's game, in which case Capuano will be activated to pitch with Crew instead of for Indy?

Either way Capuano is nearly back and a move will need to be made to clear a spot for him on the active roster. Obermueller was under the gun last night to keep from being the guy, but he responded pretty well whereas Ford did not, so it would logically be Ford going when Capuano is activated.

Kinney's been better out of the pen, so let him stay as the long guy/spot starter and go with Capuano, Santos, Obermueller as 3, 4, 5 in rotation. If one of those guys pitches his way off the team, then look to Indy for those other guys.

Well since it won't be Kinney, I'd be all for giving Saenz another shot if Capuano isn't ready. I think he earned it the last time and you can just as easily send him back down again.

Otherwise, I'd go with Wise. Burba and Kiesch have not been stretched out enough and are too valuable in late innings.

IIRC, Yost said there was "no way" Kinney would be starting in the near future. I don't think they'll rush Capuano back, so it looks like it is going to be a bullpen game, which Kinney could be involved in at some point.

And I think Reichert is the pretty clear choice over Adams. You sign guys like Reichert for these types of situations, hoping they'll pan out a little in AAA first. Reichert has done that, and Wise did, too. Adams, on the other hand, is a prospect and still needs to be handled as such, especially since they are trying him out as a starter. If they stick with him in the rotation, it won't be until July at the earliest until he's ready to be promoted.

The only other option besides Reichert is Jason Childers, who has more than proven himself in AAA over the past year and a few months. He doesn't throw real hard, but he might be decent in middle or long relief.

Given that Sunday is a Sheets start. Ben is usually, except Opening Day, good for a minimum of 6-7 innings. Coupled with the fact that Monday is an off day. So I think our bullpen could handle a bullpen game on Saturday.

Looks like Cappy will pitch Saturday for Indy. So he'll probably get a start in Pittsburgh or maybe the Thursday game in Puerto Rico?

SBS

Just wanted to say I was at the game today and it was a wonderful day at the ballpark. Other than one freak play where Bill Hall made a terrible decision to try and throw out a runner at first after an OVerbay error the game was well played. Hall was 2-4 today and he hit that snot out of the HR on a line into the left field stands. I hope he can get more PT if he produces when he plays.

JP had Doug Melvin on his pre-game show a few days ago and they talked about Adams and Bausher being "stretched out"... I didn't get to listen to the interview (it's archived online, so I'll do that soon), but JP talked about it later during the broadcast and said that they weren't converting Bausher and Adams to starters. Rather, they want them to work through the order a few times so they develop secondary and tertiary pitches. Both are still relief prospects in his mind, and this is just a way to make them better once they get to the bigs.

~Bill

I was also at the game. Great weather (a nice surprise after leaving Madison in a steady rain). The roof was open for just the second time this season, and the Brewers are 2-0 in roof-open games in 2004.

That 2nd inning 2-error play earned Uecker's comments. Watch for it on a blooper spot near you later this season. All Bill had to do was hang onto the ball once he kept it from rolling to the outfield, but alas.

Fortunately, as we all know, these aren't the 2002 Brewers who would have let a play like that snowball until it was 9-0 in the 4th or something.

And Sharpie was sharp enough.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I can't believe they'd bother with Riechart when Caps is coming off the DL next week, at the latest.

Anyone who wonders why March is meaningless need not look past Ford and Hernandez. They are solid AAA pitchers who haven't proved they can do much in the bigs. They haven't proved they can't pitch either, in the few innings they've thrown.

I do like Ford as a Buddie type, but he's a 11th man at best. He has limited ceiling, to say the least.

JP had Doug Melvin on his pre-game show a few days ago and they talked about Adams and Bausher being "stretched out"... I didn't get to listen to the interview (it's archived online, so I'll do that soon), but JP talked about it later during the broadcast and said that they weren't converting Bausher and Adams to starters. Rather, they want them to work through the order a few times so they develop secondary and tertiary pitches. Both are still relief prospects in his mind, and this is just a way to make them better once they get to the bigs.

I've never seen either pitch nor can i claim i know enough to say that is a good or wrong choice.I do think though there is nothing wrong with keeping legit prospect arms in relief roles as minor leaguers.The bullpen is often the most underrated aspect of big league teams. great or good pen can equate to quite a few wins for a team and a bad pen can bring doom.

Bullpen arms maybe easier to find that quality starters,but it doesnt mean they aren't very important.If Bausher or Adams can become a quality arm out of the pen for a few years,that's a big find for the team.

also, if they're in the pen, and we have crappy starters (cause our prospects are hurt), then they'll rarely be used with leads.

So why not try to use your best pitchers while the games are close.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Nice win today. 18-16 looks pretty darn nice at this stage.

One question.

Is EVERY soft tossing lefty we get who throws 4-5 nice starts going to labelled "a Jamie Moyer type"??

Why can't Doug Davis just be Doug Davis, for crying out loud?

"Is EVERY soft tossing lefty we get who throws 4-5 nice starts going to labelled "a Jamie Moyer type"??

Why can't Doug Davis just be Doug Davis"

We can choose from the two obvious compromises.

Jamie Davis?

Doug Moyer?

I'm partial to Jamey Davis myself, but I agree with Roco's point. Moyer is incredibly cagey. Looking at some of his miscelleanous stats it looks like not only has he generically benefited from some really good defense and favorable park (in addition to his sly style), but he inverted his GB/FB ratio after Safeco opened. Which is exactly what you'd want to do if you went from the Kingdome to Safeco with Mike Cameron watching your back. Davis has a somewhat similar profile, but It's hard to project him for the same kind of excellent success. I'm happy to wind up with a #4 starter. And looking at his career line I can't for the life of me figure out why Texas let him go he never posted an ERA above 5 except for his 1 2003 start.

igor67

Miller Park isn't exactly a bandbox (344 LF, 370 LC, 400 CF, 374 RC, 345 RF).

Davis won't have to be an ace, but if he could be a solid #3, I'll take that. I'd be very happy to have a Sheets-Hendrickson-Davis 1-2-3 punch at the top of the Brewers rotation for the forseeable future.

Archived