Brewer Fanatic

7/31/03 - Brewers (Kinney) @ Mets (Heilman)

squarepusher

Kinney will get his chance to pitch well against a weak NY Mets offense. If he doesn't, his hold on a rotation spot will be shaky at best.

A day game on the trade deadline. It's safe to say Doug probably won't be taking this one in http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Brewerfan Matchup Info:

www.brewerfan.net/matchup.jsp

Matt Kinney Player Profile:

www.brewerfan.net/ViewPla...ayerId=380

I think I just heard Nedly say that Clayton will be hitting in the two hole, with Hall batting 8 and playing second. God help us.

It is getaway day so it is not uncommon for EY to get the day off...although....

If yost continues his pattern, Clayton will be be batting first soon.

How the hell do you bat Clayton second? Clayton didn't even want to bat in the 7 hole when he started off great. Maybe it's because after the 2 intentional walks yesterday, Clayton's OBP saored to .289, and Yost couldn't resist.

O wait, I've got it! Yost WANTS Clayton to break the record for most nit into double play mark. Unfortunetely, Clayton wasn't given enough opportunities in the #8 spot. Perfect solution is to put him right after Pods!!!

Seriously though, when Pods walked no out and Clayton up, who thought Clayton would even hit it out of the infield. At this point, probably 90% of Clayton's hits are lazy grounders to the SS or 2B.

Rant over...... for NOW! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yost likes to rest EY on Sundays..... maybe also the last game of a road trip?

Nice to see Hall added to the proud list of players that take at bats away from Ginter. Hard to compete with future Hall of Famers like Helms, Clayton, EY and Cruz.

Really, I want Yost to tell me what his plan really is. If he used the words "battle" or "veteran" at any point in his explanation, I think I'd have to pop him in the nose.

Yost has rested EY every time they've played a day game after a night game....usually with Keith Ginter. Today, it's Bill Hall instead (I'm not reading anything into it).

As to why Clayton would be batting second, it's probably to protect Hall, although Royce has hit .300 over the past week.

How many pitches did Clayton take before he grounded into the double play in the third?

Good grief....Billy Hall was doing a great job in the leadoff spot at Indy....bat him leadoff, leave Podzilla in his normal #2 spot, and bat clayton #9.

(That's not a type-o, Clayton should be batting after the pitcherhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif )

I'm following online: how did Perez score from second on a wild pitch?

Crazy, huh? Apparently the pitch bounced off Phillips' mask and he couldn't find it. Eddie had his PF Flyers on and scored standing up.

~Bill

Crazy, huh? Apparently the pitch bounced off Phillips' mask and he couldn't find it. Eddie had his PF Flyers on and scored standing up.

Eddie was immediately put on oxygen....he may be out a few days from exhaustion.

Quote:
How about Scotty P going 3 for 4 and getting his AVG back above .300. Hopefully he is coming out of his miny slump:-).

5 game hitting streak now. Excecpt for the past couple weeks, it seems like he's always had a hitting streak going.

We are tied or better than every other last place team. That's not good but it sure feels better than just last week.

It's sad but as a kid I always felt like every team had a shot going into a new season. Forever optimistic. I don't feel like we have a shot but with the old management gone I do feel like we will be able to hold our heads up again.

The AP Wire article today is pretty funny.

Seemingly in slow motion, Eddie Perez hit third base and turned for home.

No way this slow-footed catcher could score from second on a wild pitch, right?

There was no way the stumbling New York Mets could stop him.

Perez's long journey around the bases helped the Milwaukee Brewers beat the New York Mets 4-3 Thursday and prompted his teammates to give him a new nickname.

"They call me Seabiscuit now," Perez said.

Perez snapped an 0-for-17 slump with an RBI single that gave the Brewers a 3-1 lead in the eighth. He moved up on a sacrifice and scored from second when Edwin Almonte's wild pitch caromed off catcher Jason Phillips' mask toward the first-base dugout.

"I thought about pinch-running for him, too. With that speed, who needs a pinch-runner?" Milwaukee manager Ned Yost deadpanned. "That was nothing short of a miracle."

Mets first baseman Tony Clark finally retrieved the ball and threw home, but it was too late.

"I haven't seen too many bounces like that," Clark said. "To make matters worse, it kind of ricocheted into the corner instead of going into the dugout."

Seabiscuit. That's great.

~Bill

Archived