Brewer Fanatic

04/18/05 - Dodgers (Perez) @ Brewers (Capuano), 6:35 PM CT

squarepusher

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, looks like we are 11 games into the season and the super reserver Of Chris Magruder may be making is 2nd start and his third game in a row in RF as we are facing a lefty, Jenkins has been stinking, and Jenkins is sick.

Good thing upgrading the bench isn't that important because those guys "never" play.

How's this for getting of the offensive Schnide?

Clark

Spivey

Overbay

Lee

Miller

Cirillo

Magruder

Hardy

Capuano

Ah yes, a 6-9 that would strike fear into any little league pitching staff.

Well, he's only faced him 11 times. Also, these two pitchers faced off in an excellent game at Miller Park last year, where Trent Durrington hit a HR to tie the game, and Keith Ginter won the game win a bunt in extra innings.

I want Overbay to get a day off today. Odalis Perez simply has owned him

Done, and done. new revised lineup for todays game...

Clark - CF

Spivey - 2b

Lee - LF

Miller - C

Helms - 1b

Cirillo - 3b

Magruder - rf

Hardy -ss

Capuano - p

Go get 'em boys.

Odalis Perez owns a lot of Brewer hitters. If Carlos Lee doesn't get in gear, I think it's going to be a long night. Is it possible that Cirillo starts at 3B, with Helms starting at 1B? I hate Helms, but with how Perez has dominated Brewer lefties over his career, I don't want to see Jenks, Branyan and Overbay in the lineup. We could see an all-righty lineup out there tonight (sans Capuano):

1. Clark - CF

2. Spivey - 2B

3. Cirillo - 3B

4. Lee - LF

5. Miller - C

6. Helms - 1B

7. Magruder - RF

8. Hardy - SS

9. Capuano - P

If that line-up doesn't strike fear into the hearts of opposing teams, I don't know what does.

edit: lol @ RyDogg...we had the same idea. The all-righty line-up. I don't see Miller hitting clean-up, though.

I thought when we had an "everyday" lineup that it would be the lineup we used everyday. Not this Magruder/Hall/Cirillo/ Moeller crap. It seems like everyday one of those scrubs finds his way into the starting lineup. It annoys me to no end when we play all those crappy reserves.

...and I was joking about the all RH lineup. If Ned throws those guys out there tonight I pretty much won't be watching/listeing. If Helms/Cirillo/Magruder give us a better chance of winning than Overbay/ Jenkins/ Branyan vs. LH pitching then we are in for one very very long season.

This is actually one of the situations when Magruder is valuable... he's a pretty good right-handed hitter and he can take over in one of the three outfield positions without killing the lineup.

He's been pretty terrible against right-handers, though, so his value is limited.

Helms has hit well against left-handers, too, so he contributes something.

The rest of the bench is entirely unimpressive even against left-handers. The big problem is that most pitchers throw with their right hand and against them, we're in a gunfight and we're out of bullets.

~Bill

I'm hoping the ghosts at the Pfister Hotel kept the Dodgers up late last night, especially Odalis. Hopefully, they'll come to the ballyard a little sluggish tonight. Check out this little blurb I found in the Dodger media notes yesterday.

"The Dodgers are returning to the Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee tonight and tomorrow, which is haunted by ghosts, according to some who have stayed there. During a trip to the Pfister in 2001, Adrian Beltre heard knocking noises on his door, while the television and air conditioning repeatedly turned on and off. He also claims to have heard pounding noises from the other side of his headboard like a man hitting his open hand against the wood."

We need Capuano to get his pitch count under control. In his first 2 starts, he's been getting his pitch count too high too early. Maybe Mike Maddux should rub some sun tan oil on the guy and try to mentally fool him into thinking he's back in Spring Training pitching in Arizona.

I stand by my statement that if Chris Magruder and Wes Helms are our best chances vs. LH pitchers that this team is going to be in deep trouble.

Don't get me wrong... I agree with you, at least to some degree. I just think that today's game is one of the few situations in which our bench isn't completely useless insofar as Magruder and Helms are reasonably productive against southpaws.

The fact that we have zero good hitters against right-handers and no true "lefty mashers" (Helms could be, but I'm not holding my breath anymore) is very problematic. And that's not even mentioning the lack of versatility and the one bench outfielder.

Bench, thy name is bad.

~Bill

Maybe Mike Maddux should rub some sun tan oil on the guy and try to mentally fool him into thinking he's back in Spring Training pitching in Arizona.

He just misses his hot tub.

And that Beltre story is pretty funny... thanks for sharing that, SBS!

~Bill

Hopefully we can get another solid effort out Campy.

But unless the Hitters like Lee and Jenks and Hardy get Started we can be in for a long losing streak.

WE can"t afford to have a ss Hitting 100 when the meat of the lineup are struggling.

<<>>

They used to say the same thing about Brady Clark...some of the truly uninformed still do. Role players need to be set up for success.

John Lowenstein and Gary Roenicke formed a good platoon for the Orioles for years, after being written off by many as being nothing but filler.

If you're going to have a switch-hitting OF on the roster who hits LH's pretty well, and you don't play him versus a LHP when your LH hitting OF who doesn't hit LHP well is getting over the flu...well, there's no reason to have him on the roster.

Perez is starting tonight unless something happened to him. There's nothing on Google News, so I think rumors of his demise were greatly exaggerated.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Bill

Hard to believe a career underachiever (until LY) is a blessed idiot.

SBS and Al,

the Dodgers aren't the only teams claiming it is haunted. When the Yankees come to town, the supposedly will be the only team in MLB not to stay there, as they've had many unexplained experiences there. Stuff from the bathtubs turning themselves on, filling and overflowing during the night. I heard one manager woke up and found a previous Yankee manager in his room talking with him...only the manager had died years before.

So it's not just the Dodges who claim this, as many teams have claimed it.

I feel like I constantly repeat myself, but one more time:

Chris Magruder's splits:

RHB .293 .319 .504 .823

LHB .196 .269 .313 .582

Now this over less than 400 ABs, but if Magruder has any value its against left handers. Which is nice because Jenkins has no value against left handers. What I want to know is why no one has ever stopped Magruder from switch hitting since there is no evidence he can do it. Right now I hope Magruder fills in until a time when Cruz shows he is hitting in Huntsville and is moved to platoon with Jenkins in Milwaukee causing Magruder to become the 5th OFer or released.

After watching Jenkins struggle vs. LHP the past 2 seasons, plus his flu-bug, I can live with Magruder getting the start today, but please Ned, not Cirillo AND Helms as well. That would be a reason for Brewerfan.net nation to start drinking the kool-aid.

Archived