Brewer Fanatic

3/21/05 - Brewers (Capuano) @ Padres (May), 2:00 PM CT

MassBrew
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did weeks hit a triple? when i was in in arizona he hit a triple and absolutly flew around the bases. It was a sight to behold. I can't think of a guy who looked faster heading into second and rounding it. I am convinced he will hit double digit triples more than once. Blazing, blazing, blazing speed. Plus, he is a big dude. Not a little man at all. He is going to be fun to watch.

Obie over Glover

I haven't seen Glover in person, but it sounds like he will be able to pitch a game plan which Maddux puts together.

I have seen Obie and even though he has pitched well in ST I still think his best role will be in Middle/Long relief. I think that switch should be made sooner than later.

Turnbow blew it in the 9th - Padres win 4-3

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Turnbow still scares me from when I've seen him. Wild within the zone can get a reliever in trouble, cause guys go up there hacking off relievers.

Of course, I have had faith in Hendrickson, Obermueller, and Cappy, so my trackrecord on guys I feel weird about or have faith in is kind of sketchy. And Santos and Wise were guys I was worried about...sheesh

Wild within the zone can get a reliever in trouble,

-----

actually, thats completely false. Its good to be wild in the zone as its harder for a guy to zero in on you, whats bad is being too straight in the zone, re: your fastball, or even worse, not in the zone period.

I would bet Turnbows problem is lack of an offspeed pitch that he can throw for strikes, and probably getting behind in the count.

Wild within the zone can get a reliever in trouble,

actually, thats completely false.

Actually, that's NOT completely false. If you're not locating WITHIN the zone where you want to, and leaving balls out where they SHOULDN'T be, then you ARE in trouble.

And hardy, could you please please please quote things the other way(s)?

Quote:
And hardy, could you please please please quote things the other way(s)?

sorry, keep forgetting. Im still learning the do's and don'ts that some on this board demand.

regarding my point that always seems to be miscontrued for argument sake.

Its better to be wild in the zone, than not IN the zone, or straight in the zone. Movement in the zone is always better than straight, unless you are a maddux type with great control, which not many pitchers have.

MILWAUKEE (3) AT SAN DIEGO (4) MILWAUKEE AB R H BI SAN DIEGO AB R H BI B Clark cf 3 1 0 0 D Roberts cf 2 0 0 0 D Krynzel cf 1 0 0 0 T Donovan cf 0 0 0 0 R Weeks 2b 4 2 3 1 M Loretta 2b 2 0 1 1 L Overbay 1b 3 0 1 1 R Fick lf 1 0 0 0 P Fielder 1b 1 0 0 0 R Klesko lf 3 0 0 0 G Jenkins rf 3 0 2 1 J Dawley p 0 0 0 0 D Anderson rf 1 0 0 0 M Sweeney ph 1 0 0 0 D Miller c 3 0 1 0 R Hernandez c 3 0 1 0 W Helms c 4 0 0 0 M Ojeda rf 1 0 0 0 J Cirillo 3b 0 0 0 0 K Greene ss 2 1 0 0 C Hart lf 2 0 0 0 B Risinger 3b 1 0 1 0 C Magruder lf 0 0 0 0 F Guzman pr 0 1 0 0 J Hardy ss 4 0 1 0 E Young rf 3 0 1 0 B Hall ss 0 0 0 0 R Merrill ss 1 1 1 0 C Capuano p 2 0 0 0 S Burroughs 3b 3 0 2 1 J Spivey ph 1 0 0 0 M Hernandez c 1 0 1 1 B Kieschnick p 1 0 0 0 G Blum 1b 4 1 1 0 D May p 1 0 0 0 J Garcia 2b 3 0 2 1 TOTALS 33 3 8 3 TOTALS 32 4 11 4 MILWAUKEE 001 010 100 -- 3 SAN DIEGO 000 001 102 -- 4 LOB--MILWAUKEE 9, SAN DIEGO 6. 2B--G Jenkins, S Burroughs 2. 3B--R Weeks. SB--J Hardy 1 (1), R Weeks 1 (4), C Hart 1 (3), T Donovan 1 (1), F Guzman 1 (1). S--D Roberts. IP H R ER BB SO HR MILWAUKEE C Capuano 5 3 0 0 0 4 0 T Phelps 1 2 1 1 0 0 0 B Kieschnick 1 2 1 1 0 0 0 J Bennett 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 D Turnbow (L,0-1) 2-3 4 2 2 0 1 0 SAN DIEGO D May 4 3 1 1 4 2 0 D Reyes 2 3 1 1 2 2 0 J Dawley 1 2 1 1 0 3 0 T Hoffman 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 S Linebrink (W,1-0) 1 0 0 0 0 3 0 HBP--K Greene by B Kieschnick. PB--R Hernandez. SO--MIL: L Overbay 2, W Helms, C Capuano, P Fielder, D Anderson, R Weeks, D Krynzel, J Spivey. SDG: D May, R Klesko, M Sweeney, M Loretta, D Roberts, G Blum. BB--MIL: C Hart 2, D Miller, B Clark, L Overbay, R Weeks. SDG: T Donovan. T--2:53. A--5,985. 

~Bill

Its better to be wild in the zone, than not IN the zone, or straight in the zone. Movement in the zone is always better than straight, unless you are a maddux type with great control, which not many pitchers have.

Hardy, maybe I'm just interpreting this wrong, or you're saying it wrong, or something.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I don't understand "wild in the zone" as having much (if anything) to do with movement; rather it's all a matter of control. You know, in general, what kind of movement your pitches have. If you're hitting the wrong side of the plate, that shows a lack of command, not somehow some positive movement (as opposed to "straight" pitches). I would argue that it's actually better to be "effectively wild" (i.e. OUT of the zone), than be throwing strikes when you don't know what part of the plate it's going to end up in.

Thoughts?

Archived