Brewer Fanatic

04/10/05 - Brewers (Santos) @ Cubs (Maddux), 1:20 PM CT

squarepusher
Quote:
This game came down to 2 lucky high choppers, and some poor clutch hitting, there are 157 more games to go...

Not sure what game you were watching because this game was not that simple to analyze. "Some poor clutch hitting" doesn't even begin to describe it. Poor managing by Ned late in the game. Missed chance after missed chance. If we get just 3 hits with RISP we score about 10 runs today.

People aren't trying to go overboard but today's game was about as bad as blowing a five-run lead in the ninth. How many innings did we have a serious chance to score? 8? 9? And we managed 5 runs....3 via the long ball.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Phew, it will be nice to see some quality pitching in Doug Davis tomorrow after this ugly performance.

How can you possibly tag the pitching staff for that loss? 0-12 with RISP did us in. It was a shamefull offensive performence. Jenkins sucked. Clark sucked. It was an offensive abomination DESPITE the fact that we got 16 hits.

Just totally poor execution but Santos pitched fine, De la rosa was lights out and Turnbow was impresive. Phelps gave up some key hits but this offense has to come up bigger than that. Ugly.

This isn't Brady Clarks fault. I have a few questions though.

1. Why was Yost stealing Spivey and Clark with less than 2 outs with our 3-4-5 coming up?? If there are 2 outs, I can see it because then a hit scores a run. But we traded Pods so we have some pop in the middle of the lineup, not a couple of slap hitters who can't hit any extra base hits. Besides, neither Clark or Spivey are above average base stealers. Bad move, I hope it isn't a season long pattern

2. Why take out Santos after 5? We don't have the bullpen to hold a lead for 4 innings...or at least I don't think we do. Why not bunt Santos there and let him come out for the 6th, his Pitch Count was bout 85. Instead, we traded Santos for a Wes Helms inning ending Double PLay and Tommy "the arsonist" Phelps?

3. Why carry only 4 OF? After we used Magruder for PH duty, Yost could not PH for Jenkins even if he wanted to because, who else are you putting in RF, Hall? Durro? We might need someone like Krynzel to play all OF spots and steal a base.

4. Where the hell was Obermueller? Turnbow did alright but I would have gone with Wes. Is Phelps a situational guy? Why was he in for so damn long? I might have used Obie in the 6th and 7th as well.

5. Batting average with RISP? Non existent, welcome to the second half of 2004. puke.

Jenkins is absoulty horrible he is totally a bust at the plate .

Same promblems 0-11 win men in scoring positions is a JOKE.

The Pen Pitched ok Today except For Letting the Cubs Score 3 in the 6th

after a promising start they let 2 games get away

This team under Yost has no edge. Players may love playing for him, but smiles and giggles don't drive runs in in clutch situations. The Cubs are a talented team with no edge except for Zambrano and almost damn near impossible to have less edge than. Yet somehow we manage to have even less of an edge than the Cubs, a team full of whiners and excuse makers. Hell the Pirates have less to work with but at least have an edge to them, Some of that has to be due to McClendon. Carlos Lee come here with an edge to him. Its time for Yost to direct these guys to follow Lee or else his talent will be squandered here.

Mr. "It's Time for Results" and "I'm Going to Manage with My Head not My Heart" better live up to his own words.

SOME MORE STUFF ION JENKINS ONLY TIME HE EVER HITS IT TO OPPOSITE FIELD ITS A JAM SHOT OR CUE OFF END BAT NOT LIKE HES TRY ING TO HIT IT OPPO FIELD PULLS EVERY THING KS 1?3 AT BATS OR HITS PISS POOR GROUNDBZ TO RIGHT FIELD THEN SHOWS FAKE ANGER AT THE END OF K'ING LIKE HE HASNT DONE IT BEFORE HE SHOULD BE USED TO IT

What?

his Pitch Count was bout 85.

93, actually. I don't have a problem with the move at all. His spot was up in the inning and he was close to 100 with the lead.

Is Phelps a situational guy? Why was he in for so damn long?

He was in to face the two lefties with Lee in between. He allowed all three to reach, hence the problem.

The bench is really a problem right now. No legitimate left-handed hitters, only one outfielder, and no "good" hitters unless Russell is on the bench.

We really miss having Ginter and Clark/Grieve. Melvin needs to remedy this situation ASAP. I hope that doesn't mean we have to bring up Krynzel, but the status quo is pretty much intolerable.

Tough loss but some outstanding pitching. JDLR = wow.

