Brewer Fanatic

7/23 Astros (Oswalt) at Brewers (Rusch)

MassBrew

if they dont trade ey, they dnt trade him...hes been a good ball player in mke...and i guess i can live with it...i mean, it would be great to find out what else we got..but the team hasnt given up on winning games yet

so they probably lan on keeping some of the talent

Playing only sporadically, Ginter has similar offensive numbers to EY. EY is AWEFULL defensively, Ginter is mediocre. EY steals some bases, yipee. Most importantly, EY has NO future with the Brewers, Ginter might.

I don't get it.

One more start like this, we can get a couple middling prospects for Rusch.

Am i mistaken or isnt Rusch under contract for around 5 million next year??

By the way AL i saw your dad is ill,best wishes to him.

My grandpa was very ill recently and i know its rough.

It's good to see Glendon pitching a bit better, but I think it's crazy to think that we can even get a couple of middling prospects for him.

While Jamey Wright was not exactly lighting it up (5-13 with a 5-ish ERA) when he was traded last year, he was clearly better than his record indicated, as his numbers added up to being just a shade under replacement level for the season in MIL - and considering how streaky Wright was and how good he was when his stuff was right, Im sure in the Cardinals minds it was worth a LH middle reliever from a cramped bullpen (Matthews) and a couple of low-level at-best prospects to find out. However, even with today's good start, Glendon is still probably a good 25 or so runs under replacement level - and if I were a scout, two decent starts after a season's worth of getting shelled certainly wouldn't make me recommend to my GM do give away even a couple of minor leaguers for him.

In addition, Glendon still has about $1.3 million left on his contract this season, and that figure jumps to $1.8 million if you include the $500K buyout after this year. I wouldn't mind paying the rest of his salary to get rid of him, but I highly doubt any contender would give up any prospect of value - which can be the only rationale for paying nearly $2 million to trade a guy - for two months of Glendon Rusch. You can easily buy a couple of mid-level prospects for a couple of million when the guy you are trading has actually been performing well all season, ala Curtis Leskanic. Hard to think that can happen with Rusch.

I have to vent a bit, which is something I really haven't done here yet. I guess it is time. Well I am sick and tired of this carousel of closers. VDLS just blew a save for glendon. I am just sick to death of it. Yost just put Kolb in there and let him throw the heat!!! Put Kolb in tonight the game is already over. The bullpen by committee just doesn't work and it cost people wins. Get it straight Yost!! Quit screwing around and just stick with Kolb!! Ok I am done!!

Jason, you are probably right, but you don't know what might happen if Rusch pitches well in his next start and someone is desperate to add another starter, especially LH. Also, given Rusch's performance to date I would think Milwaukee would be able to get him through waivers and trade him in August if he strings together a good 4 or 5 start stretch.

It's hard for me to believe that Rusch will be able to net us any prospects, at least until he puts together 2-to-3 more solid starts in a row. He might be a candidate for an August trade because he'd probably pass through waivers given his salary... and if he didn't, oh well - not a big loss, to be honest.

I still can't believe how bad he's been. He's never been a "good" pitcher, but he's always been decent. He's about as far from decent as it gets this year.

~Bill

Totally Agree Brewdude......Kolb should have been the man. He's the hot pitcher right now. Yost was trying for the matchup with turning Berkman around to bat righty, but obviously that didn't work. He needs to pick a guy and stick with him.

Even though Kolb surrendered the HR there it doesn't matter to the fact that he should have been closing it out. The first inning he was in tonight they went down, and he nailed the first two batters the next inning before the oops to Berkman. Regardless don't take it back Ralph because the point is still valid!!

Archived