Brewer Fanatic

04/12/05 - Pirates (Redman) @ Brewers (Glover), 6:35 PM CT

squarepusher
This game has become pretty pathetic. You have two hitters coming into the game hitting below .200 just killing the Brewers. Can't get any clutch hits and keep just missing hitting a few out and running themselves out of innings. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, we were outhit 10-6 and outplayed defensively (made an error; Pirates with several great plays at the fence). would have been nice to steal this one, especially after the nice outing from Glover. Would really be nice if Lee would start hitting a few doubles and homers, and if Jenkins would continue hitting the ball better (some positive signs the last two games)

Quote:
well, we were outhit 10-6 and outplayed defensively (made an error; Pirates with several great plays at the fence). would have been nice to steal this one, especially after the nice outing from Glover. Would really be nice if Lee would start hitting a few doubles and homers, and if Jenkins would continue hitting the ball better (some positive signs the last two games)

I agree, in his last 3 ABs of this evening, he had a single, a towering drive to the track that nearly made it out of here, and a hotshot line drive but in the range of the left fielder. The swing looks to be there now, all that we need is the placement.

That was a pathetic bunt attempt by Spivey. Not only was it right back to the pitcher, but it was in the air too. I think the pitcher could have caught it had he been a good fielder.

Can someone explain to me how bunting is aggressive? To me aggressive is trying to get an extra base hit. I don't think Junior Spivey thinks he is being aggressive when he is bunting. It's one thing to bunt for a base hit, it's another thing to do a sacrifice bunt, which that clearly was.

Does Ned still think he had Craig Counsel hitting in the 2 hole?

Someone rush a copy of Moneyball to Ned quick.

Frankly, after these first few games, I think I would have more confidence in Jim Powel being our manager than Ned. It worked in Houston.

This could be the second loss to hang on Ned. Stop stealing and bunting at the top of the order. We must stop making outs on the bases. I'm very confused about the bullpen roles. Does Ob have one? Not that it mattered but we should have saved Branyan for 9th inning...knowing that bringing him on prior to that would also bring on a LHP. Not going to pull Mesa. Lee is trying too hard...take some pitches big fella. I predict Lee and Hardy will have a massive collision before the year is out...and Hardy will come out on the short end.

It's one thing to bunt for a base hit, it's another thing to do a sacrifice bunt, which that clearly was.

At the time it was 3-2. The goal was to get the runner to scoring position so a single from Overbay or Lee would tie the game. Then you worry about the winning run. Apparently they didn't want Clark to try to steal second, so they were willing to give up an out to get that runner to scoring position. The problem occured when Spivey botched it. That got Clark out, but they still needed to get the runner to scoring position. So Spivey then had to attone for his mistake by stealing the bag.

All in all, this seemed to kill all momentum, but I would assume that's the logic behind it.

Yeah, but it was bad logic. Even if the bunt would have been successful, and Overbay or Lee would have gotten the run in, what happened the next inning? The Pirates scored and the Brewers would still have needed a run to win.

That's the problem with playing for one run. At best you only get one run and sometimes you don't even get the one. Even worse, you generally need more than one run to win.

Also, suppose the sac bunt was successful. The Pirates brought in their lefty to get out Overbay. Then they walk Lee and get the lefty-lefty matchup they want with Jenkins. So our big right handed hitter keeps the bat on the shoulder while the pirates get to face Jenkins who hits .230 against lefties.

Face it,. it's bad strategy to sac bunt at the top of the order. The sooner Ned forgets this strategy the better.

Not a bad outing at all by G-Love. Although, I think it's been almost 3 years since he's thrown over a 100 pitches in a big league game. So if his arm is still attached when he wakes up on Wednesday that's a good sign!

I'm starting to think Neddly Yost is becoming so aggressive that he's predictable. And that's never a good thing.

Curses to Craig "I Used to be Thor" Wilson for robbing JJ "Heartthrob" Hardy's 1st big league Homer. Curses Thor! Hopefully good things happen tommorow afternoon against Josh "Cy Young vs. Milwaukee" Fogg.

Well, if someone had told me at the end of the first that G-love was "only" going to give up 3 runs in 6 innings, I would have been surprised. I guess my first experience watching him could have been worse. And I hope that saying this doesn't doom the next game we go to (Monday, which should again feature Glover).

Frankly, I thought the Pirates' play tonight reflected some rebound effect of that team meeting they had last night. So maybe it'll be temporary. Less than 24 hours would be nice.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

DON'T STEAL FREAKING BASES WITH THE HEART OF THE ORDER UP.

I have a question about that. In my opinion it's not a bad thing to have the threat of a stolen base by Clark/Spivey with the 3-5 guys coming up. Stolen base threats often times are countered by a pitcher going to the fastball instead of a breaking ball or off speed pitch. Fastballs are usually a power hitter's dream. Fastballs that miss their location often make for fine souvenirs. Therefore, aggression on the basepaths is good. Aggressive baserunners distract pitchers. Aggressive baserunning wins ballgames.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

What an absolute crappy game to drive 3 hours to see. Yost's notion that "I have a better team so I can be more aggressive" is just embarassing. He's becoming Royster part 2. Use your head and play the numbers!!!

Sooooo many almost HR's.

opinion it's not a bad thing to have the threat of a stolen base by Clark/Spivey with the 3-5 guys coming up.

to add to your comment, baserunners on the move can often lead to mistake pitches....hanging breaking balls and fat fastballs.

I think a lot of the caught stealings have been botched hit-and-runs. Anyone who was at the spring training games saw the Crew hit-and-run 2-4 times each game, usually effectively.

Well, I suppose 6 IP, 3 ER is close to the 7 IP 2 ER I predicted, but i'm walking away disappointed. He showed flashes of promise tonight with the slider.... If he could just work on location a little bit more, he'd be a really good #5 or a decent #4.

Quote:
Yost's notion that "I have a better team so I can be more aggressive" is just embarassing. He's becoming Royster part 2. Use your head and play the numbers!!!

It's idiots like this poster that make me not want to read the board anymore. Every time something goes wrong it's Ned's fault. Well, guess what? Sometimes players have to execute. It's not Ned's fault that Spivey can't get down a bunt. It's not Ned's fault that Brady Clark popped up to first base with runners at the corners and 1 out the other day. It's not Ned's fault that when Spivey tried to steal 2nd he had about a 2 step lead and a piss-poor jump. Just listening to all you guys spew about what a poor job Ned Yost does makes me vomit in my mouth. That's what is embarassing. It has nothing to do with trying to use your #2 hitter to bunt your leadoff hitter into scoring position for your #3 and #4 hitter. Maybe your numbers are messed up, but my numbers tell me to try to steal 2nd base with Spivey so that my #3 and #4 hitters just need a single to tie the frickin' game. Apparently my numbers and Ned's numbers are the same and your numbers are the ones that are messed up.

rluzinski

Sorry about the previous post. I didn't even take the time to see who posted it, but looking back I generally agree with most everything you say. I am just frustrated by all the negativity towards Yost, when it's been mostly about execution in my opinion this year.

Can't get mad at a guy who has an Ashlee Simpson picture in his posts!!!!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/roll.gif

If Turnbow and Phelps keep getting lit up, and Capellan or Hendrickson do well, the Crew could always slide Glover to the bullpen.

I think the Crew just got unlucky. Some hit-and-run plays went bad, at least three extra-base hits taken away and turned into outs...

These kinda games happen over a 162-game season.

Archived