Brewer Fanatic

4/19/05 - Dodgers(Cy Dessens) vs. Brewers(Glover) 12:05 CT

RyDogg66

I'd also like to point out that being only 13 games into the season, trends have not yet even been severely established. Our hitters have less than 100 AB's each, and we all know that batting avg' will take drastic swings under 100 ab's.

People calling for Yost's head need to realize that in the 13 games we've seen, he's tried more aggression on the basepaths, and kept pretty much the same lineups, etc. Why not give the guy a chance to tweak things a little? I honestly believe that Ned Yost is a better baseball manager than anyone here (hence you being here and he being in the dugout)

It's been pointed out that we started against the Pirates, who are weaker than us. We as fans have the general expectation of beating Pittsburgh in the standings, and being behing teams like the Cubs, Cards, and Houston. Guess what? We lost to the Cards and the Cubs. This was to be expected. The Dodgers are a favorite to win the NL West, and we still play them 4 games.

I'm quite sure that we'll take a series from the Cards and the Cubs to even things up a bit, but truth be told those two teams are better than us.

If you looked at the schedule going into April, you'd have had to realize it would be tough sledding. April has been after all, filled with a division opponent who seems to have owned us lately (Pitt), another division opponent who just missed the playoffs, Los Angeles who had a great 2004, and only leads the NL in runs scored and faced the bottom of our rotation, and oh yeah, that other division rival team that won a trillion games last year and went to the World Series.

April holds a nightmare road trip of Houston, San Francisco, and St.Louis before we come home to the Reds.

May on the other hand has us home against the Cubs and who knows if Wood or Prior will even be active much less pitching, a Met team that will collapse at any minute, and the Phillies. Then we face Pitt on the road, go into Washington (who will be a fallen star) and then a Minnesota team who we always play tough. Then we get well at home against a Colorado team that may not win 60 games this year.

All in all, I'm not ready to write this one off. Another thing I can't quite figure out- did anyone here think that we were playoff bound? If you thought we were a division contender, than by all means start freaking out. Otherwise, you've got time untill things start getting hairy.

If you thought that playoffs was too high an expectation, and adjusted your thoughts to .500 ball, look at May's schedule and tell me they won't make a bit of a run.

If you were more realistic in your projections like myself and several others, you'd have said something like 72-78 wins and we're no where near off the pace for that. I personally thought that we'd get 74-78 wins and I'm sticking to it.

That is all.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...He came to the batter's box, and Ned decided to take the bat out of his hands....

Perhaps Miller was bunting on his own. If Ned was going to bunt him I don't see him calling it off after one pitch. That to me seems more like a guy up there bunting on his own accord.

Quote:
Perhaps Miller was bunting on his own. If Ned was going to bunt him I don't see him calling it off after one pitch. That to me seems more like a guy up there bunting on his own accord.

I think it was a sign, but I think he showed bunt purely to bring the infield in more. He took a cut at the next pitch. Managers sometimes do that to make the defense think bunt and increase the chance of a hit.

All in all, I'm not ready to write this one off. Another thing I can't quite figure out- did anyone here think that we were playoff bound? If you thought we were a division contender, than by all means start freaking out. Otherwise, you've got time untill things start getting hairy.

If you thought that playoffs was too high an expectation, and adjusted your thoughts to .500 ball, look at May's schedule and tell me they won't make a bit of a run.

If you were more realistic in your projections like myself and several others, you'd have said something like 72-78 wins and we're no where near off the pace for that. I personally thought that we'd get 74-78 wins and I'm sticking to it.

I figured 80 wins. Perhaps that was a little high. Perhaps I was a little high when I predicted it. In any case, I am not ready to throw my guess out the window with 13 games played. They are just three under .500 at this point with plenty of time to regain that lost ground.

Its like every year of school any here has taken. This year is going to be diffrent! I am going to do all my homework! It lasts for a week, and then its back to your old ways. Apply that to the Brewers or the fans predictions.

The thing you need to remember is the Dodgers were red hot coming into the game, and we still nearly beat them. That is my spin.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/nerd.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/devil.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/pimp.gif Hey gang. I'd like to sign on to the "it's early, don't give up yet" crowd. Despite recent bullpen meltdowns, I'd have to say that our pitching overall has been pleasing, and if given a choice, I'll take good pitching over good hitting. Obviously, Ben Sheets would prefer a little more run support and wouldn't we all.

Offensively, the last eight games or so have been quite frustrating what with Spivey's inspired strikeouts, Lee chasing "unhittable filth", Jenks' continuing slump and dry-heaving, JJ's no strikeout .125 or so avg.(with all of its hope) and everyone's ideological stance against getting hits with runners at second and third.

It's a cliche to say that these guys'll come around, but sometimes cliches are cliches for a reason. They can be true. In addition, I don't think Butch or Ned should be on the hot-seat yet. I personally think we should calm down before we start calling for peoples' heads 13 games in to the season.

A hitting coach is important but not as important as the hitter. And Yost has made some questionably over-aggressive baserunning calls and such, but I think it is early enough that adjustments can be made.

Perhaps, the excitement of the upcoming roadtrip with the danger and excitement and unfamiliarity of foreign cities can get the Brewers and their bats to let loose and have fun a bit.

If someone were to tell you before the season that after 13 games we'd be 5-8, you certainly wouldn't be pleased as punch, but I also don't think you would be throwing things, yelling at your neighbors, flinging darts at a poster of Wyneger, etc. You'd say "well, that's too early to formulate an accurate perception of the overall prospects for this team this year, but 5-8 is a little disappointing. But early."

Losing 5 in a row brings out the worst in us all. Losing some of the games in the manner in which we did, especially Tuesday's game, makes it exponentially frustrating. But, we have not really been blown out this year. And for a game to be frustrating, you have to be in the game. We've had a chance to win in almost every game this year.

Plus, if you can lose 5 in a row, you can also win 7 in a row. Maybe we can reverse last year's dynamic. I seem to remember a couple times sweeping a 3 game series only to get swept in the next 4 game series. It's the old game of 1 step forward, 2 steps back. In this year's context, perhaps we can take 1 step back and follow with taking 2 steps forward.

Anyhow, these are this brewerfan's feelings. Perhaps they are naive; perhaps they ignore history, but I don't ignore my gut.

Archived