Brewer Fanatic

3/12/05 - Brewers (Davis) @ Rockies, 2:00 CT, WTMJ, web TV

MassBrew
Quote:
As far as Helms and Branyan...they are the same age..and have nearly the same amount of Major league AB's to compare. RB has severely outplayed WH in those 1200 at bats and 40 spring AB's cant change that.

Now I am not going to say your wrong, because in some sense your right, but I do disagree with that comment. I personally am not a big fan of Helms either, but if he continues what he has done today (2 HRs, 5 RBI), why not give him the start on opening day. In the worst case senerio, Helms continues to struggle in the regular season and you can go to Branyan.

Now, a lot of Helms haters could say that "ohh this is against AAA pitching (i.e. Wright)." I agree, but like I said as it gets late into spring and he keeps hitting well why not give him the opening day start.

Also, something that is alot different than what I have been saying. Maybe this game will open the Sox's eyes again and the Brewers could actually get something for Helms.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Now I am not going to say your wrong, because in some sense your right, but I do disagree with that comment. I personally am not a big fan of Helms either, but if he continues what he has done today (2 HRs, 5 RBI), why not give him the start on opening day. In the worst case senerio, Helms continues to struggle in the regular season and you can go to Branyan.

You worded that a hell of a lot better than i did. lol, that was my point in my last post.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Quote:
Start a player who has proven to be inferior to someone else on your roster. Use Spring Training HR's off of Jamey Wright and Aaron Taylor as your rationale for doing so. See you in 6th place in September.

If he hits better this one year, i say keep him in. If branyan hits better, go with him. And besides, Helms/branyan alone is not going to keep us from a winning season or plummet us down to 6th.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I personally am not a big fan of Helms either, but if he continues what he has done today (2 HRs, 5 RBI), why not give him the start on opening day.

I agree. If Wes Helms hits two homers and drives in five runs every game, he should be our starting third-baseman.

~Bill

Quote:
Start a player who has proven to be inferior to someone else on your roster. Use Spring Training HR's off of Jamey Wright and Aaron Taylor as your rationale for doing so. See you in 6th place in September.

Let's all relax....the Brewers are leading 12-4 and none of us get to make personel decisions for the Brewers.

Quote:

Now, a lot of Helms haters could say that "ohh this is against AAA pitching (i.e. Wright)." I agree, but like I said as it gets late into spring and he keeps hitting well why not give him the opening day start.

Also, something that is alot different than what I have been saying. Maybe this game will open the Sox's eyes again and the Brewers could actually get something for Helms.

Oh you are good, you got the lottery numbers too my psychic friend?

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Quote:
I agree. If Wes Helms hits two homers and drives in five runs every game, he should be our starting third-baseman.

Agreed. I will personally kiss his bust at Cooperstown. Hell, I will personally kiss his bust. I guess it woudn't be much to kiss now that he has lost 70 pounds or whatever. I guess I missed my chance last year.

As far as Bottallico....

lets not forget that he was pretty sweet last year. 69 innings and only 54 hits while fanning 61. He held the league to a .215 AVG. He is fine tuning. He will be in the bully and should be effective. He has a track record and is coming off a more than solid year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Why would someone not go with the hot bat?

Because you might have to send Helms to AAA or AA so he can face the same level of pitchers off which this "hot" streak has started.

Any player can do anything in 60-80 ABs- good or bad. And it is because of that that using Spring Training stats over recent MLB performance is at best a curious decision. It certainly can (and occasionally does) work out, but its not playing the odds.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Quote:
Use Spring Training HR's off of Jamey Wright and Aaron Taylor as your rationale for doing so.

You did see that I said "later in the spring he will be facing more major league pitching." and I also said "I know right now he is hitting AAA pitching" You did see that didn't you?

Archived