Brewer Fanatic

5/22/2004 - Brewers (Sheets) @ Pirates (Fogg)

Current conditions for Pittsburgh, PA:

www.weather.com/weather/l...earch_city

The Brewers (21-19) will try again today in Pittsburgh to stretch their winning streak to three games, and Ben Sheets (4-2, 2.90) looks to continue his recent domination. After a rain-out yesterday, the Brewers will look to start a quick two-game sweep against the Pirates (18-20), the only sixth-place team in baseball. Josh Fogg (1-4, 7.75) will go today for the Pirates. Game time is 6:05 CST.

Sportsline Preview:

www.sportsline.com/mlb/ga...22_MIL@PIT

ESPN Preview:

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/pr...=240522123

MLB Preview:

milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com...&fext=.jsp

We're at the quarter-pole of the season, and the Brewers are 1.5 games out of the wild card lead, and 2.5 games away from a division lead.

Yeah, it's bunched up, and yes, all common sense says otherwise, but it's nice to look forward to that first pitch each game...

Yeah, it's bunched up, and yes, all common sense says otherwise, but it's nice to look forward to that first pitch each game...

Indeed it is. I think we all appreciate the winning more because it has been so rare. Remember how tough it was to get excited about games in 2002 and even for much of last season? This year is 180 degrees different... and even if the winning doesn't last, it sure is nice right now!

~Bill

Here's hoping Sheets can have a 10 strike-out day to silence those who said his 18k game was an aberration due to the shadows. Oh yea, and hoping the Brewers win too, of course!!!!!http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

Today's lineups are brought to you by happiness, 'cause that's what happens when Nedley puts together a batting order like this http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

MILWAUKEE PITTSBURGH AVG HR RBI AVG HR RBI Scott Podsednik CF .269 4 14 Jason Kendall C .302 0 19 Craig Counsell SS .268 1 7 Jack Wilson SS .344 4 15 Junior Spivey 2B .290 3 17 Daryle Ward 1B .378 5 10 Geoff Jenkins LF .262 4 24 Craig Wilson RF .347 9 28 Lyle Overbay 1B .360 5 38 Rob Mackowiak 3B .261 8 19 Keith Ginter 3B .260 6 15 Jason Bay LF .333 2 6 Ben Grieve RF .260 3 10 Abraham Nunez 2B .298 1 4 Chad Moeller C .235 2 12 Tike Redman CF .232 2 13 Ben Sheets RHP .000 0 0 Josh Fogg RHP .000 0 0 (4-2, 2.90) (1-4, 7.75) 

I'm going through Brewers' withdrawal, so they better get this game in. SlideBernieSlide is supposed to be there, too... don't want his trip to get spoiled by rain.

Go Brewers!

~Bill

I honestly could careless if Ben Sheets ever gets another hit in his major league career. As long as he can get the bunts down and keeps pitching like he has this year that's fine with me. But I do hear what you are saying. I would compare his swing to a 10 or 12 year old stepping in there against a high school senior throwing 85-90. He has that "stepping in the bucket" move perfected! Honestly though sometimes when he does go up there with noone to bunt over, I would just assume he keeps the bat on his shoulder and walks back to the bench. The way he swings the bat makes me nervous when considering his back problem history. I sure do love to watch him throw though http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

Anyone else a little worried about that lineup the Pirates are throwing out there today? Only the 8 and 9 hole look weak. Everyone else is either hitting at or near .300 or is a power threat.

Let's hope Sheets is on top of his game. I wonder what kind of effect the long rest will have on him.

Damn, this division is tough.

C'mon Ginter, this is your big shot. At least 1 month of starting time at 3B--be the man. I've got sooooooo many friends who do not like Ginter and want to show me I'm wrong for advocating him. The worst part is he seems to hit the ball on a line almost every time but all these friends see is the 1-4 in the box score. Then again, these are my friends, I should take that into account.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Strange, I just tuned in during the 5th, and I've seen Ben throw several balls that appear over the plate and are crossing in the zone (not necessarily caught in the zone), yet are being called balls. Tight zone today

I'm with Peavey...why can't we beat these guys? It just sucks to lose so many games to them when we could be making up ground.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Nice play Counsell. Twice you should have been out, yet you manage to reach base, then decide to give them a third chance to get you out.

Man, this game has been frustrating as hell to watch.

Archived