Brewer Fanatic

7/28, Brewers (Rusch) vs. Mets (Seo)

"OK Geno, this:

Instances like this are the very reason why I cringe at some of JP's announcing. I don't expect ANY announcer to openly criticize his own organization.

Preceeded by this:

But as far as "balanced", that's far from accurate. When Jeff Cirillo was here, JP lauded his bat and prowess at the hot corner. But once he was no longer part of the organization with the trade to Colorado, JP in hindsight criticized his lack of speed, his range at 3rd, and said 'we need a bigger bat from 3rd base.' When Lenny Harris was brought in, JP praised him as a 'stabilizing veteran force in our clubhouse that's badly needed.' When he signed with the Cubs, JP said 'clubhouse leadership is overrated.' When Jose K and Burny were here, their staggering strikeout totals were not a problem. But once they were gone, JP pointed to a 'real need to improve that area.' Other deserving targets, such as Royster, Hammonds and Wendy escaped without a scratch. That's hardly balanced reporting.

So if you don't expect anyone to criticize the organization, then wasn't this paragraph contradictory to that?"

You're probably right, Peavey. Tough to say. The word "openly" is the key here, I guess, and so is "expect." I admit I probably should have written "routinely criticize" or "show open hostility toward." Those phrases suggest an ongoing animosity eminating from the team's own radio or TV booth, which no one expects, or even likes.

But I do think it builds and fosters a sense of credibility and balanced reporting when you're not afraid to speak out against poor managerial decisions, or bad trades/signings.

The other part of my assertion here addresses the times when JP changes his views on a player, before during or after his stint as a Brewer. He told us Sean Berry was the answer when we got him. Kevin Barker, Henry Blanco and many others too. But once they're gone, his sense of revisionist history kicks in, and we hear spin like 'the catcher position has been a hole here for a while now' and 'we're better off at 3rd base now.' JP has gone on record as hating the mound theatrics of Jose Lima, which is fine. But what if Doug would have signed him, and he'd have rattled off a 7-0 start for Milwaukee? Jim would probably call him 'a character' and possibly 'misunderstood.' It makes you wonder what to believe at the time he says it, and that draws you back to the credibility issue.

So, I think I could have phrased it more specifically, but I'd hope you agree that calling the other team "losers" is not something that makes us proud to be Brewer fans. If the Padres announcer called our team 'losers', it would be inappropriate just the same, whether it was technically accurate or not.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

[ Jim would probably call him 'a character' and possibly 'misunderstood.' It makes you wonder what to believe at the time he says it, and that draws you back to the credibility issue. ]

Yeah, Geno... just like when JP mentioned Wendy's "beaver"???

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

"It makes you wonder what to believe at the time he says it, and that draws you back to the credibility issue. ]

Yeah, Geno... just like when JP mentioned Wendy's "beaver"???"

Exactly! See? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Powel made a joke that the Mets were losers..... and they are really easy to pick on right now. Everyone else blasts the Brewers to smithereens, why can't Powel kick a team back when they are down?

Really.... maybe we have a couple closet Mets fans here.

"See Geno.... if YOU can't tell the difference between beaming and beaver do YOU have a credibility issue? "

But wasn't that JP who mistook the 2 words? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

Anyway, there's never been a difference between "beaming", "beaver" or even the new 2004 "beemer" Wendy drives.

And since when has credibility been an issue for a closet Mets fan like myself? That's right...I've always been a Mets fan, and that's why I've posted here, at ESPN and at Fastball since the 90's...to set everything up to finally one day shed my Brewer-logo Zubas, and expose myself to you as the Big Apple polisher that I truly am. I've been waiting 5 years for this day, I tells ya...

Free at last...to be the loser that I am!

Archived