Brewer Fanatic

04/09/05 - Brewers (Sheets) @ Cubs (Zambrano), 1:20 PM CT

squarepusher
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a pretty nice hit, actually. Not exactly a powerful swing, but I'm not sure if it was any different than his normal hack.

Big Ben doesn't look bad but the Cubs are getting to him pretty well. Still doesn't have his best curve, though.

EDIT: Mediocre is the right word, I think, Peavey. He's just not the same without command of the curve. Still good, but not his usual dominant self.

~Bill

The Brewers should just wait for a fastball in their happy zone. That's all Carlos is throwing, and most of his pitches are balls. You'll either walk or get a good hack at a heater. What's up with all this chasing balls out of the zone?

~Bill

If Zambrano has an elbow injury, it would manifest itself in a loss of command, an inability to throw pain-free breaking pitches, and/or an alteration of his mechanics. I'm seeing all three of those things to one degree or another. He's also acting much differently than he usually does... no staring, no stalking around the mound, and no bouncing around like a meth fiend at a trampoline party. He is still showing his usual velocity, which would seem to indicate that the injury isn't that severe, but pitchers have been able to pitch through serious elbow injuries in the past (the best example off the top of my head is Scott Williamson, who pitched last season with a torn ulnar collateral ligament and several bone chips in his throwing elbow - his doctor commented after the surgery that his elbow looked like a grenade went off inside it).

If I had to guess, I would think Zambrano has "tweaked" either his UCL or the flexor tendon in his forearm/elbow. That could mean either a strain (a slight tear) or a full-on tear, although I doubt he'd be able to pitch through that (not unheard of, but unlikely). He could have torn some scar tissue, too, but I don't think Zambrano has had arm surgery recently (if ever).

I'm not a doctor, obviously, but I can't think of anything else that he could have done on that pitch in the first. I hope they give him an MRI after the game and keep a close eye on him... they've already made a ridiculously poor decision, so best not to compound it even further just because his velocity remains normal.

~Bill

Wow, this really sucks. The outside corner is moving each inning. This ump has no consistency. Sheet curveball had a lot of the strikezone. Carlo's pitch was in the other batter's box. And the belt is not a strike today.

Zambrano is definitely looking more like himself now. His arm motion is still a little off (he isn't flexing his elbow as much as usual and his arc is a little longer) and he's not throwing breaking balls, but he's hopping around again and chomping on his gum while talking to himself.

Crazy, but normal.

Every time he throws a slider, he ends up way over on the first base side of the mound, though. He's not 100%.

~Bill

This is really a remarkable performance. He's basically throwing one pitch and that's all, and he's dominating the Brewers. Mariano Rivera does that (except against the Red Sox http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ), but he's one of very few.

Zambrano is a special talent. All the more reason not to take chances with his health.

~Bill

Archived