Brewer Fanatic

3/12/05 - Brewers (Davis) @ Rockies, 2:00 CT, WTMJ, web TV

MassBrew
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, even more people on the laugh parade regarding Helms....people that talk out of both sides of their mouths....ripping on Helms for not batting well in spring training, then dismissing it out of hand when he does well.

this is a personal, psychological thing for a number of people....they have put their line in the sand over Helms, and now they are stuck with it somehow. Personally, I just want the team to do well, however it appears that some people would prefer an 0-4 by Branyan over a 3-4 by Helms

Helms had a 1.006 OPS vs. lefties in '03, .842 last year....he at least should be given a chance in a platoon situation, it just makes baseball sense

Quote:
Come on guys. Helms was what, 1-15 before today? Then he hits 2 homers off crappy pitchers and now he should start out the year as our starting 3rd baseman? Use your heads.

I said to go with the hot bat when the season starts, whoever that is, i am happy with.

Quote:
this is a personal, psychological thing for a number of people....they have put their line in the sand over Helms, and now they are stuck with it somehow. Personally, I just want the team to do well, however it appears that some people would prefer an 0-4 by Branyan over a 3-4 by Helms

agreed, it really is weird isn't it?

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Bottalico will be fine, coming into a still early season ST game when youre up 12-1, you arent going to bring your best stuff. He knows he has a roster spot.

I see that there is a difference in the way the starting 3b should be chosen. I would think that Ned is going to wait til the very last day and look back and gauge who played better overall and who will bring more to the team, I dont think he just looks at 40 st at bats vs career at bats. There is more too it, he sees guys everyday, we hear about them.

Also, it seems that the common theme is that cirillo will make the team. I happen to agree with that, but we do realize that means either Branyan or Helms will be released., there is no way all three of them are on the 25 man roster IMO.

I might not see Jeff making the team, and those two do and they platoon, so it might be a moot point. Jeff can still go to AAA like he has said, and wait to come up if there is an injury or if RB or WH are really struggling.

The question is, will DM have the permission to rid ourselves of Wes due to his contract? I sure hope so.

Last, I just dont see Branyan not making the team and getting the job, unless he totally svcks it up, he hasnt been looking all that great so far, but again, its very early.

Helms may have hit two homers today, but its very concievable for him to go 1 for his next 14.

Also, it seems that the common theme is that cirillo will make the team. I happen to agree with that, but we do realize that means either Branyan or Helms will be released.

No it doesn't. It means we only carry 12 pitchers or no Magruder or whatever.

Quote:
Come on guys. Helms was what, 1-15 before today? Then he hits 2 homers off crappy pitchers and now he should start out the year as our starting 3rd baseman? Use your heads.

Can't anyone read the whole post? I am saying if he continues this for the rest of spring training.

If Helms continues to hit this well for the rest of spring training and Braynan doesn't, wouldn't it make sense if they started Helms on opening day. I am not saying that they should start him for hitting two home runs off of a crappy pitcher.

For example, who would you start: Player A who hit .178 with 1 home run in spring training. Or Player B who hit .356 who hit 5 home runs with 14 rbi's.

Now we may not even be faced with that decision, if Helms continues to struggle the rest of the spring, but as I have said in all my posts, if he can continue to hit this well against the major league caliber pitchers the rest of spring training he should get the opening day nod. Right?

I think a lot of the people on here just remember the 2004 Wes Helms rather than the 2003 Wes Helms. If he did that well in 2003, it isn't that impossible to do that well again. Don't forget that Helms was injured a lot of 2004 also.

Please take me as a Helms supporter, because I am not. I just think that coming out of spring training you should go with the hot bat and not the career stats.

If we go with a 12 man staff, that means we are going to be releasing some guys who I think have a roster spot, like Kieshnick.

As I see it Sheets, DD, Santos, Cap, Hendrickson are the starters.

Thats five.

7 relievers would have to be,

Adams

Lehr

Turnbow

Bottalico

Bennett

De La

Kieshnick

That means wed be releasing guys with no options, Wise or Glover who I think would make the team as a long reliever.

If we did go with 13, like I think we will. that leaves 12 spots.

Clark

Spivey

Obay

Lee

Jenks

Branyan

Miller

Hardy

Hall

Moeller

Cirillo

Helms?

I guess we could see Krynzel go to AAA if all three are playing relatively well, but I think its a bad move to keep all three, hence why I can see Cirillo going to AAA and Krnyzel staying as the 4th outfielder, plus, if you cut macgruder, and keep all three, you dont have a 4th OF, unless you expect Bill Hall to be a backup.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

For example, who would you start: Player A who hit .178 with 1 home run in spring training. Or Player B who hit .356 who hit 5 home runs with 14 rbi's.

What if Player A is Carlos Lee and Player B is Chris Magruder?

Should that situation be any different than what we see from Helms and Branyan?

And, by the way, I'm not anti-Helms or pro-Branyan. I'm for making this sort of decision based opon a meaningful body of work, rather than a limited amount of work against mixed competition where the sample is so small that nothing is proven.

If anyone here is "rooting against Helms", it's not because they don't want him to be sucessful. I can't imagine that anyone here wants Helms to perform poorly, especially if he's gonna play a significant amount this year. The reason people want him to fail this spring is for fear that Yost will overlook a .200 April and May because of his spring training performance when he should be playing someone else.

As for forgetting Helms and his 2003 season, I remember it well. It's been his sole sucessful season to-date, and I'm concerned that it was a outlier rather than an a typical Wes Helms season. I think that's a legitimate opinion/concern.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote:

What if Player A is Carlos Lee and Player B is Chris Magruder?

Should that situation be any different than what we see from Helms and Branyan?

Well I personally think that Helms and Branyan are the same caliber. Sure Branyan hits more home runs, but I think that Helms is capable of hitting for better average.

Magruder and Lee are definitely not the same caliber, but imo Branyan and Helms are pretty close to the same caliber.

Quote:
As for forgetting Helms and his 2003 season, I remember it well. It's been his sole sucessful season to-date, and I'm concerned that it was a outlier rather than an a typical Wes Helms season. I think that's a legitimate opinion/concern.

The same can be said about Podsednik(which i agree with), I just notice how people think pod is gonna do well when they think helms is gonna be awful.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived