Brewer Fanatic

05/16/2004 - Brewers (Sheets) vs. Braves (Wright)

batman
That was absolutely incredible. And, like so many others I was dumb and went last night (we already had tickets!). I listened to the first 7 in the car and got home for the 8th and 9th. IT was a very special performance and you could see in the post game interview that Ben apprecuated the fan support, and you know they appreciateld the performance.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
also a note on Pods. Despite his slump in avg, he's been hitting balls hard. At least 3 times in the series he hit shots to the left-center gap that only Jones or Cameron would have gotten to.

with sheets' performance today, he jumps to 2nd in the big in strikeouts, 2 behind the big unit.

with overbay's performance today, he's still first in 2b by 5 over vinny castilla, 1st in RBI with 2 more than rolen, and 3nd in batting average.

i believe they both merit an allstar nod each

What a great performance. The crowd was really into the game from the 7th inning on.

I lost a good amount of respect for Estrada after that crap he pulled in the last AB. Take it like a man not a child.

Simply amazing. Sheets was hitting the corners great with his fastball, which was letting him get ahead early in the count. Then he'd just throw curveball after curveball and the braves had no shot. i went to his first 10K game this year against the Astros, where he rellied heavily on the fastball. Not today!

Did he throw ONE changeup? :)

That was the best pitching performance by a Brewer i've ever seen.It almost seemed like Sheets was a mind reader,whatever the Brave hitter thought was coming Sheets threw the other.Great velocity,great curve,and great command.

Been AGES since we had a dominating starter,almost forgot what it was like.

Just got home from the game and it was by far the best game I've ever seen in my life. I can barely talk, but it was worth it. Modest crowd of aoubt 20k but it was as loud as I've ever heard Miller Park in the last two innings. I love Ben Sheets.

~Bill

I was at the game, too. Seeing everyone standing and screaming during the last few innings was amazing to say nothing of Sheets performance. Just when the Braves thought they'd sit curveball he'd blow a fastball by a motionless batter.

A historically good pitching performance...what a great game, what an exciting team...

I remember early in 1986, when Roger Clemens had his 20-strikeout game. I was in college and only casually following baseball at the time, so I didn't really know who he was. It seemed like he seized the spotlight with that game and never looked back.

Clemens was 24 then. Sheets, at 25, has taken a lot of heat for his so-so results the past few years, but the Brewers threw him into the majors at least a little bit ahead of schedule, without much minor league seasoning. He won't be the MVP this year, and he isn't Clemens, but I'm betting this breakout game also heralds a breakout season and a career as a legit ace.

Then again, maybe not. But what a blast.

Greg.

Now seems like a good time to ask this. JS online, and I suspect JS in print has a stat called BFP in their box scores, anyone have any idea what it stands for. My first thought was First Pitch Balls (Ball First Pitch).

K's matter for pitchers and not hitters??? What kind of logid is that? Arent the wishes of pitchers and hitters dyametrically opposed? Whats good for one is bad for the other and vice versa? If a k helps the pitcher I can only assume it hurts the batter and the batters team.

K's matter. Its just stupid to think they dont. Runner on 3rd 1 out. K rules. Sac flies sucks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm going to jump in and suggest you guys start another thread on strikeouts. This could last a while.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

K's matter for pitchers and not hitters???

This really does belong in another thread, but BA or BP did a study a few years ago that basically said that picthers could only control strikeout and homeruns allowed, that once a ball was hit, whether or not it turned into a hit or an out was fairly random.

Obviously strikeouts matter sometimes, especially in the situations you suggested. But Jim Thome is a pretty good hitter inspite of striking out 150+ times a year. And Sosa is pretty good. And Sexson is pretty good. Giambi. Some guy names Ruth lead the league in Ks more years than not and id OK.

PS- Ben Sheets is pretty good

Archived