Brewer Fanatic

8/14/2003 Brewers (Obermueller) @ Phillies (Wolf)

MassBrew

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You starting a thread for the Snapper game? I'm listening via the web.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

No, too busy listening to Wes Obermueller get lit up, although at 3-1 the damage has been minimized, bases left loaded twice.

Helms has been interesting, but the Phillie innings at-bat have been so long JP's running out of material:

"So do you have any cats or dogs?" -- Ugh.

But otherwise, Wes' country boy routine is playing well.

Ginter on base twice through three innings...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wes in is the booth? I need to switch over after the Snaps game.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On a light night here on the board, for the sake of those returning from Miller Park later:

Keith Ginter on base three more times. Yummy.

Has Richie Sexson ever met a double-play situation he didn't like? Sheesh.

Wow, an appeal at second base goes against the Phillies after Chase Utley tagged to third. I can't remember the last time that was called, and apparently it was a bad call.

Bullpen's been fine; will Obermueller get another chance? Heck, maybe we'll see Luis Martinez in his spot before Doug Davis' spot. All those guys will be up after September 1st.

Top of the ninth, due up in the 9th against RHP Mike Williams are:

Mark Smith

Perez

Clayton

Pitcher's spot

You've got Podsednik, VanderWal, and Kieschnick ready on the bench.

Now Yost pinch-hit Pods for the RH-hitting Smith. Scott walked, and I'm pretty sure Yost saw that as a leadoff-guy with speed thing, so I can't fault it completely. Yet somehow I was thinking let Smith (with one hit on the night) bat and save the bats for the next three spots.

Another frustrating "L" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Just back from the Vet. I think the appeal call on Utley was right; Young noticed immediately that Utley had left the bag too soon. I wish EY was a Cub or something by now, but he had a brilliant night, terrorizing Wolf and snaring two ICBMs behind de los in the 7th (granted, he didn't have to move). Wolf and Obermuller made for an interesting contrast, aside from the results . . . Wes needs a third pitch. He was okay when he was throwing his 92-mph heater for strike one, but as soon as his control faltered, the hitters ignored his slider, waited for him to groove a fastball behind in the count, and hit ropes at will. Do 26 year-olds develop third pitches? If not, Wes needs to be in middle relief. Clayton had no fielding chances tonight, making him officially roadkill, except that roadkill at least has a sort of twisted Americana value. But nobody looked as bad as Jenkins' first two ABs against Wolf; he should have just improvised from the right side. Question of the night: WHY IS MARK SMITH ON THIS TEAM?

As the charming locals like to say, Ph**k you.

I like Wes, and apparently so does Nedley.

"I've been happy with Wes," Yost said. "He didn't get behind and he battled. He kept us in the game. He's a young kid who did a fairly good job tonight."

This is getting rather sad. It's hard to have confidence in a manager that uses one word (and its various derivatives) in every single interview he ever does. I mean, really... has he ever met a cliche he didn't like?

~Bill

I dont read a lot of Yost quotes, and i was almost sure this one was made up... MAN, I finially understand "battle"

its great though, he knows that without overall talent, the only way the Crew can win is to have more "heart" and fight for the victory...either that or get lucky

by the way, it seems as if OB1 could have gotten tagged a little harder, its better than what Rusch/Q were doing in the 1st half of the season.

I wonder what the stats would look like if we merged Podsednik's 1st half and Ginters 2nd half

Replays showed Utley tagged up properly. His upper half was in motion, but his foot was on the bag when Clark caught it. That's a play that should never be called unless it is so obvious you can't help but call it. Otherwise, that's an easy call to botch.

Wes didn't pitch badly at all. He's done fine in 3 of 4 starts. After letting Ben give up 8 earned in 5, Ned had a quick hook tonight, though Wes' pitch count was high.

Oh, to have an entire team of Keith Ginter types. Watching EY have 3 straight balls thrown to him in the 9th, yet swing at two of them, shows that despite a long career, he wouldn't know plate discipline if it hit him in the face. Keith never seems to swing at a bad pitch unless he has two strikes.

Archived