Brewer Fanatic

3/13/05 - DBacks (Halsey) @ Brewers (Santos), 2:00 CT, TMJ

MassBrew

Very poor defense that inning. Bennett pitched relatively well, but Weeks slammed into Hall, preventing him from having a play. Hall botched a routine grounder, and Mosquero made an errant throw to first that Prince did not stop.

Glad this isn't our first string defense.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disastrous outing by Andy Pratt. Combined with his first couple outings, that pretty much crosses him off the list of possibilities for the major league club.

Pratt's line.

1 IP 7 H 5 R 0 K 1 BB

7. PH Noochie Varner 1B Hall made stop but couldn't grab the ball

8. PH Tila Reynolds 1B RBI Arizona 6 Milwaukee 5

Varner, of course, the former farmhand, and in truly obscure trivia, Reynolds was the Brewers 2002 13th round pick out of the University of Washington, didn't sign.

Wow, the Brewer kids are raking today -- sweet!!

Hopefully Andy Pratt is pitching bad enough to deter other teams from claiming him off waivers. He's got a great arm so it would be wonderful to be able to send him to the minors and hopefully help him put things back together. I can't imagine a team would want to keep him on their 25-man roster at this point... I hope I'm right.

~Bill

Brewers seem to be on the win some lose some border. But wow a team this year who has changed Cleveland their winning games 12-3 10-1 their doing great.

Yes, they're sure to win regular season games based on this performance. If you think these games mean something, check out the Yankees' record.

edit: Sorry, I misread the post a little bit, thought you were talking about their record. Those types of scores are a good sign, but my Yankees comment still stands.

I cannot figure out why you need spring training to figure out you throw to first base to get the out when you have a 3 or 4 run lead.

If an eight year old tried to get a guy at third (ala Hall) in that situation I would ask the parents for an IQ test. When I learned to play ball, you are always talking to yourself BEFORE the play. I find it hard to believe that major league players get a ball hit to them, then begin to think, 'oh gee, where are the runners, what is the score, what should I do'.

Those pitching lines are pretty ugly. The D-backs split their squad today, too... not a very good loss.

