Brewer Fanatic

LaPorta swing mechanics analysis

Thats a pretty cool video Battlekow. Its interesting that the things Gomez is talking about with Laporta's swing is the same thing Bill Schoeder gushes about in Hardy's swing. It helps Hardy generate power despite not having a powerful build, I can only imagine what type of power it gives a rocked up guy like Laporta.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

It's apples and oranges though. They're two different hitters. Kozma wasn't drafted for his power, and even if he went to college, where LaPorta clearly has established himself over the last four years, he probably wouldn't be on the same level.

Keep in mind that JJ Hardy, a name that was already brought up by X, was scrutinized coming out of high school for his lack of power and overall hitting prowess. He obviously has overcome those doubts, but the same things that drew scouts to Hardy drew scouts to Kozma over the last year.

I can see the analysis comparing Kozma to a hitter at a similar stage to talk about the problems in his swing, but again, Kozma has pretty much been a gap to gap hitter, and yet that didn't deter the hordes of scouts that went to see him play this spring. LaPorta is all about power, and you don't have to break down his swing to figure that out. I have seen few hitters at the college level flick their wrists so quickly to swat balls out of the park from left to right field so effortlessly, and that is power you just can't teach.

Just for the record, I'm not a huge fan of Kozma either, but I just don't understand the point of the analysis.

EDIT: I just realized that this analysis came from the same guy that said confusing things about Jefferss a year ago, of which I commented about in a thread just before this one. I went over to THT to read this guy's thoughts and I still can't believe he's making concrete assessments based on video that is provided by MLB.com. If this guy wants a job with a big-league club, like the comment towards the end of each of his stories suggests, he needs to do more than break-down the MLB scouting bureau video.

If he's looking to replace Steve Phillips as one of the ESPN draft-day personalities, he may be in the running.

Quote:
It would neat to see how LaPorta's swing compares to a better player like Moustakas or Vitters.

I asked him whose swing he thought was better, Mills or LaPorta (who I (and most people) thought were the two best college hitters). He said that he liked LaPorta's swing better.

I like Gomez, he's an interesting writer. He is somewhat guilty of judging on only a few at-bats, but he readily admits that that is a problem (he can only analyze the video that exists, after all).

I went over to THT to read this guy's thoughts and I still can't believe he's making concrete assessments based on video that is provided by MLB.com.

You aren't the only one to question some of his analysis. My gut tells me that he goes much farther with his conclusions than the evidence should allow. Of course, I know nothing about proper mechanics, so I am in no position to say whether any of it is wrong or right.

Has he actually analyzed dozens of swings and displayed the ones most representative of the batter's tendencies?

Hi all, this is Carlos Gomez, the author of the article at The Hardball Times and the one who did that brief LaPorta/Kozma video bit.

One thing in particular that I'd like to address:

He is somewhat guilty of judging on only a few at-bats, but he readily admits that that is a problem (he can only analyze the video that exists, after all).

Guilty as charged. Part of the fun of an exercise like this for me is how much I can tell about a particular player from a few swings or a few pitches compared to what others say out there. I stand by them based on those videos.

I am aiming for a job with an MLB team. They generally like the answer to the question: "Is he good or not?" and that's what I try to do. Read the scouting reports in baseballamerica.com and you swear that they are all going to be stars...

I talked to a couple of teams' front office people and they are actually pretty impressed with what I'm doing and encourage me to come up with my opinions...so that's what I'll continue to do.

Thanks for the comments. Good or bad, I appreciate them.

Sincerely,

Carlos

Thanks for finding us, and I'm happy you didn't take the criticism too hard. I think what you're doing is interesting, I just think there are some things you can do to make it better.

That small sample size thing is tough, and I do realize that you're working with limited material, but there are other ways to expand your work, in ways that rluzinski alluded to just above. Having a little bit of history to work with and refer to would be helpful.

I'm curious, are you trying to find your way in scouting, or coaching? If it's scouting, if you don't mind, there are two key things to remember: One should never be blinded by one player's performance when you only have the chance to see that player once, especially when it isn't even in person (breaking down video and seeing a player live are two completely different things from personal experience), and one also has to try their best to project future performance, not necessarily current production. Meaning for instance, do you see Kozma's swing getting better with the proper instruction? Does he have the tools, work ethnic and other necessary qualities to learn to hit for more power? Would you be confident with your player development staff to teach him how to draw his hands in more, and does he have the aptitude to make the necessary adjustments to succeed?

I guess I just don't like discounting a player because his swing right now isn't perfect, especially when he's 18 years old. Few player's swings are, as I noted with JJ Hardy above, and I know a few scouts that told me a few years ago that they were concerned with the holes in Prince Fielder's swing. Those concerns obviously have been erased because those two players have made the necessary adjustments.

In that context, even though LaPorta isn't a very good comparison since he and Kozma are two completely different players, but it would be nice to see where LaPorta was at Kozma's stage in his career. I know that video isn't easily available, if it even exists, but that is the type of stuff I would want to see to be convinced, or at least satisfied.

I will say that I agree 100% with your assessment of scouting reports that are available on the web such as those on Baseball America that makes every player sound like a future star. I'm guilty of this as well, although there are quite a few players that I'm not fond of that I can't share the reasons as to why (or why not) for a variety of reasons. Mainly, it's not my job to sell players short.

Archived