Brewer Fanatic

3/24/05 - Seattle (Sele) @ Brewers (Hendrickson), 2:00 PM CT

squarepusher

"Krynzel with a fantastic catch into the wall. "

That's 2 days in a row where Dave makes a spectacular running catch by the wall....while Brady lets Podsednik get one by him yesterday, and an inside-the-parker today. Hmmm...

I'm just sayin'!

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, does this mean that Cirillo will be our 25th man?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is that Jeff's first extra base hit this spring?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Nice work with the pbyp. That was the most exciting comeback I've ever read.

Cirillo is a total heart and soul guy like the catcher in Major League. I am thinking he is #25 and he will lay down the suicide that clinches the pennant this year. Obie puts the nail in the coffin - say what you will, but I love how obie, branyan, Capuano step-up to secure the spots. We will see if they are still there in May, but its theirs for now.

You know there is a certain amount of luck needed in baseball. Unfortuntely it turns out to be the wrong kind of luck for the Brewers. Like the Brewers got "Lucky" when Trent Durrington had a decent spring last year and the Brewers decided to keep him as the 25th man. Now we have great luck this spring with Jeff "I can hit only if I close my eyes" Cirillo getting a HR near the end of spring training to cement his position with Nedly Yost as this years 25th man. If we have this much luck going our way I might have to revise down my estimates for wins this year.

SEATTLE (6) AT MILWAUKEE (8) SEATTLE AB R H BI MILWAUKEE AB R H BI I Suzuki rf 3 1 1 0 B Clark cf 2 0 0 0 J Strong rf 1 0 0 0 D Krynzel ph-cf 2 0 0 0 J Reed cf 3 1 2 2 J Spivey 2b 3 2 1 0 W Bloomquist cf 1 0 0 0 L Overbay 1b 2 0 2 0 A Beltre 3b 3 1 1 3 J Cirillo 1b 1 2 1 3 G Dobbs 3b 1 0 0 0 C Lee lf 3 0 0 0 R Sexson 1b 3 0 2 0 C Magruder lf 1 1 1 1 S Spiezio 1b 1 0 0 0 R Branyan 3b 2 0 0 1 B Boone 2b 4 1 2 0 T Durrington 3b 0 0 0 1 J Lopez 2b 0 0 0 0 C Hart rf 3 1 1 0 R Ibanez lf 4 0 1 1 D Miller c 2 0 1 1 D Wilson c 4 1 1 0 M Johnson c 1 0 0 0 P Reese ss 3 1 1 0 J Hardy ss 3 0 0 0 R Santiago ss 1 0 0 0 B Hall ss 0 1 0 0 A Sele p 2 0 0 0 B Hendrickson p 1 0 1 0 D Delucchi ph 1 0 0 0 P Fielder ph 1 0 0 0 R Christianson c 1 0 0 0 W Obermueller p 1 0 0 0 W Helms ph 1 1 1 1 TOTALS 36 6 11 6 TOTALS 29 8 9 8 SEATTLE 010 050 000 -- 6 MILWAUKEE 000 011 024 -- 8 E--J Spivey. DP--SEATTLE 2, MILWAUKEE 1. LOB--SEATTLE 4, MILWAUKEE 6. 2B--D Miller, W Helms, L Overbay, C Hart, P Reese, R Sexson. 3B--C Magruder. HR--J Cirillo 1 (1) (off N Bland), A Beltre 1 (1) (off B Hendrickson). SB--R Ibanez 1 (2). SF--R Branyan, T Durrington. IP H R ER BB SO HR SEATTLE A Sele 5 5 1 1 1 1 0 J Nelson 2 1 1 1 3 2 0 T Rall 1 1 2 2 1 1 0 N Bland (L,1-1) 1-3 2 4 4 2 0 0 MILWAUKEE B Hendrickson 5 10 6 5 1 2 0 W Obermueller 3 1 0 0 0 1 0 D Turnbow (W,1-1) 1 0 0 0 0 2 0 SO--SEA: B Boone, R Sexson, R Santiago, R Christianson, G Dobbs. MIL: M Johnson, C Lee, J Spivey, D Krynzel. BB--SEA: I Suzuki. MIL: J Spivey 2, D Miller, L Overbay, B Hall, J Cirillo, C Hart. T--2:32. A--6,215. 

~Bill

cirillo is a good hitter.

