Brewer Fanatic

05/25/2004 - Brewers (Santos) vs. Dodgers (Ishii)

batman
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow, I don't like this at all. Facing Gagne, it'll be JEnkins, Overbay, and Clark. Wow that sucks. So, Ned will led Brady hit, but who should it be...Kieschnick or Grieve? although, maybe he'd use Brooks since there is the opportunity to tie the game, which is Ned's criterion for using him

You can chalk this one up as one of the most frustrating games of the year. I always get a little more excited about the games where the Brewers have a chance to get to three games over .500 and every freakin' time they lose!!!

Some notes:

-As posted earlier, Trent Durrington is about as useful as Enrique Cruz was last year.

-Gary Bennet flat out blows. He can't hit and his defense sucks too.

-Brady Clark can't hit for anything, but it does seem like he gets to some balls in the outfield that Grieve wouldn't be able to.

-Jenkins MUST sit the next time the Brewers face a lefty...and it wouldn't be a bad idea to give Scotty Po a day off too (I'm sick to death of his fly balls to left/center on 3-1 pitches).

-It sucks to have one bad inning ruin an otherwise well-pitched game...where are the clutch hits?

Ok, well it's gonna be Gagne time in about a minute...anyone willing to predict his streak will end???

And it wasn't THAT offensive

Yeah, after all we're somewhat revisiting the "Pods girl" thread of last week that caused such an uproar on the Major Leagues board with quotes like:

secondly, nice rack

Not that I'm complaining, just agreeing.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Ok, well it's gonna be Gagne time in about a minute...anyone willing to predict his streak will end???

Kieschnick and Ginter are the two best fastball hitters we have, but with a two-run lead (and maybe more) I can't say I'm optimistic. And even though Gagne throws amazingly quick, the reason he's so good is his ability to change speeds. And unfortunately, the aforementioned duo aren't so good when that happens.

~Bill

re: Brady Clark getting thrown out at second base...

Good to see we have the NL's most feared 6 hole hitter in today's lineup once again. Maybe he can ground into more double plays, or better yet, get thrown out stealing again.

Brady Clark has to be about the worst person on the team at stealing bases. What is he? Like 1 for 8 this year?? I hope he is in the starting lineup again tomorrow.

Jeebus that guy is good. You can't really feel bad about going down 1-2-3... he's just amazing.

It never should have gotten to him, though... lots and lots of wasted opportunities and stupid managerial decisions.

Color me disappointed.

~Bill

In general i think closers are overrated to a degree and overpaid,but Gagne is one of the exceptions.This guy is flat out filthy,i had zero hope a comeback was a possibility.A 99mph fastball,75 mph change,and a nasty bender all with incredible command.Crazy good.

Brewers now 0-7 in games where they are shooting for 3 over .500. That doesn't bode well for Thursday if they win tomorrow, but given the way the season has gone they'll most likely lose tomorrow and win Thursday.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet the farm on the opposing team the next time we are 2 over. (Hopefully there will be a next time).

Paul Lo Duca can be a jerk sometimes, but he's genuinely passionate about baseball. Very respectful in the interview with Brainerd, despite Bob's rambling questions, and he wasn't a cliche spouter in his responses.

I gotta respect that... he doesn't have to give an interview to the opposing TV broadcast, and he doesn't have call the Brewers a tough ballclub. Refreshing after a ripping-the-hair-out-at-the-roots game.

Kudos, Paul!

~Bill

Here's what I wrote at 6:51PM, before tonight's first pitch:

I realize it doesn't matter all that much, but it's one of the little things that he could do to improve the club's chances (even that tiny bit).

Would things have been different had he batted Ginter before Clark? I'm not saying, but I'm just saying.

~Bill

*Bill Schroeder said that Milton Bradley is a journeyman..Hmm

*Most likely tomorrow Corey Hart will be sent down and Brady Clark will be in RF..I don't like that

*Wise...I don't think so. I mean these are major league hitters and he throws two average pitches...

*I'm not sure having two LH hitters in a row is a good idea against a LH pitcher...

*Bill Hall should be the SS of this team and it should be absolutely obvious to everyone..Counsell is not an everyday player..nice player...just not every freakin' day..

*Brainerd's wife was better looking than I would have thought...maybe she should handle the game

*Santos has had a nice little run, but we won't be seeing him in the rotation in July...command is too poor in and out of the strike zone

*Is it me, or is Podsednik suddenly trying to pull almost everything instead of dumping the ball into LF like last year?

*I like the 'O' chant when Overbay bats

*Tomorrow is another LH pitcher...hello Brady!!

I just got a glimpse of tomorrow's lineup card. we are facing another tough lefty and in response Yost is going with

1. Brady Clark CF

2. Bill Hall SS

3. Junior Spivey 2b

4. Brady Clark LF

5. Lyle Overbay 1b

6. Brady Clark RF

7. Keith Ginter 3b

8. Chad Moeller C

Ned said he plans to use the new "ghost runner" rule if Brady gets on and then has to bat again. Not a bad idea, at least it will be harder to tell if the ghost runner is tagged out when trying to steal.

Just got back from the game. A few observations:

1. Santos really looked good in the first two frames. He was mixing the fastball/changeup up very nicely, and seemed to have most everyone fooled. After the Bennett miscue, he seemed to get very rattled, abandoned the changeup, and threw almost exclusively fastballs. A situation like that is where a veteran like Bennett or Mike Maddux has to come out, settle him down, and force him to stick to the game plan.

2. Jenkins and Podsednik are absolutely killing this team. With Brady Clark in there today as well, we have not only dead space in three key spots in the order (1,3,6) but black holes. It seems like Jenkins and Clark especially pride themselves on taking something away from the team whenever they bat. Jenkins is absolutely clueless with timing and pitch selection, and Podsednik is far too defensive at the plate. He is no longer attacking balls, and as a result is hitting lots of weak ground balls and looping fly balls.

3. Very nice AB by Corey Hart. Good two strike swing, good composure after the 0-2 count. I would be all for sending Wise/Adams/Durrington back down for a couple of days and letting Hart get a couple of starts (do these guys have options?). This would also help send a message to Jenkins/Podsednik.

MJC

Archived