Brewer Fanatic

8/12/2003 Brewers (Franklin) @ Phillies (Duckworth)

squarepusher

East Coast starting time of 6:05 PM CST. Duckworth comes off a respectable 6 IP, 6 H, 2 ER outing in Colorado, but is still in danger of being moved to the pen. Franklin comes off two lousy performances, with an August ERA of 14.00.

Brewerfan.net / Statfox Matchup Info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

Wayne Franklin Player Profile:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=368

I just got back from the game (I live in Philly; I'll be seeing the whole series). A few random impressions, for what they're worth. Franklin's command seemed consistently spotty. He would have a game plan against one hitter, then lose the strike zone on the next guy. He got a lot of fly ball outs, but he got grounders when he needed them most. His fastballs were mostly 89, topping out at 91. A very hard pitcher to read. In the first, Podsednik fouled off a 3-1 pitch way high and outside as Young ran from first -- either the hit-and-run was on or Pods blanked on the count. Clayton looked great at shortstop, hopeless at the plate. Estrella and Kolb look like the best 8th-9th guys we've had in a while. Kolb's fastball was hitting 98 routinely. He only threw one pitch under 94, a wickedly located 91. I guess it was his changeup. He could really use a second pitch; Thome sat on the fastball and creamed one for a double. Kolb worked the corners beautifully, though. All in all, the Brewers played with an air of concentration and purpose, impressive for a last place team in August. A game like this gives me hope for some moderately exciting action next year.

Our Philly friend says Kolb was hitting upper nineties consistently, yet the radar gun on Foxsports indicated 90,91,92 for most part...which is it? Does Fox typically have a "slow gun?" God I hate how all radar guns arent created equal.

Our Philly friend says Kolb was hitting upper nineties consistently, yet the radar gun on Foxsports indicated 90,91,92 for most part...which is it? Does Fox typically have a "slow gun?" God I hate how all radar guns arent created equal.

Fox doesn't have their own dedicated gun... I believe they just have ones in place at each stadium and the broadcasts share them.

I was worried about Kolb's velocity, actually. If he really was throwing 90-91-92 and not 96-97-98, that is not good... and it could very well be a sign of an injury. Daron and Bill were commenting on how he was throwing a sinker, which was very evident... it was obviously a two-seamer of some sort that was breaking down and in to right-handers quite sharply. Why he would want to throw that instead of his straight/hard fastball, I don't know. But if that was a conscious decision on his part to work on another pitch, that explains the velocity issue (he would need to take quite a bit off the two-seamer to get it to move that much).

If the Veteran's gun was clocking him at 96+, the real velocity was probably somewhere near 94/95. Regardless, they should be talking with him and perhaps shutting him down for a few days to make sure this isn't a sign of an injury... he has a history of arm problems and you can never be too safe.

~Bill

batman

If Kolb was throwing a new pitch, it would explain the velocity difference and the fact it was breaking.

And why would he go with a two-seam that drops down and in to righties? Well, let's see, those are more likely to be hit on the ground. Could be very useful with men on base - a double play will go a long way towards getting out of a jam.

Archived