Brewer Fanatic

5/20/2004 - Brewers (Wise) @ San Juan Expos (Ohka)

Bored? Nothing to do?

Are you in Puerto Rico?

Were you thinking about going to Puerto Rico this afternoon?

The Brewers (20-19) finish up their season series with the Expos (14-26) this afternoon down in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Game time is at 1:35 CST. After splitting the first two games, the Brewers will be looking for the win in the rubber match and to whip the Expos five games to one for the season series.

Matt Wise (0-0, 9.00) makes his third appearance and first start as a Brewer. The former Angel and Tommy Johnee has pitched three innings with the Brewers, allowing three runs (all earned) on four hits, two walks, and five K's. Wise has pitched once this season against the Expos, pitching two innings of two hit, three K relief. The Expos will counter with starter Tomo Ohka (1-5, 3.92), another Expos pitcher victimized by horrendous run support.

Brewerfan/StatFox Matchup Info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp?teamId=1

MLB Preview:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...&fext=.jsp

ESPN Preview:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pr...=240520120

Sportsline Preview:

www.sportsline.com/mlb/ga...20_MIL@MON

EDIT: Edited for change in starting pitcher for the 'Crew.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
 MILWAUKEE MONTREAL AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Scott Podsednik CF .263 3 13 Endy Chavez CF .252 1 6 Craig Counsell SS .269 1 7 Jamey Carroll 2B .286 0 3 Keith Ginter 3B .267 6 15 Terrmel Sledge 1B .253 4 10 Geoff Jenkins LF .263 4 24 Orlando Cabrera SS .252 3 11 Lyle Overbay 1B .363 5 38 Matt Cepicky LF .190 0 2 Bill Hall 2B .284 3 18 Juan Rivera RF .250 1 9 Ben Grieve RF .267 3 10 Brian Schneider C .243 6 12 Gary Bennett C .259 1 6 Andy Fox 3B .211 1 1 Wes Obermueller RHP .250 0 1 Tomo Ohka RHP .154 0 0 (2-1, 7.64) (1-5, 3.92)

What a horrible lineup the Expos are tossing out there today. No Vidro, Wilkerson and Everett?

Frankly, this should be an easy win for the Brewers, even with Obermueller pitching. Only a gem by Ohka really stands in the way.

Robert

The only sad thing is that a "solid game" by Wes against this team (you know the 6 inning 3 run type) may prolong his starting. Against taht line-up Sheets throws a shutout and a good pitcher gives up no more than 2 runs.

INDIANAPOLIS (AAA) MONTREAL Ryan Knox CF Endy Chavez CF Steve Scarborough SS Jamey Carroll 2B Corey Hart RF Terrmal Sledge 1B Jeff Liefer 1B Orlando Cabrera SS Jon Nunnally CF Matt Cepicky LF Chris Magruder DH Juan Rivera RF Scott Sheldon 3B Brian Schneider C Alex Delgado C Andy Fox 3B Luis Figueroa 2B Tomo Ohka P

Who scores more runs?

From the way Yost sounded while talking to Uecker, I think it is pretty safe to assume we will not be seeing Ben Hendrickson on Saturday. The team is starting Wise today and going with the 3 inning approach due to the expected rain delays. To all of our shagrin I think this all but guarantees Wes starting on Saturday and not Ben,http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Yeah. I thought I could tell even in Uecker's talk with Yost before last night's game that he didn't really want to have to call up Hendrickson.

So I guess today we'll see a combination of Wise, Kinney, Adams. Hopefully that will get us through 5 to 6 innings?

All of you ready to replace Obermueller because of his performance so far, remember he's the one guy who has had to adjust to a very irregular pitching schedule due to tinkering by Yost.

I fear that all this messing with Obermueller is going to make it hard for him to pitch with any confidence until he can settle into a regular rotation. Whether he gets that chance is another question.

Not to take the conversation in a different direction, but it is time to sit Pods down for a game or two. Last year he hit a fatigue wall and his numbers dropped. After some time off, he pulled his average back up above .300. I know he is still getting on base, but I can't remember the last time I saw an average drop as fast as his has. Maybe if this game isn't played, Yost could give him tomorrow off too. Then 2 games before another break. Keep him out of the cage too for a bit or just let Butch at him. Just fix the problem.

i agree with ned.

I think they should leave hendrickson in AAA as long as possible...it may just be one more week anyway

besides, iwon't mind finding out iof wise has got a major league arm...i don't think this is a bad thing at all..i mean, if you are gonna throw some relievers to the wolves...why not do it against the guys they were playing against in INDY 2 weeks ago??

hey, maybe mike adams gets 3 innings today....

on a sidenote...what happenes if they can't play this game???the brewers aren't going anywhere near puerto Rico again, right???Do they make it up in Mke???or do we just forget about it?

Quote:
Do they make it up in Mke???or do we just forget about it?

Looks like they are going to try to get it in. However, it doesn't sound very pleasant down there. In case of a rainout I think they would just scratch the game. And if need be (Brewers need a win to get in the playoffs http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eek.gif ) I assume the game would be made up in Montreal.

Edit: Listening to Uecker and Powell joke about the attendance is pretty entertaining.

I concur with Ned as well. I think it's smart to start a reliever given what the weather's supposed to be like. And I don't think there is anyway they are not going to play today, as Milwaukee doesn't play the Expos again.

Archived