Is there an over under on when the first "Jeff Cirillo is a professional hitter." comment will come from Sutton.

xis,

I guess I would rather have Cirillo than Durrington or even the guy that I first heard called a "professional hitter"....Lenny Harris

I guess I would rather have Cirillo than Durrington or even the guy that I first heard called a "professional hitter"....Lenny Harris

For comparison (OPS+):

Lenny Harris (2002) = 105

Trent Durrington (2004) = 74

Jeff Cirillo (2002) = 74

Jeff Cirillo (2003) = 50

Jeff Cirillo (2004) = 48

I didn't like the "pimping" of Harris that went on when he was acquired, but in the one year he played in Milwaukee he was above average. I don't get the Hate for Lenny if you compare Durrington's numbers and project the abysmal numbers of Cirillo. What exactly is everyone's problem with a backup who's better than league average? I guess if the player is "grittier" then it's ok to be "crappier".

Edit: I'm not calling you out specifically tlpc4, many people have made off-handed comments against harris over the last few years, and many of the same people don't seem to have a problem with Durrington or Cirillo.

That is an interesting comparison. The main reason I have a gripe with Harris is he was suppose to be the clubhouse "cop" and 2002 was a horrible year of the clubhouse police blotter. Between fights between players and players appearing to not care, it was one of the most abysmal season I can remember.

I like Cirillo more because "I" have more respect for him then Lenny Harris or certainly Trent Durrington and I guess I made the mistake of assuming a bunch of 25 year old guys would feel the same way. Maybe not!

As a side note, if it is close, I think you bring in the fan favorite as long as you make him the 25th man on the roster instead of the starting SS. Particularly in the Brewers situation, Cirillo should never see any extended playing time because if they end up needing a long term replacement they will probably bring up Weeks or Fielder.

I didn't like the "pimping" of Harris that went on when he was acquired, but in the one year he played in Milwaukee he was above average. I don't get the Hate for Lenny if you compare Durrington's numbers and project the abysmal numbers of Cirillo. What exactly is everyone's problem with a backup who's better than league average? I guess if the player is "grittier" then it's ok to be "crappier". ...many people have made off-handed comments against harris over the last few years, and many of the same people don't seem to have a problem with Durrington or Cirillo.

It's about time somebody said it. Harris probably gets slammed as much as any former Brewer, save for maybe Hammonds, by posters on this board, despite the fact that he was pretty solid in his year in Milwaukee. Yes, the guy does get way too much credit for being a "great pinch hitter" and utility man, which only means he's among the best players who aren't good enough to start for anybody. At the same time, he does his job, and is a competent player, nothing more, nothing less, and it's not like the guy was signed to Jeffrey Hammonds' contract.

102 OPS+ at a corner spot with zero (and arguably negative) defensive value isn't "above average". Especially when he really stunk it up in the first half when the games still had some meaning, although not for long, before turning to evaluating players for the next year.

That said, yeah he wasn't as awful as he gets talked about. There have been worse players on just about every team in the history of the Brewers. Of course, very few of them were as "pimped" and as old as Lenny Harris. And I think the hype is what sets people off. People probably would lay off Helms some if Yost wasn't pimping him at every opportunity as well.

Although, it must be noted that since he left Milwaukee, Lenny Harris has been just as bad as his detractors have claimed. Particularly in his stint in Chicago.

Robert

"I don't get the Hate for Lenny if you compare Durrington's numbers and project the abysmal numbers of Cirillo. What exactly is everyone's problem with a backup who's better than league average? "

Dave:

Although, believe me, I had (have) negative inclinations toward The Weapon when he was here, I agree that a .355 OBP, a .305 average and some nice versatility should not have warranted the huge wave of criticism he got here.

But I will say that I cringed whenever he'd bat 3rd (!), and was touted as a stud, because, as we all know, the sure way to fix a last place team is by adding a pinch hitter (and then starting him!).. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

More than anything, though, around here, he was a pariah because he was old, and he didn't make the league minimum.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

102 OPS+ at a corner spot with zero (and arguably negative) defensive value isn't "above average".

Granted I shouldn't have used the "above average" adjective, but the gist (jist?) of my argument was a relative analysis of the different 25th men and why there seems to be a "double" standard. I still maintain that there is a weird "bias" against LH.

But I will say that I cringed whenever he'd bat 3rd (!), and was touted as a stud, because, as we all know, the sure way to fix a last place team is by adding a pinch hitter (and then starting him!).

I don't want to give the impression that in any way I wanted, liked, or enjoyed having "the Weapon" (ok I did enjoy having him as a target) around. I wasn't happy that we had Lenny Harris, and I dished out my (yours, and probably 10 others peoples) share of crap at him and Jervy Lopester, but in the end he did perform well for that 1 season he was with the Brewers. As Robert pointed out that may have been an abberation, but I think too many people are sticking with the perception that Harris was crap, TD is OK, and Cirillo will regain the fountain of above-average-youth (all data to the contrary). Subjectivism vs. Reality? Pessimism vs. Optimism? I think it's a little bit of both with a tad bit of what MSC was alluding to and something I'm sensing might be a player in all of this (even if it's only at a subconcious level).

Archived