Brewer Fanatic

8/02/03 - Brewers (Manning) @ Expos (Vazquez)

MassBrew

Well, Gord Ash admitted this week that soon-to-be 31-year-old David Manning is making the start tonight because it "was his turn to pitch".

On one note, it's nice to see a guy rewarded after pursuing his dream for 12 minor league seasons, including a lost 2001 season due to injury.

On the other hand, Manning had been pretty run-of-the-mill poor at Indy the last few weeks, so it's really up to him as to whether this will be his only opportunity. The Brewers won't need a fifth starter again until next Saturday, and Luis Martinez (pitching tomorrow at Indy) will be available on normal rest next weekend.

Oh yeah, facing Javier Vazquez won't help things any...

Hey, what's everybody doing checking out his fly??http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

At least we can take away one positive from this game. Dave Burba seems to have found his niche in middle relief. Still a small sample size, but the difference has been night and day.

Of course, Burba was aided by the fact that the Expos lineup was probably tired out from being on base so much.

It just kills me to see that teams like Florida and Montreal somehow manage to be competitive despite drawing 3,000 fans a game, but our own Brewers continue to stink despite drawing much bigger crowds and playing in a palace of a stadium.

Very very frustrating.

http://www.brewerfan.net/images/other/ajay.jpg

It just kills me to see that teams like Florida and Montreal somehow manage to be competitive despite drawing 3,000 fans a game, but our own Brewers continue to stink despite drawing much bigger crowds and playing in a palace of a stadium.

That's an excellent observation AJAY. Maybe you should email Ulice Payne and ask him why that's the case. Better yet, maybe the next time a Brewerfan.net group runs into Ulice they can ask him why. I'm not expecting an honest answer, but it seems like we've never seen that question asked and the PR answer in the MJS. Maybe we could get a Brewerfan.net exclusive: Ulice Explains why the Brewers Suck! Actually, I wold love to see Ulice explain why Baseball economics hurt the Brewers more than other small market teams.

Burba looks like a different pitcher now that he's in the pen than he was the last few years. As a starter, he threw everything he could dream up at the plate, now he has cut his repertoire down to just the sinker and slider. He's had better control and pitches more aggressive out of the pen. This is the exact same thing Mike Morgan did at the end of his career, and he went on to have a few solid years out of Arizona's bullpen.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived