Brewer Fanatic

4/19/05 - Dodgers(Cy Dessens) vs. Brewers(Glover) 12:05 CT

RyDogg66
  • Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bunting also eliminates the possibility of a double play. Which is another reason why it would make sense. It's simple baseball, bunting runners over so a single scores two runs. That has been the thinking teams I've played for have always used, in Little League, in High School and in college.

Yet, seeing as you "refuse to change your opinion", you probably won't care what conventional baseball wisdom says.

Well,

Just when i thought this season couldn't get anymore depressing, this trainwreck happens. Man, I am really starting to lose all optimism for this team. I realize it's a long season, but i was really hoping for a good start. Now we take this 5 game losing streak into one of our toughest road trips on the schedule this season. Boys, we better turn this around quickly, or we are in for another long Brewers season. Why can't we ever catch any breaks with this franchise??

Well boys....

I am just about done with this team. I can't take it anymore. I am have never such a bunch of ineptitude. Yost has to go. Melvin hasn't fielded this bad a team. Something is wrong with the way these guys are preparing. Yost needs to be the guy to go.

There is no reason this team should suck this bad.

I might have to make a conscious effort to jump off this bandwagon and get a new hobby because this is pointless with this crew.

With Prince and Rickie each hitting about .200 in Nashville, god only knows when the sun will shine on this team again. For now, my condolences to Mark Attanasio who just wasted his money on a bunch of slugs.

Well that was a bummer. I was really hoping your guys would come through. Still, overall I think the organization has turned in the right direction. There is cause for optimisum. I know it's been a long time for Milwaukee, but hang in there if you can.

SteveV

The problem with all of this is not just ONE badly executed play. These guys, collectively, make 10s of millions of dollars, and they consistently make mistake after mistake after mistake. They just have a lethal combination of NO TALENT and NO HEART. They are indeed painful to follow.

Prediction of Ned's after game quote: "wow, that sure was an exciting game, the fan's got their money's worth, we had a couple of things that hurt us, the game could have gone either way"

(I am sure the guys do remember their ATM PIN numbers to collect their payroll; I only forgive them if they go to the ATM and they excute badly, cannot enter the PIN, and after three strikes the card is chewed up; but I suspect that these guys do indeed know how to buckle down and enter the PIN code under pressure - unlike the terribly complex skills of baseball, which seem to elude them on a daily basis)

The thing is this:

You still need someone to hit the baseball. When you have a bunch of .200 or worse hitters backing up Miller, the last thing you should be doing is asking him to give himself up. About the only chance the team had after he struck out was for the Dodgers to screw up in the field, or for the pitcher to throw out a fatty for someone to hit out of the yard.

As some of you might know, I'm largely anti-bunt. I think it can be a good play, but I think it's sorely overused in baseball from a sacrifice standpoint, and not enough guys try to bunt for base hits anymore.

If the Brewers have runners on first and second (with the crappy part of the order about to come up) in a one-run game, I'm all for bunting. But asking the last good hitter due up in the inning to give himself up when his team is down two runs is ridiculous IMHO.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Another day, another disgusting game.

Losing 5 in a row at home, and now starting an 8 game road trip to three good teams. I've got a really bad feeling our record is going to look just awful when we get back. Bad defense in general, making out after out on the bases, etc..

We're just awful right now IMO.

About the only chance the team had after he struck out was for the Dodgers to screw up in the field, or for the pitcher to throw out a fatty for someone to hit out of the yard.

Exactly. A base hit wouldn't have won it. The tying run was still on 1st. A bunt allows a Texas Leaguer to win it.

So our much-heralded bullpen finally implodes as we knew it would, and NOW people are getting ready to jump ship and claim they're done with the Brewers?

Apparently, 12 seasons of losing baseball isn't enough to break people, but 12 seasons and 13 games, that's Scoop's limit, apparently.

So say Miller hits a single there instead of bunting. The fact is some part of the "bad part of the order" still needs to come up with a hit. So your point is moot. Bunting is a huge part of playing smart baseball. It helps manufacture runs, which is the whole goal of an offense.

Ask any coach at any level about bunting, and I am willing to bet over 90% would bunt in a similar situation with what we had today.

As for the "bad part of the order", these guys aren't little leaguers that are so terrible that they don't know how to swing at the ball. They are major league ball players who have made a living hitting baseballs. So obviously they are capable of doing just that.

Quote:
I am just about done with this team. I can't take it anymore. I am have never such a bunch of ineptitude. Yost has to go. Melvin hasn't fielded this bad a team. Something is wrong with the way these guys are preparing. Yost needs to be the guy to go.

Yost isn't going anywhere, nor is he the problem. Failure to execute is the problem. If JJ gets the squeeze on the ground, its a 2 run lead and the Brewers most likely win. If Miller gets his bunt down, there are runners on 2nd and 3rd with only one out - that could have changed the inning. Instead he looks at strike 3. Adams did not get ahead of enough hitters in the 9th... then he gets ahead 0-2 and the guy drives in the tying run.

Heartbreaker.

But, unlike Scoop, I'm not willing to "give up" on this team yet. C'mon... we are only 13 games into the season!

square...

This team is heartless. I am at the point where I can't defend them anymore. I have been in countless arguments trying to convince people about the direction of this team but I can't do it anymore. If someone says "the brewers suck, why do you watch them?", I won't defend them. How could you? Right now this team is in danger of imploding and losing 110 games.

am just about done with this team. I can't take it anymore. I am have never such a bunch of ineptitude. Yost has to go. Melvin hasn't fielded this bad a team. Something is wrong with the way these guys are preparing. Yost needs to be the guy to go.

With this line of thinking, the Yankees should be firing Joe Torre soon. I've loved the Crew my whole life and I'm not stopping now. Everytime I watch. listen, or go to a Brewer game, I'm not watching it to win the National League Pennant; I'm watching it to win that game. Mark these words:

SOMEDAY THE CREW WILL GET TO THE PROMISED LAND, AND PEOPLE WILL EITHER EAT THEIR WORDS OR ACT LIKE THEY NEVER SAID THEM.

Fan till the day I die. Let's win tomarrow.

well I for one will stick with the Brewers. I'm not gonna bail on em now...but wow what a rough loss. Phelps clearly needs more time in AAA

one huge unknown factor with the Crew is the attitude of the new owner. For all we know Yost could be fired by the all-star break, for all we know Yost could still be our manager in 2009

Archived