Brewer Fanatic

04/08/05 - Brewers (Capuano) @ Cubs (Wood), 1:20 PM CT

squarepusher

Bill--

I agree with you, but you have to deal with what you have, or something like that. And part of that is that Ned has to rid himself of this hard-on he has for lefty vs. righty.

We needed Magruder to hit for the pitcher as much as we needed a hole in the head. When you only have one true outfielder on the bench, it doesn't make any sense to pinch-hit him in a spot where you know he can't be used in the field. It limits what you can do in situations like that.

Given Ned's history, there's no way in Comiskey Park that he wanted Jenkins to hit in that spot. But by putting Magruder in a one-and-done spot, he limited his options to basically none. And it left Dusty laughing in the other dugout, because he probably knew Jenkins would be allowed to hit...er...strike out against Remlinger.

I'm not a huge fan of second-guessing managers in the third game of the season, but Ned has to be smarter about managing his bench if it's going to remain this severely limited.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until Yost shows he is willing to lift Jenkins against left handers, expect to see every team have a lefty ready to face Jenkins. Dusty was so confident in Yost leaving Jenkins in there he didn't have a righty in the pen warming up.

EDIT: Bruce--Magruder was still live. He lead off the inning. Yost could have put anyone in for Jenkins and then replace him with the pitcher next.

When Jenkins has been on in the past, he's hit lefties well. But not when he's trying to pull things onto the road.

And in fairness, I'd take Jenkins batting there over Magruder. Chris can drive them occasionally, but we'd need a defensive replacement for him.

It also looks like Remlinger and Rusch are first in line to pitch for the Cubs, so the Brewers can trot out their right-handed bench players.

I'll still contend that using Magruder in that situation when you have 3 infielders on the bench that all hit righties just as well as Magruder was silly and a waste of bench flexibility. Bad managing by Yost there.

Robert

We all know Jenks is going to strike out a lot and we all know he will go through long cold streaks. Of course, nobody will eat their words when he gets hot and carries the team for a month at a time.

Is it frustrating when he K's 4 times in one game? Of course. But its gonna happen, so deal with it.

And the poster who wants Overbay in the outfield.... Give me a break.

Quote:
Bruce--Magruder was still live. He lead off the inning. Yost could have put anyone in for Jenkins and then replace him with the pitcher next.

I thought of that after I finished ranting, and I didn't feel like going back and changing it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

He could have switched things around, but it might have gotten a bit messy had the pinch-hitter gotten a hit. The further the inning ends up going, the less attractive that a double switch would have looked.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just an idiot. But I think Ned completely mishandled that.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

We all know Jenks is going to strike out a lot and we all know he will go through long cold streaks. Of course, nobody will eat their words when he gets hot and carries the team for a month at a time.

It's not so much the outcome as it is the approach, to use Bill and Daron's favorite word. When Jenkins swings at everything, including but not limited to sliders that almost hit him, fastballs that fly over his head, and curveballs that bounce in front of the plate, he is just being stubborn, selfish, or stupid. It's one thing to strikeout on good pitches. It's quite another to strikeout continuously when the opposing pitcher throws you nothing but junk.

I don't understand why any pitcher ever throws Jenkins a strike, to be honest. I like the guy, too, and it's great when he's hot and hitting homers. But he could be so much better.

~Bill

It sure seems like the Brewers have gone away from working pitchers and getting quality ABs. The Brew hitters IMO have just looked bad against this Cubs bullpen. Ex. Damian's AB!!http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Quote:
the good news fellas is that this inning we have Miller, Branyan, and Hardy, meaning we have a chance for a shot from the Muscle, and the top of the order coming up for another chance. Also, we're only down one. As frustrating as this is, it's been a good game thus far

Look, any more thoughtful, fair, big-picture, optimistic remarks like that and I will move to have you ejected from the premise. Don't you see we are whining here?

Archived