Brewer Fanatic

04/10/05 - Brewers (Santos) @ Cubs (Maddux), 1:20 PM CT

squarepusher
the only second-guessing I have is because I said it earlier. Why when your started goes 5, do you go to a short-term option? Why not Obermueller, De La Rosa, or Wise to get you 2-3 innings? I just don't get why Maddux did that

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you have put Neifi Perez in as a pinch-hitter instead of the other available options?

I probably would have gone with Kelton to have the chance to hit the salami. However, he also might have been more likely to strikeout. Down a few runs, they needed a run. A DP or K (I would assume more likely with the slugger) would have killed the rally). Still, that is managing with the worst possible outcome. Batting Kelton looks at the best possible outcome.

In the end, they tied the game, so whatever happened worked.

I probably would have gone with Kelton to have the chance to hit the salami.

Kelton isn't on the team. The available options were Blanco, Neifi, Macias, and Dubois. Dubois is clearly the best hitter of that fearsome foursome.

Down a few runs, they needed a run.

When you need a run and Neifi Perez is the answer, you're asking the wrong question.

In the end, they tied the game, so whatever happened worked.

Obviously, but it was still a poor decision unless Dusty felt that he needed to "save" Dubois for later in the game. I don't buy that, though, 'cause they probably won't get a scoring opportunity as silky sweet as that one was.

~Bill

For as bad as our bench is, its pretty hard to argue that the Cubs' isn't worse....

It's close. They've got the advantage, I think, as sad as that is, just because of the Hairston/Walker and Dubois/Hollandsworth platoons. No matter who starts, they have two pretty good hitters available every game. We don't really have any, unless Cirillo is for real.

~Bill

wow. I don't agree with running there, and I'm a huge advocate of steals. Although it appeared Brady's slide got his toe on the bag at the same moment he was tagged on the thigh. He was safe, but no ump will ever make that call

This "aggressive baserunning" thing has got to stop. Brady Clark was a terrible base stealer last year and it seems likely that at his age he's going to continue to be a terrible base stealer. Overbay and Lee are really, really good hitters... just stay put and let them drive you in. I thought we got Lee from the White Sox because they were the ones that wanted to play smallball, not the other way around.

:?

~Bill

What the h*** was that steal call all about! and why didnt overbay swing! that was a TERRIBLE CALL!!

Man, that was weird. Overbay took one right down the middle without swinging. I'm thinking that was a botched hit and run.

Yeah, he was safe.

Could have been a botched hit and run, but even that is a silly call with Lyle up. Just let the dude hit.

WOW... great play by Hall. I guess I can rescind New Rule #1. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

~Bill

Heading into today Clark is 35 SB, 14 CS for his career, thats not really bad at all. That looked really ugly though, I have to agree that it seems like a botched hit and run.

Yeah, but he was very good in 2003 and was terrible last season. The trend line seems to indicate that he's lost a step or four.

~Bill

Could have been a botched hit and run, but even that is a silly call with Lyle up. Just let the dude hit.

Yeah, I agree that in that situation its not a great move. At 3-1, let him either work the walk or rip a pitch he likes.

Archived