Brewer Fanatic

7/25 Brewers (Obermueller) at Rockies (Tsao)

MassBrew

From the Journal Sentinel:

Teams: Milwaukee Brewers (41-60) vs. Colorado Rockies (52-53).

When: 8 p.m. Friday.

Where: Coors Field, Denver.

Broadcasts: TV - WCGV (Channel 24). Radio - WTMJ-AM (620).

The lowdown: This game features a pitcher making his major-league debut, Rockies right-hander Chin-Hui Tsao, and a pitcher making his National League debut, Brewers righty Wes Obermueller. Tsao becomes the first Taiwanese pitcher to appear in the big leagues. He makes the jump from Class AA Tulsa, where he was 11-4 with a 2.46 earned run average and led the league with 125 strikeouts in 113 innings, with only 26 walks. Obermueller was obtained from Kansas City earlier in the month in the deal that sent reliever Curtis Leskanic to the Royals. He was leading the Pacific Coast League in victories at the time of the trade but went 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA in three starts with Class AAA Indianapolis. He replaces Matt Ford, who went 0-3 in four starts before going on the disabled list with a sprained elbow. Two pitchers making their debuts at Coors Field. Should be interesting.

Should be interesting.

Yes, I agree.

Will be weird not listening to Uecker and Powell (in Cooperstown), that's for sure.

Thank goodness all 3 games are on TV, as those two replacements will likely be unbearable.

Wayne Laravee (sp?) is an outstanding play-by-play guy, so it'll be better than you think. Bill Michaels is defintely a football-first guy, so his Brewer knowledge will probably be a bit limited (ie, don't expect a down on the farm report). It'll sure be different without Uke and Jim, but it'll be tolerable.

What will make Obermueller a good fit in Miller Park is his ability to get ground balls with that hard sinker. He seems rather polished for a guy that just starting pitching his senior year of college in 99.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I agree, Al. He looked very good. Some erratic pitches, but his strike to ball ratio was excellent. He should get at least three or four more starts and I'd have to think he'll earn a permanent spot in the rotation.

On a different note, how much do you want to be that Yost et. al. will use this game to justify Royce Clayton's placement in the lineup? "He's breaking out of it", "his luck is changing", "the balls are starting to drop", etc. will all be uttered after tonight's game, I'm sure. Fact is, he hit one solid fly-ball that would have been caught anywhere else, a weak roller up the middle, and then he got jammed on a first pitch pop-up. And how 'bout Schroeder quoting Butch Wynegar as saying that Royce has been hitting the ball hard but right at people? I hope that is Schroeder talking and not Wynegar 'cause that couldn't be further from the truth.

Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

EDIT: I lied, another rant. Bill Schroeder just said, when asked whether the Brewers should have Eric Young attempt a steal, "You can't just wait around out there for a couple of hits and a homer." This game is at Coors Field. The middle of the order, Jenkins and Sexson, is coming up next. You are down a run. It's the seventh inning. Hello?!?! In this situation, you can wait for a couple of hits and a homer. And you don't even need a couple of hits, just a long ball from Jenkins, Sexson, or Vander Wal. Stealing could result in the third out and would take the bat out of Jenkins' hands.

He doesn't do any research, he makes unwarranted assertions more often than talk radio hosts, he is utterly inconsistent in his beliefs, and he has no grasp of baseball strategy.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

Ok, now the rant is over. I promise. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

~Bill

OberBrewer did a very nice job. I was definitely impressed by the placement of his pitches.

[bOR]

Podzilla: I'm not sure if he's fatigued, unless it's so fatigued he can't get the bat off his shoulder on 2 strikes when the pitcher throws one down the middle. I missed the location of that last Strike Out Looking, but the first one looked pretty close to down the middle. He needs to learn to protect the plate with 2 strikes. Rookie mistakes.

[EOR]

He doesn't do any research, he makes unwarranted assertions more often than talk radio hosts, he is utterly inconsistent in his beliefs, and he has no grasp of baseball strategy.

Hmmmm.....I could have a career as a baseball broadcaster! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Is Bill Schroeder reading BrewerFan? As if on cue, talking about Tony Womack, he said "you hate to make outs on the bases when your team can hit home runs." Boy, Bill, a lot can change in a half inning, huh?

And David: I've changed my mind about Podzilla. I think he's abusing drugs. Or perhaps he just broke up with a girlfriend. But for whatever reason, he looks completely out of it.

~Bill

yes i was impressed by Wes outing tonight.

I would like to see 3 or 4 more starts and see how he pitches in Miller park.

Think Ned needs to spot start Clayton and Hall if not then Send Hall back and let him get work full time.

Scott needs time off and Clark needs to play some .

also notice the Darron seems to praise the other Teams alot.

Odd that we have to Wes' on the team? It's no Mouton's Foutons, but it's still odd. If Wes wants to go out for 6 innings every night and 3 ER that's a fairly solid improvement for the team. I'm not sure how much, because a person can certainly make the argument that you manage a game that Glendon let get out of hand a lot differently then a game you feel like you've got a good chance to win, and that may lead to some of the quite skewed records the team has. In fact I'd assert that with a couple of 4.5 ERA pitchers after our current top 3 and Ben doing about what he's done plus Hall instead of Clayton we're pretty close to .500. No one stands out as spectacular, but it's a team that doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. i.e. the KC model of how to win in a weak division

What has made this a bad team for years is not that its weaknesses were gaping holes, but that this team has no strengths or star players. Its been years since this team had a hitter have a 900 OPS. D'amico was the last starting pitcher to finish with an ERA under 4, and he did that just once.To improve this team its more important to add a legit #3 or 4 hitter and an ace pitcher than it is to find a better #4 and 5 pitchers or a better hitting SS or backup catcher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Nedley, what are you thinking?

" 'Vizcy' hadn't thrown in five days," Yost said. "I gave him an opportunity to step up but he struggled. That was pretty much it."

Why hadn't he thrown in five days? Because you haven't used him in that span. So don't act like you're doing him a favor by giving him an opportunity... even the best relievers in baseball can have some rust after a five day layoff.

I still believe that Luis is worth trying to save. If a DL stint or a DFA is what it takes, so be it. But when he's on, he's nearly unhittable. But thanks to Nedley, his ERA continues to climb because of a 5 day rest and a late-inning appearance at Coors.

What does Al say? Setting your players up to fail? Yep. Textbook example.

~Bill

Notice how Dejean never even got up last night. Ned has it engrained in his noggin that Mike, Leo, and Danny all pitch when tied or ahead, he can't make an exception, even down one in Coors.

Still much better than Lopester, but horrible game management. We're not talking about a guy who gave up 10 runs in an inning and has been OK since, Luis has been a consistent 8 ERA man. Pretending he has value is nothing but stubbornness.

Archived