Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers' Surgery

DHonks
Quote:
Couldn't seem to find the article that stated "chronic bursitis" but then I'm not a medical student and was not there.

She didn't say "Chronic Bursitis", but it seems to me you all are just splitting hairs.

sports.mainetoday.com/loc...ogers.html

Here's a link to the full story that was referenced. While his mother is certianly no medical expert, in going back through the posts I'm unsure how Prometheus inaccurately reported anything. It appears more or less that he reported only what the local newspaper reported, only to be thrown under the bus.

Misinformation is a problem to be sure, but when we're all searching for any information possible, I don't see how passing on what's printed in the local paper is any more or less damning than anything else. If he would have posted a link, he would have saved himself the trouble of having to prove that he accurately reported was in print.

Though I did enjoy the pictures...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well after looking at the pictures and the detailed description of the procedure and doing some research on my own here tonight, It worries me that's i have a SLAP in my right shoulder... it pops out all the time when I throw right handed. The pain is mind numbing for a couple of minutes, then it's fine again.

As far as Rogers is concerned, it's no wonder so few pitchers come back from that... the 2D picture really doesn't do a spherical joint justice. If that's indeed the procedure mark underwent, the percentages can't be good for a full recovery, but I'll continue to hope that one injuried prospect will end up and effective starting pitcher for the big league club. I know D'Amico came back, but he was more of a flash in the plan half a year of success type.

I spent most of the evening going back through articles about protecting young pitchers, the piggy backing starters the Brewers tried and all of that. I had forgotten the excellent articles Batman had on the site here, among others I stumbled across again. Unfortunately there's no sure fire way to prevent injuries, the Brewers wouldn't intentionally try to harm Mark by having him change his mechanics. After all they have an investment in Mark, and not just financially, when you're projected to be a top of the rotation starter or closer, you're more than just a draft pick. Did they do the wrong thing by trying to protect him? Maybe, I'm unsure, I don't know that anyone really knows the answer for sure.

Someone mentioned earlier that young pitchers tend to overthrow when they get in trouble, and that got me thinking, because I had always done that when I was in a tight spot. I remember some balls I threw from the mound and from left field that hurt all the way down my left side to my hip. Hell, throwing some deep routes to the receivers last year I did it a couple of times. I have no where near the arm speed as Mark, and I can only imagine what that torque would eventually do to a shoulder. It's a wonder that any MLB pitchers last longer than a couple years, it's just an unnatural motion.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

While his mother is certianly no medical expert, in going back through the posts I'm unsure how Prometheus inaccurately reported anything.

You mean like on 1/12 when he claimed that Mark was in Maine the evening of his surgery, which took place in Texas?

There are plenty of good questions to be asked on what is going on with Mark, his health, and just what was done during his surgery, but the aggressive, and condescending tone he is using is inexcusable when you are talking about some poor kid's professional future, health, and his family's right to keep to themselves if they feel their frankness is being abused.

I don't think there is any question that no injury is intentional. It's only very unfortunate that it perhaps could have been correctly diagnosed last summer and we all would have been having this conversation at that time. Then all we would be concerned about right now is him coming off rehab for this spring.

It really makes no sense to be dotting i's and crossing t's at this point. A lesson learned by both parties( hopefully in time)! If it was a marriage I don't think anyone has much luck changing anybody...you go with what got him there and for him to not let anybody put you thru this again.(my personal opinion)

It's one thing to intentionally mislead someone, and it's another to pass along what you're told or read. I'm sure he just didn't "pull the rumor out of the air".

I guess coming from a small town in northern WI I'm more tolerant of the rumor mill, because that's really all there is to do... besides drink, make 4 wheeler/snowmobile sounds 24 hours a day, and so on. I hated it, but I understand how fast rumors perpetuate themselves in that environment.

The unfortunate part of this type of communication is that people pass off opinion and rumor as fact, they always have and always will.

Quote:
inexcusable when you are talking about some poor kid's professional future

That's simply your opinion... he debated the severity of the injury, he didn't imply anything personal about Mark, those comments were made by another poster. As far as the other poster that questioned Mark's willingness to change, well Mark himself said that his control didn't start to return until he truly bought into the program himself.

I quote from this article, that was posted here previously..

mlb.mlb.com/news/article....p&c_id=mil

Quote:
"When I really bought into it -- not just in bullpens but off the mound, too -- that's when I started to click," Rogers said. "Last year things felt very foreign, but now it feels totally fluid and natural."

That was simply his interpetation of those comments. I don't think Mark meant he was unwilling to change, it's more likely he wasn't seeing the results in games and didn't "have the faith". I haven't seen anything posted by anyone that wasn't previously talked about in this minor league forum in regards to Mark. However, I would think that everyone here is rooting for Mark, just like every other prospect that's been injured and hit the comeback trail. With relative lack of success the Brewers have had with flame throwing high school draftees, it's very difficult not to be in the "here we go again" camp.

