Brewer Fanatic

05/25/2004 - Brewers (Santos) vs. Dodgers (Ishii)

batman

Where's the patience we are always talking about? That is like example 1 of why it's important to have some discipline at the plate.

That's called poor coaching and in-game management. Im sorry, but if the opposing pitcher just walked three guys in a row, with most of the pitches not even close, the following hitter gets the take sign until the pitcher throws a called strike. I don't care who is batting.

That's just simple, in-game management. Quite disappointing, and an example of how Ned at times completely looks out-classed and inept at in-game managing.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't it about time to give Jenkins one of those "imfamous" days off get when they're sucking out loud? I mean how can he strike out on 3 straight pitches when the pitcher gives up 3 straight walks? That's lunacy. At least we got 1 run, though should have been more obviously, and Santos came back and pitched a scoreless inning, though giving up a walk to the pitcher was a little suspect. Trent

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bill, I've mentioned it before about Schroeder and Sutton, and I'll say it again. They DO NOT THINK about what they're saying before it comes out of their mouths. They say things, at least once a game, that as you say, are complete UNTRUTHS. They might be ok to listen to, but the constant barrage of false statements make it hard for me to take them even semi-seriously.

Like Sutton's comment a few weeks ago:

"Keith Ginter is VERY hard to strike out" Hehe, yeah right.

Bill Schroeder just said that "walking batters is something you don't normally see from Santos" because "he relies on control". Are you kidding me?

Actually, I was always under the impression that he had average stuff at best, but got by more on saavy than stuff. He doesn't throw all that hard (90-92). Actually, I thought he'd showed a good curve recently, and I don't think we ever saw one tonight.

Nice at bat there by Hart. Gotta think somewhere deep down inside, Ned is thinking that a double switch is an option (even with the Pitcher due to hit 5th next time through, but that could be relieved by pitching Kieschnick

Quote:
Pretty swing, isn't it?

Congrats Corey.

Chris

It is quite the pretty swing....and now that I've finally seen it, I can try to match it to one of the ones on MVP Baseball! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Actually, I was always under the impression that he had average stuff at best, but got by more on saavy than stuff. He doesn't throw all that hard (90-92). Actually, I thought he'd showed a good curve recently, and I don't think we ever saw one tonight.

Well, his stuff isn't *that* good or he wouldn't have bounced around the minor leagues. He has a very live fastball and a plus splitter, but he's always struggled with his control. I don't think "saavy" is a good descriptor of him, as that seems more like how I would describe Ishii. Most guys who throw 90+ with a good splitter aren't "saavy".

Regardless, it's not important... Santos is the exact opposite of a control pitcher.

In other news, it's nice to see our resident utility man with two doubles tonight. Great to see Corey get a big ovation, too, and he very nearly went yard there. Tough to only get one AB during your callup, but we'll be seeing him again I'm sure.

~Bill

It is quite the pretty swing....and now that I've finally seen it, I can try to match it to one of the ones on MVP Baseball!

I've got some BP footage I took in huntsville last year that I'm trying to get online. The file is a 15mb windows media file.

I've gotta say that Kinney comes out of the pen and looks pumped up--almost pissed.

When he starts, he looks so lethargic and laid back.

And I just saw a heater touch 95. He usually sits at 88-92 in starts

If we trade Danny Kolb, I think Matt Kinney could be a good closer. He doesn't have the velocity of Kolb, but he's got good enough stuff to get by for three hitters. If we could turn him into a good setup man or closer and flip him for prospects, I'd be ecstatic. Billy Beane did it with Koch and Isringhausen, and Kinney isn't all that different from those two.

~Bill

He struck-out swinging on a low curve/slider, but he hit an 0-2 pitch into the buckethead section. Would have been gone if fair, and it got a huge ovation from the crowd.

~Bill

Is it tripping anyone else out to see Billy Hall *not* swing at breaking pitches in the dirt. You can almost see him starting to swing and then something clicks and he tells himself "STOP... don't do that." It's just night and day compared to his previous stints in the big leagues. Very cool to see, and hopefully he can keep improving until those walk totals increase.

Sweet play by Beltre... wow.

EDIT: Nice, Brian... looks like somebody is having fun with Tivo http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

Actually, I bet that is a digital photo of your TV. Am I right?

~Bill

I was thinking the same thing about Hall. My critique of him is the same as my critique of Krynzel (when I've seen him). They almost look (or, perhaps, looked...for Hall) like the only times they took pitches were when they decided in advance "okay, I'm taking the first one" or "I'm not swinging until there's a strike." Hall is now starting to react to pitches, much better than guessing. Good to see guys make adjustments and mature

The Brewers are really LOBbying for a loss tonight.

Did anyone actually think Gary Bennett would come through with a hit there? At least he worked the count and went after a strike... it's not his fault he's a terrible hitter.

~Bill

Nope, PC tv-tuner/video capture card. I have video of the whole at-bat, but it's a 40 meg AVI file....

That is sweet. I've always wanted to hook up a DVR to a computer so I could capture video like that... so far, I haven't had the money or the motivation to actually do it, but it's definitely a cool project.

Hopefully Corey's parents have a VHS or Tivo of the AB, but if not I'd bet that AVI movie would be worth a few autographs http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif .

~Bill

Did anyone actually think Gary Bennett would come through with a hit there? At least he worked the count and went after a strike... it's not his fault he's a terrible hitter.

I had a little hope, but that's cause early in the season he punched a bunch of clutch hits over the 2nd baseman.

After this poor showing so far, you have to wonder if a consideration is to send Adams down to AAA to see if Hart can provide some energy for a few days.

Also, we're down to Moeller, Grieve, Durrington and Kieschnick on the bench, and it's the 6th inning.

Archived