~Bill

Scoop you ask:

-------------------------

this begs the question...

IF there is no such thing as "clutch"....

can there exist "anti clutch"??

---------------------------

Did you not catch my eloquent proof BOTH the non existance of cluth and the FOR SURE existence of ANTI - CLUTCH.

It has been proved. No need to hypothesis anymore. I am just waiting for Bill or Vroomos to steal my work and sell it as pay-per-view on some Mathematarian site.

and if jenkins or someone would of drove in a run no one would be talking about the bench.... i dont see it... cirillo hasnt been hitting like crazy off the bench but he makes contact and i am confident that we will get some hits out of him.... magruder hit that huge single, what more do you want the bench to do? i do think that we need to drop phelps back to the minors and bring another outfielder up though... especially the way lee played today.

and if jenkins or someone would of drove in a run no one would be talking about the bench

The bench wasn't the reason we lost today. I just think that today's game again highlighted the problems with our current bench composition. Only one left-handed hitter, and Magruder is not very good from that side of the dish, two right-handed hitting third-basemen, a right-handed hitting infielder, and a right-handed hitting catcher. And most importantly, just no real good hitters (maybe Cirillo, and maybe Helms against left-handers). We don't have a Ginter or a Clark or a Grieve or a Vander Wal, and that's problematic. And having only one outfielder really limits Yost's strategic flexibility.

~Bill

Blaming Brady Clark for todays loss is like Blaming Brett Favre for the loss to the Eagles in the playoffs. In both cases it never should have come to that. It was a tough catch, with the wind blowing in from right center and the ball was naturally tailing away anyhow. Clark is not the goat.

Jenkins on the other hand I will not stand up for.

I'll give the Least Valuable Player awards to two players:

Jenkins - 1-5, 4 LOB.

Phelps - for his infinite ERA today

Yeah, Clark should have had it.... and even though it made sense for Jenks to bunt, I can't get too mad considering Geoff hasn't had a SH since 1999.... but Jenks was awful, and Phelps showed why he almost didn't make the 25-man roster.

Although the language wasn't appropriate, I agree with everything NickNoogybower said. Today was a microchasm of the last 12 seasons.

Words can't describe the way I feel right now....I know it is only game 5 of a 162 game season, but today's game takes a whole lot of excitement out of tomorrow's home opener.....how hype would it be tomorrow if we were 4-1 going against the Pirates?? It would have the feeling of a playoff game!! But, after a sorry performance today, tomorrow will probably be just another formality.

Jenkins....you lost all your respect from me with this weekends performance. If it weren't for Overbay/Spivey on Friday, you would have been the goat twice this weekend. You are supposed to be the leader of this team! You are supposed to be the club veteran! The young guys look up to you http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/nerd.gif ..throw down the bunt..its the little things that make the difference! I don't know if it was Ned or Geoff's choice not to bunt there, but a little league coach knows what move has to be made there. Right now, if we traded Jenkins for a AA player right now I would be happy. Move Lyle to RF, and bring up Prince. Putting 1/5 of our payroll in Jenkins just isn't worth it.

Also, us fans can't be "satisfied" with 3-2...its nice, but darn it we should be 4-1 right now, going into a series with the Pirates. If we keep this mindset, we will continualy "allow" these things to happen without any repercussions! A win today, and we are considered a HUGE surprise for the 1st week. Instead, we beat the lowly Pirates and stole one from the Cubs.

A lot of positives came out of this 1st road stand, but today's game reminded me too much of 2004, and we are better than that! We should be winning games like today....http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

I'll be at the game tomorrow, and hopefully see a better performance..GO BREWERS!

Why are we letting Ned Yost off the hook? Granted Jenks is our highest paid player, but when he comes to the plate in that situation, Ned Yost should have pinch hit. We had Moeller and JJ Hardy on the Bench, as well as Wes Obermuller. All are right handed bats, and other than Moeller, all are skilled at laying down bunts.

Ned Yost should have been the man of the clubhouse and sat Jenks down, played baseball the way it is supposed to be played, and moved the runners up 90 feet with the Veteran - Damian Miller - coming up to take care of the rest.

PLay to win or dont play.

[ Ned Yost should have been the man of the clubhouse and sat Jenks down, played baseball the way it is supposed to be played, and moved the runners up 90 feet with the Veteran - Damian Miller - coming up to take care of the rest. ]

I don't necessarily disagree with moving the runners over with a bunt, but it's interesting to note Miller left more men on base than Jenks did today. Which is odd, given the fact that he had a multi-hit game.

Archived