Brewer Fanatic

8/05/03 - Braves (Ramirez) @ Brewers (Kinney)

MassBrew

Just had an interview with Weeks on TV. Seems like a real nice guy, already signing autographs for the kids sitting behind him. Also seemed real nervous, and with good reason. Can't wait to see him start playing.

Didn't last long until it became a typical Kinney game. Coast along for 5-6 innings, then bam multiple mistakes and before you know it 3 runs on the board. All the scoring was with 2 outs. Kinney doesn't lack the physical abilities, he just lacks the mental toughness to succeed at the Major league level.

I was really impressed with his showing through five innings, but that sixth inning pushed his outing to "average", and likely results in another loss for the Crew....

although, 6IP 3ER, given Atlanta's devastating offense, isn't that bad.... here's to the 2004 #1 Draft Pick (lol, i originally typed 1994.... we haven't been this bad that long have we?), and hopefully a #20-#25 draft pick in 2005...

You know a pet peeve of mine? On BBTN, whenever Richie hits a big HR and Ravech calls it, he'll yell "Richard Sexson!" I guess using his full name makes it cool or something. However, you'd think that it being ESPN, someone, anyone, would clue the moron in that his first name is Richmond, not Richard.

Geoff Jenkins just has to win a Gold Glove this year. No errors, plenty of assists, and highlight reel catches like tonight's.

On that Robert Fick triple, the Brave announcers made a point of mentioning how far over Podsednik was to right-center. I'm literally screaming as Perez sets up outside and sure enough the ball is laced the other way to the left-center gap. Aarrgh...

Ray King needs to stay away from the carbs.

The WTBS team was pitiful. "Can't understand why DeJean is in in the 7th", and they spent the entire ninth inning discussing Dan Kolb right out of the Brewer media guide. Unfortunately, everything they mentioned was about the High Desert pitcher. "Gee, he looks bigger than 6'1", 190" and "how about that scouting, this kid was in Beloit last year."

The Buckethead Brigade looks cool on TV.

Awful situational hitting again tonight, I mean really awful. Richie bailed out a bunch of guys tonight.

Separated at birth -- John Burkett and Darren Holmes. Try the Grecian formula, guys.

Looks like we've got ourselves a closer.

Kept waiting for a shot of the owner's booth and the Brewerfan gang http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Kinney got ahead of a ton of batters, that's one tough Atlanta lineup. At pre-arby, he'll be fine as the # 4 guy next year, would be outstanding as the # 5.

Let's get Maddux on Wednesday.

Didn't last long until it became a typical Kinney game. Coast along for 5-6 innings, then bam multiple mistakes and before you know it 3 runs on the board. All the scoring was with 2 outs. Kinney doesn't lack the physical abilities, he just lacks the mental toughness to succeed at the Major league level.

Poor play(s) by Pod led to three runs - was shaded well to right-center with catcher set up outside, plus poor fielding on the hop (sliding?) let the ball get away and let Fick get to third. Cheap single (IIRC) led to third run - if Fick is on second there's a play at the plate with Jenkins' arm. Pod plays it right and they don't get three runs - he plays closer to center and he catches the ball and they get no runs. Only one ball hit hard that innning, so its hard to fault Kinney.

It is a statistical fact, that I have proven in previous posts, that a hitter's OPS rises the more often he faces a pitcher in a game (see Keith Ginter, Ritchie Sexson, etc.). That's not a lack of "mental toughness" by the pitcher, that's hitters making adjustments from seeing more pitches. It happens.

I believe six innings with three or fewer runs, which this was, qualifies as a quality start. How can you fault a pitcher for a quality start? Were you expecting him to pitch a shutout into the seventh? How often does Curt Schilling or Pedro Martinez pitch a shutout into the seventh?

David, you're the only guy I know who will complain about a quality start. Most of your complaints are warrented, but not this one.

If Kinney had scattered the 3 runs throughout the 6 innings, you all would be saying he had a great outing. As it is, he DID pitch very good. Let's not forget that this is his first full year in the bigs.... he may turn out to be a decent #3.

I was at the game last night, sitting right next to the bucket brigade, I might have to go to the next brigade game on 8/19, anyway....the game was great. Some great plays, and some awful ones as well.

1. Keith Ginter hit the ball on the screws a couple of times. He flew out to deep center in the 6th. and his HR was way outta here.

2. Jenkins is unreal with the glove that catch made my night.

3. Podsednik chickened out on that triple by Fick. When the ball was hit I thought for sure it was extra bases but Scotty really tracked it. Just when it looked like he was gonna catch it, he bailed quite a ways from the track with that slide, and I am not even sure the ball hit the wall on the fly. He should have made that catch, and a better, more experienced CF would have. It almost cost us the game and it cost Kinney a nice start.

4. Kinney really did not pitch that bad, needed to find his control at times but worked out of the minor jams he got into

5. EY is a horrible fielder

6. Richie was clutch a game I was at...and Clayton had an extra base hit, I wrote both of those down as I doubt it has happened on the same day so far this year.

Finally, it was a lot of fun to be at. The bucket brigade made it almost like a High School or college basketball game atmoshphere and that was really really cool.

David, you're the only guy I know who will complain about a quality start. Most of your complaints are warrented, but not this one.

6IP, 3 runs is a quality start. It also is a pitcher with a 4.50ERA and not every start will be a quality start. My comments were that Kinney has the stuff to be a very good starter, but it seems in every game he falls asleep or loses concentration and he gives up a bunch of runs. Compared to Sheets and several other pitchers with similar numbers, Matt gives up many more multiple run innings than other pitchers. He can go most of the game without making mistakes, then when 1 happens, he gets unnerved, then another happens, and before you know it he's given up 3 runs. That's not a physical problem, it's a mental problem. If he didn't have the ability to be a better pitcher I wouldn't mind so much, but we've all seen that he has some good stuff. Maybe a light will go on, maybe not, but as he is he's a #5 starter.

David, I agree with you on this (gasp!). Kinney has given up a lot of 3 run HRs and Grand Slams this season. He seems to make bad mistakes with guys on base a lot. He'll cruise until he gets a baserunner or two, then leave a fat pitch out there that gets crushed. This could keep him from becoming a top of the rotation starter. I'm not sure how he would fix this, or if he even could, but it would be nice to see him bear down a battle harder when he gets men on base. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

That is the last of many balls hit over Pods head that didn't hit the wall. Dare I say it, he plays too shallow.

I really enjoyed the TBS crew last night, after a season of Daron & Bill. Mature and relaxed.

I'd sit as far away from the Brigade as I could, but I'm glad others enjoy it. Rythmic clapping bores me to tears.

Watching the Bucket Head Brigade last night was fun. Probably not the fans most intent on watching the intricasies of the game, but a group that was having a lot of fun. That sort of atmosphere is what puts butts in the seats.

I think back to all of the years that the Badgers were awful, but it didn't matter the fans went nuts the whole time anyways. When I was little we took some friends of the family from out of state to a game. The Badgers got creamed, but nobody left. The 5th quarter was as wild as ever. Our guests were looking around in disbelief. The wife looked over to her husband and said "didn't they lose hunny?".

The Bucket Brigade could grow into a very fun tradition. I think that next season they should have it WAY more often.

Anyways, here's to a great Brewer WIN!!!!!!!!

Well I think it might lose something if done too often, Tuesdays during homestands seems pretty good that's like 10 a year or so. Anything to make the Brewers more entertaining. Of course it worked so well since it was an impromptou idea, not carefully crafted by the marketing department and hence that gimmicky feel.

Archived