Brewer Fanatic

Canseco at it again

wOOgiE22

When Jose Canseco wrote "Juiced" in 2005, he brought the issue of steroids in Major League Baseball to the forefront. Now, Canseco has another book due this fall and he promises some juicy info on Alex Rodriguez.

Canseco told WEEI-Radio in Boston on Friday that he has "other stuff" on the Yankees slugger, who he called a "hypocrite" who "was not all he appeared to be."

When asked if A-Rod had used steroids, Canseco told WEEI, "Wait and see."

sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2953302

I think Rodriguez is probably das dirty as Bonds...so I hope Canseco has a little juice on him as well.

Why Rodriguez gets a pass while other players are given the cold shoulder is beyond me.

Steroids is an issue and I believe there are lots of guys who are not what they appear to be, have lied about it, have avoided questions, etc. And yes, I believe Bonds knowingly did steroids and has lied about it.

I'm also not a big fan of A-rod or Schilling (who Conseco also called out very recently).

However, I'm really sick of Conseco. Here's a guy who has acknowledged doing them and now all he's doing is making money by "outing" other players. If he has such great evidence, I sure hope Mitchell and his committee are all over Conseco. But I'm talking about evidence - not just Conseco's opinion and heresay.

You can say what you want about Canseco, but without his book and some of his allegations, would we be having this discussion now, would they have the testing they have now, Would Milwaukee be in First place? I really think the steroids hurt the small market teams as players inflated their stats and got bigger contracts from big market clubs and thus it hurt the small markets.

MOST players have used steriods, and many still use preformance enhancements. Why Bonds take the majority of the hate for it is obvious, but I think we will find out more and more in the next few years about what has been going on behind the scenes and will learn that Bonds really didn't have much of an advantage over his peers, including the pitchers.

Put his record in its proper context, just like with any other record. Tony Gwynn's .338 career batting average might be more impressive than Babe Ruth's .342, due to the era it was accomplished in. But Babe Ruth's 714 home runs might be more impressive for that same reason.

You know for all of Canseco's faults (and he has many) he has been pretty much right on this whole steroid scandal. He named names in his book that implicated some players that actually got caught later and while ESPN and everybody was mocking him or laughing at him for his book, he was the one who came out right and a lot of "intelligent" sports writers came off looking like idiots.

Rp

What am wondering about is MLB has "random" drug testing of all players, so is any as skeptical as I am that they are accidently skipping players such as Bonds, ARod among others? It all seems like there has only been one big name and that is Palmeiro and the rest of the suspendees are guys like Neifi Perez and Alex Sanchez. There has to be more out there than what MLB is letting on. In addition, when Palmeiro tested positive, it took MLB several days behind closed doors to finally admit to Palmeiro's positive test. You all think that baseball is withholding a lot of information for the fear of blowing this game out of the water?

Players in the 50's using steroids? The drug of choice from the 60's to 90's was amphetamines and the 70's and 80's drug of choice was cocaine. Anyone even remember when Keith Hernandez and Mookie Wilson, among others was given a lifetime probation by then-commissioner Bowie Kuhn for their cocaine abuse back in the mid 1980's?

Exactly. He's been doing it solely for attention and selfish reasons, but he's also been right on the money it would seem.

Yep

I remember alot of people lashing out at Canseco saying he was lying to sell a book and that he'd get sued,non of which happened.I have no idea if ARod was a juicer also and has benefited by posting some phony padded stats,but i do have zero sympathy for the guys who did juice and are now getting exposed.

If a player did their thing with the help of a chemist to inflate their production,it's only the truth coming to light.I can't see any innocent prominent player getting accused in a book where profit is made,then sitting back and not suing for libel.

I'm not a big fan of Schilling,but like he said on Costas,innocent players won't just sit back and say no comment and let someone drag their name through the dirt.

Quote:
What am wondering about is MLB has "random" drug testing of all players, so is any as skeptical as I am that they are accidently skipping players such as Bonds, ARod among others?

Bonds tested positive for amphetamines last year (which he found in Mark Sweeny's locker), so I'd say no to that theory. Also every player is tested during spring training, with random testing done throughout the year.

Quote:
In addition, when Palmeiro tested positive, it took MLB several days behind closed doors to finally admit to Palmeiro's positive test.

I think that was probably MLB just waiting for the appeal process to be completed. Obviously having star players on the juice looks bad for MLB, but even worse would be MLB covering for them while a federal investigation is going on.

Gruber Lawffices

Archived