I wish Mark all the best and a speedy recovery.

- Plato

- Plato

Much better than I was hoping for.

- Plato

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It will be interesting what the Crew does with Rogers when he comes back. I could see them moving him to the bullpen, just to allow him to focus on getting two pitches thrown well (and with proper mechanics), and to work him back into pitching form.

I would almost guess his mechanics will be a lot closer to the original way he showed up and got him here. Other than moving around on the rubber and changing perhaps that position. "Proper mechanics" or versions of that don't always fit everybody and apparently did not in this case.

I would almost guess his mechanics will be a lot closer to the original way he showed up and got him here. Other than moving around on the rubber and changing perhaps that position. "Proper mechanics" or versions of that don't always fit everybody and apparently did not in this case.

I will guarentee you that this is not the way it is going to happen. No way in the world that the Brewers are going to nurse this guy back to health only to go back to improper mechanics. I know his family thinks he had great mechanics because they "worked for him" and that this injury was solely due to his mechanics being changed. I do not buy that for a second. I know Thunnis will come back with something that fits into his belief system, but I am not of that belief, and hope that Rogers comes back in 08 with a clean arm and a method of throwing that not only works well for him, but allows him to throw freely and with the lowest risk of re-injury - and his old motion definitely was not that.

First of all I'm not a fan of the term "improper mechanics", bad mechanics, great mechanics, [bad] mechanics.....it's far too argumentative. I also honestly don't remember where anyone around or from his family said or thought great mechanics.

I do think though that there must have been something in that kid the Brewers saw that led them to take him when they did as opposed to just signing a kid for $500.00 for a chance at minor leagues. If we were to go way back to rookie ball and his first fresh starts coming from Maine I'd say he started out doing what he was paid to do (stat wise) and probably would have continued down that road certainly at that time.

Now if you can take the $500.00 guy and change something to make him more competetive then give him the information and hope it works for him!

My hope would be that the body and muscles have a memory that allow a person to come back into that individuals comfort zone as he completes a rehab.

As far as the Brewers "nursing" him back I think it's more up to Mark nursing Mark back. He's the one that ultimately will do everything he needs to get back to 100% or not. I would suspect that he would do everything in his power to get to the point he would finally get handed a slot in the rotation.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

morningsentinel.mainetoda...48068.html

Rogers coming back strong after surgery

By PAUL BETIT

Blethen Maine Newspapers

Mark Rogers, the Milwaukee Brewers' first-round pick three years ago, doesn't know when he'll be able to pick up a baseball and pitch from a mound again.

But the hard-throwing right-hander from Orr's Island does know he feels a lot better than he did before undergoing arthroscopic surgery three months ago.

"I couldn't be happier than I am right now," he said. "My strength is coming back and I've had full range of motion for quite a while." In 2004, Rogers, 21, signed for $2.2 million after the Brewers made him the fifth pick in the major league draft following his senior year at Mt. Ararat High in Topsham.

Last July, his third pro season was cut short after his throwing shoulder stiffened while he was pitching for the Brevard County Manatees in the Class A Florida State League, and he returned to Milwaukee's training complex in Marysville, Ariz.

In January, Rogers underwent surgery in Fort Worth, Texas, to repair a torn labrum and tighten up a loose ligament in his right shoulder. More than three months after the surgery, Rogers appears to be recovering.

"From all the reports, he's progressing well and they feel he's going to make a full recovery," said Jim Rooney, Milwaukee's coordinator of minor league pitching. Rooney made it clear the Brewers don't intend to rush Rogers back.

"I don't know whether he will return this season," he said. "The medical staff will make that determination."

Currently, Rogers reports to Milwaukee's training facility in Arizona at 7 a.m. Monday through Saturday for a morning of physical rehab work, mostly weight lifting and running.

"Everything I do is monitored by a physicial therapist," he said. "He gives me a program every morning."

After more than three months of rehabilitation, Rogers sees improvement.

"I'm in the strengthening phase," he said. "I'm starting to do plyometrics, and I'm really, really starting to see results."

Rogers is scheduled to start throwing a baseball May 7.

"I'll start at 45 feet and gradually work my way back," he said. "I'll start throwing three times a week, and gradually move out to 50 feet, 60 feet, 90 feet, 120 feet."

When will Rogers return to the mound? "It all depends on how well I progress and whether I have any setbacks," he said.

• 2 months later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tom Haudricourt in the Journal-Sentinel:

Gord Ash said right-hander Mark Rogers, the Brewers' first-round draft pick in 2004, was making progress after undergoing shoulder surgery in January. The plan is to get Rogers ready to pitch in instructional ball in the fall.

Archived