Brewer Fanatic

05/18/2004 - Brewers (Davis) @ San Juan Expos (Day)

The Brewers (19-18) start their second and last series of the season against the Expos (13-25) this evening and try to remain unbeaten this season against their opponents from the great north. The series is being played at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, PR. Game time is 6:05 CST.

Doug Davis (3-2, 3.99) goes for Milwaukee and has the unenviable task of pitching the game after Ben Sheets' 18 strikeout masterpiece. It's like being the fourth batter after back-to-back-to-back home runs. Davis has been the second best pitcher in the Milwaukee rotation after Sheets, and should be back in the top 10 in NL innings pitched with a good start against the punchless Expos today. Davis hooks up with Expos starter Zach Day (2-4, 3.35), who is quitely turning into one of the better young pitchers in the game.

Brewerfan.net/Statfox Mathup Info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp?teamId=1

ESPN.com Preview:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pr...=240518120

Sportsline Preview:

www.sportsline.com/mlb/ga...18_MIL@MON

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

start their second and last series of the season against the Expos

Does this mean the Crew will never again play in Olympic Stadium?

I'm crushed. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

Weird trivia: the Expos' current rotation features five starters from five different countries.

Livan Hernandez - Cuba

Zach Day - USA

Sun-Woo Kim - Korea

Tomo Ohka - Japan

Claudio Vargas - Dominican Republic

I wonder how many other teams in baseball can claim this distinction?

Hey Bill,

thanks as always. Those pitching matchups for the Cubs-Giants and Astros-Marlins look very fun. With no Brewers on the tube, I may have to check them out.

Here's hoping for at least 2 of 3 against the Expos.

Atleast noone is calling for a sweep again.... shesshhh.

I would be, but taking 5 of 6 on the season would make me very happy. If we take the first two, then I'll get greedy.

It's scary to think how good the Expos would be if they were healthy. Armas, Patterson as the swing man, Johnson and his .400 obp at 1st, and some pop from Carl Everett. Just having those hitters would give a big boost to Wilkerson and Batista

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Quote:
Atleast noone is calling for a sweep again.... shesshhh.

Peter Noone is calling for a sweep? Sweet!

http://www.beachboardwalk.com/concerts/2003_bands/t_PeterNoone.jpg

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Today's lineups are brought to you in part by "WHY CAN'T THIS GAME BE ON TELEVISION?!?" and Ben Hendrickson.

MILWAUKEE MONTREAL AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Scott Podsednik CF .277 3 13 Endy Chavez CF .234 1 6 Craig Counsell SS .239 1 7 Jose Vidro 2B .254 4 13 Keith Ginter 2B .250 6 13 Orlando Cabrera SS .243 3 10 Geoff Jenkins LF .258 4 24 Carl Everett RF .233 1 2 Lyle Overbay 1B .369 5 38 Tony Batista 3B .226 2 11 Brady Clark RF .212 3 10 Brad Wilkerson 1B .242 4 12 Wes Helms 3B .252 2 12 Juan Rivera LF .250 1 8 Chad Moeller C .241 2 12 Brian Schneider C .231 5 10 Doug Davis LHP .000 0 0 Zach Day RHP .077 1 1 (3-2, 3.99) (2-4, 3.35)

Nice to see Ginter make his triumphant return to the lineup, and it looks like Grieve's groin is still bothering him. Carl Everett is back in the lineup for Montreal, but let's hope he's still very rusty.

Go Crew,

~Bill

I hope Ginter can catch fire and prove to me that he's more than a utility man. I'd enjoy being proven wrong on that one.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hope Ginter can catch fire and prove to me that he's more than a utility man. I'd enjoy being proven wrong on that one.

Yeh, Ginter sucks.

LINK

5th best OPS among NL 2B OBVIOUSLY nothing more than a utility player. Again, I ask,

WHAT DOES HE HAVE TO DO FOR PEOPLE TO THINK HE'S STARTER QUALITY

Meanwhile Helms is 15th among NL 3B, but he kicks but!

Doug's 3.99 ERA is quite nice, all things considered, but you can't live with this many runners on a game to game basis and get away with it consistently.

and actually, I think considering the timeline, someone who is hurt for 2 weeks and not DL'd should said to have been "Kolb-ed". But that doesn't really roll off the tongue now, does it?

Community Moderator

and actually, I think considering the timeline, someone who is hurt for 2 weeks and not DL'd should said to have been "Kolb-ed". But that doesn't really roll off the tongue now, does it?

Just to clarify: Kolb was hurt on Saturday, May 1st vs Pittsburgh, and pitched again for the first time on Saturday, May 8th vs NY. How does missing 6 days and 5 games qualify as 2-weeks?

Archived