Brewer Fanatic

Mark Rogers' Surgery

DHonks
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, unless we read Mark's weekly diary he wrote last year, or listen to the things Thunnis has said, who is an insider, or read the countless other articles written about Rogers.

I still have yet to read a single post by Thunnis where he has ever come close to stating Mark has "resisted" changing his delivery, let alone being uncoachable. In fact, he's only continually added weight that Mark did everything he was ased to do, yet still had problems anyways. Putting all of the blame onto Mark seems rather pointless, as we simply don't know everything involved. Reading an online diary or hearing the occasional insider information doesn't paint a complete picture, especially when it runs counter to what you are stating as fact.

I still have yet to read a single post by Thunnis where he has ever come close to stating Mark has "resisted" changing his delivery, let alone being uncoachable. In fact, he's only continually added weight that Mark did everything he was ased to do, yet still had problems anyways.

Thunnis stated that Rogers took off last season only after the team met Rogers half way instead of continuing to force Rogers to completely correct his mechanics. Rogers broke down weeks later.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'm not you that you are quoting what was stated only perhaps how you took it. If anything I think the coaching staff perhaps backed off on their approach to allow a little more freedom of selection. It almost sounds by your comment that you might be implying that he broke down after going back to "the old ways"??? I'm not sure what you mean by took off.

Either way it'll be in the hands of Mark to rehab as he is told. It's just unfortunate that the diagnosis was missed in house and the kid rehabbing when the problem could have and should been addressed with out going outside the box for a second opinion. Perhaps a lesson to be learned by any team mates with any discomfort.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I recall Rogers was very positive about the need to change his mechanics. Maybe he has some 'buyer's remorse' now but at the time he was supportive.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I would read that as a kid that was trying to do everything asked of him. It would also seem to put to rest the resistant to change theory. Buyers remorse? Sounds like he's darned if he does and darned if he doesn't.It would be nice to see him follow his gut instinct throw comfortably and be the pitcher that he could be....healthy and ready to go!

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

good luck with surgery in Texas and take care with the rehab

Thunnis' one-line post after a couple of weeks of inactivity within this thread is not only an indication that a surgical procedure is now finally scheduled, but also an indication that Mark's camp won out in determining who would perform the surgery (not the Brewers' doctors).

We had heard through the "grapevine" (not thunnis) that this had been an important point of contention over the past few weeks.

Regardless of those details, certainly our very best to Mark, still just 20 years old. We await details of the surgery results, and will pull a reverse jinx by indicating we don't want to see the word "labrum" anywhere in the eventual report.

Out of surgery, no suprises,6 month rehab and if followed to expect 100% recovery

No offense, but I'll believe a recovery time of 6 months from non-arthroscopic shoulder surgery when I see it.

From this moment, he's into July before he's throwing off the mound... yah, he's done for the year. Hate to say it, but next say hello to Mark Rogers sometime in 2008.

At what point was Rogers due to have surgery for a capsular shift? I don't even recall a torn labrum being reported. As far as we knew, he was scheduled to have arthoscopic shoulder surgery, which is about as tame (relatively) of a surgery as a pitcher can have.

I'm not going to jump the gun until details can be provided. Mark has a hard road ahead of him, as he did even without the injury, and I wish him the best of luck.

Probably why asked not to contribute.....to many made up stories to even compete

See?!?! Mark's being difficult, per usual!!! Oh my sweet deity on high, how could we have ever picked such a malcontent over the second coming of Cy Young, Homer Bailey?!?!? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Just to be clear on a couple things Mark's not being difficult, it was not he that asked for one thing. Secondly the report of him being back in Maine......that's about as accurate as the rest of that post. It really is unfortunate that you really can't give good info without an immediate twist.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Interesting note from an 'Ask BA' session - someone asked about Kyle Sleeth, the third pick in the 2003 draft. Here was Callis' response:

Sleeth got rocked once he reached Double-A in the second half of his 2004 pro debut, and the Tigers decided to modify his delivery afterward. He threw across his body and had been strong enough to get away with it, but he blew out his elbow shortly after modifying his mechanics. He worked just 37 innings this year and is still trying to regain the mid-90s fastball and quality breaking stuff he had at Wake Forest.

Sound familiar?

Archived