ARIZONA (15) AT MILWAUKEE (11) ARIZONA AB R H BI MILWAUKEE AB R H BI M Kata 2b 5 1 2 1 B Clark cf 1 1 0 0 S Santos ss 5 2 1 0 D Krynzel cf 3 1 2 1 J Cruz cf 4 0 2 0 J Spivey 2b 3 1 0 0 R Abercrombie pr- 2 3 2 2 R Weeks 2b 3 1 2 1 T Glaus 3b 3 0 1 1 L Overbay 1b 2 1 0 0 C Myers pr-3b 2 2 1 4 P Fielder 1b 2 0 0 0 T Clark 1b 4 1 2 2 G Jenkins rf 3 1 1 0 C Jackson 1b 2 2 2 0 C Magruder rf 2 0 0 0 K Hill c 3 1 2 0 W Helms 3b 3 0 1 1 K Stinnett c 2 1 2 2 R Branyan 3b 2 1 2 1 L Terrero rf 2 1 1 1 C Hart lf 3 0 2 3 P Stockman p 0 0 0 0 J Cirillo ph 2 0 0 0 N Varner ph-lf 3 0 1 0 T Durrington ph 1 0 0 0 S Hairston lf 2 0 0 0 J Hardy ss 1 0 1 0 T Reynolds ph 1 0 1 1 B Hall ss 2 2 1 0 A Green ph 1 1 1 0 C Moeller c 2 0 1 0 B Halsey lhp 1 0 0 0 J Mosquera c 0 0 0 0 B Haley ph 1 0 0 0 M Johnson pr-c 2 1 1 0 D Devore ph-rf 4 0 0 0 J Santana rhp 1 0 0 0 B Nelson lf 3 1 3 2 TOTALS 47 15 21 14 TOTALS 41 11 17 9 ARIZONA 000 101 526 -- 15 MILWAUKEE 301 001 600 -- 11 E--T Glaus, J Mosquera, B Hall. DP--ARIZONA 2, MILWAUKEE 1. LOB--ARIZONA 11, MILWAUKEE 13. 2B--T Clark 2, T Glaus, M Kata, C Moeller, R Weeks, C Hart. 3B--K Stinnett 2, G Jenkins, D Krynzel. HR--C Myers 1 (1) (off L Pena), L Terrero 1 (1) (off R Helling), R Abercrombie 1 (1) (off B Kieschnick). SB--B Clark 1 (1), R Weeks 1 (3). S--R Helling. IP H R ER BB SO HR ARIZONA B Halsey 3 5 4 3 3 2 0 K Tolar 1 1 0 0 0 2 0 B Medders 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 P Stockman 1 3 1 1 0 1 0 E Gonzalez 2-3 5 6 6 1 0 0 J Cannon (W,1-0) 1 1-3 2 0 0 3 1 0 C Daigle 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 MILWAUKEE V Santos 3 4 0 0 2 3 0 R Helling 2 1 1 1 0 1 0 J Bennett 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 A Pratt 1 6 5 5 2 0 0 B Kieschnick 1 3 2 2 0 1 0 R Beltran (L,0-1) 1-3 2 3 3 1 1 0 L Pena 1-3 4 3 3 1 0 0 C Paronto 1-3 0 0 0 0 1 0 HBP--R Weeks by P Stockman, B Clark by K Tolar. SO--ARI: D Devore 2, S Santos 2, J Cruz, L Terrero, S Hairston. MIL: G Jenkins 2, L Overbay, B Hall, P Fielder. BB--ARI: K Stinnett, T Glaus, M Kata, L Terrero, A Green, S Hairston, S Santos. MIL: R Branyan, B Clark, C Magruder, L Overbay, B Hall, J Hardy, P Fielder. T--3:45. A--7,241. 

I actually think the game was okay for the Brewers. The Brewers won the part of the game pitched by MLB ready pitchers. Santos and Helling both looked pretty good (though Helling is giving a lot of fly-outs) and Bennett pitched well (though shoddy defense by the 2nd team pegged him with an unearned run). Helling and Kieschnick both gave up solo shots, but there are worse things.

Hart's performance is very encouraging, he came up with two run scoring hits off Halsey. The first team defense also looked very good. Both Branyan and Helms played solid D which is a good sign (whoever ends up starting). Weeks' hitting and Krynzel's triple are also pretty good indicators (though the pitcher's they were facing were not very good by that point).

Pratt and Beltran cost the Brewers the game. I think Pratt has effectively pitched himself out of contention. Hopefully he's stunk enough that he'll clear waivers. Beltran was very disappointing too, he got lit up big time by the D'Back-Ups.

I'd be very surprised if either of these guys made the club.

What I like about this Spring training is that the Brewers are ahead early in almost every game. Several of our losses have resulted from rallys against pitchers who will not make our club. On the other hand, in most of our victories we went out to an early lead because our starters were able to hit their the oppositions best pitching.

Similar situation here, I'm overall encouraged by this game.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I was at the game today. A few thoughts:

It was a really sloppy game, but I take some solace in the fact that most of the sloppiness was turned in by backups or fringe players. Some of the 'prospects' looked good at the plate - Hardy, Weeks, Hart, Nelson all did well.

Nelson butchered a long fly ball, but it seemed like everyone was having trouble. The sun is brutal at Maryvale - especially in right field in the late innings - and there was a pretty good wind blowing out as well.

Mark Johnson should not be running the bases. Pinch run him every time he gets on base.

Krynzel has a really good arm for a centerfielder.

The third string catcher that was hit in the face rode past us on the golf cart and had a bump the size of a tennis ball on his cheek.

The Diamondbacks are in trouble this year.

DHonks, I took a stroll around the fifth inning but didn't see you. Will you be there tomorrow?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived